UF10 and iPod - is it worth getting an amp?
Nov 13, 2008 at 9:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

encrypted_trance

Head-Fier
I have an iPOD classic (160GB) and Nano 3G which I am using with the UE UF10 Pros. I am happy with the sound but the thought of whether I may be able to improve it with a portable amp (I travel for a living) is bugging me...largely because I have no idea!

Any advice would be most appreciated. I don't want to spend megabucks for miniscule improvement. I'm not an audiophile, I just like my music to be involving and emotive...I listen mostly to vocal and uplifting trance as well as rock....

Nov 13, 2008 at 11:17 PM Post #2 of 19
I would advise you to save money and invest in a decent rig. You should be alright with your setup right now. And try the way I've suggested people before (No one seems to be paying any attention), use a line out dock adapter (iBasso or some other place) with an in-line volume attenuator. iPod hiss gets eliminated completely. Refinement across the complete spectrum. Doesn't even cost you a fortune and its a solid investment as you'll using it with an amp in future if you decide to get one.

Nov 14, 2008 at 1:12 AM Post #3 of 19
UF10pros? from your sig I'm assuming you're talking about the TF10? or are you talking about the UE10?

anyway, it's gotta depend on whether you're fine with the extra bulk mainly. I'm sure there's going to be some improvement, however minor (although usually less than what u'd expect for the price you're paying), but if it annoys you to have to carry a huge bulk around I'd say it's not worth it.

Nov 14, 2008 at 6:40 AM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by vkvedam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would advise you to save money and invest in a decent rig. You should be alright with your setup right now. And try the way I've suggested people before (No one seems to be paying any attention), use a line out dock adapter (iBasso or some other place) with an in-line volume attenuator. iPod hiss gets eliminated completely. Refinement across the complete spectrum. Doesn't even cost you a fortune and its a solid investment as you'll using it with an amp in future if you decide to get one.

Thanks. Can I get inline volume attenuators with a volume control? I'm assuming that the once the iPod is sending via line out you cannot change the volume of the iPod? I do have an attenuator which came with the TF10s (I assume its that thing you plug in when listening on the aeroplane?).

Nov 14, 2008 at 6:49 AM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by vkvedam /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes, I am a little confused myself. I checked out the iBasso website and saw the line out dock adapter. Is it the one for $14? How would that completely eliminate the hiss from the iPod? And what would be the method of attaching headphones to it be without destroying the warranty on the headphones? By the way, I'm paying attention but I just don't understand how this would work. : )

Nov 14, 2008 at 7:25 AM Post #6 of 19
Something to consider. If you are using TF10vi (designed for the iphone) using a LoD and/or an amp, you will probably the ability to use the phone functions. No more hands free.

If you have the TF10pro, disregard the above

Nov 14, 2008 at 8:26 AM Post #7 of 19
Sorry - I have the TF10pro.

Just thinking about the suggestion from VKVEDAM, it makes a lot of sense...if I were to use the amp, then I'd need a line out feed anyway. Since I am driving IEM's, I dont need an amp as power is not an issue. Just need a (decent) volume control.

Anyone tried this setup?

Nov 14, 2008 at 9:27 AM Post #8 of 19
I have an ipod classic and TF10's.

I have bought a D3, line out adapter and lead from iBasso.

I hope that by using the line out dock there will be an improvement in sound quality.

Nov 14, 2008 at 12:19 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by swayne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have an ipod classic and TF10's.

I have bought a D3, line out adapter and lead from iBasso.

I hope that by using the line out dock there will be an improvement in sound quality.

Cool - same rig as mine. Let me know if it does make any (noticeable) difference to sound quality...

Nov 14, 2008 at 12:54 PM Post #10 of 19
Getting a LOD for your iPod/Nano will give you a good improvement in SQ. but then you'll need an amplifier. You can get good ones for not that much money, like the Corda Headsix, iBassos( although I have been reading some quality problems about them ) and some others.

Using lossless files - ALAC is the file that iTunes uses - also makes SQ better. Mainly if you have good HD memory with your iPod Classic 160GB.

Nov 14, 2008 at 1:03 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by encrypted_trance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry - I have the TF10pro.

Just thinking about the suggestion from VKVEDAM, it makes a lot of sense...if I were to use the amp, then I'd need a line out feed anyway. Since I am driving IEM's, I dont need an amp as power is not an issue. Just need a (decent) volume control.

Anyone tried this setup?

Of course. The attenuating in-line volume controls I have heard have at best dulled the sound when adding the passive attenuation, the amplification turned out to be necessary keep quality with the resistance being added.

Nov 15, 2008 at 1:55 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of course. The attenuating in-line volume controls I have heard have at best dulled the sound when adding the passive attenuation, the amplification turned out to be necessary keep quality with the resistance being added.

X2 you beat me to the punch manaox2; thats why noone is listening to you vkvedam I see you posting this everywhere. the volume controls in these free giveaway attenuators in the box are the equivalent of the disposable headphones they give you on the flight. they are an afterthought thrown into a package to round out the features . cheap components are used; it gets rid of the hiss but also gets rid of the detail, the ones i've tried s are shoddily made and sound like crud. the money it would tke to build a decent one you ,ay as well by a small but reasonable amp.

Nov 15, 2008 at 9:19 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X2 you beat me to the punch manaox2; thats why noone is listening to you vkvedam I see you posting this everywhere. the volume controls in these free giveaway attenuators in the box are the equivalent of the disposable headphones they give you on the flight. they are an afterthought thrown into a package to round out the features . cheap components are used; it gets rid of the hiss but also gets rid of the detail, the ones i've tried s are shoddily made and sound like crud. the money it would tke to build a decent one you ,ay as well by a small but reasonable amp.

What about using high quality attenuators, like the Shure?

Nov 15, 2008 at 2:25 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by encrypted_trance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about using high quality attenuators, like the Shure?

i'd like to know too lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back