UE900 or TripleFi 10vi for a Westone ES5 owner?
Feb 27, 2013 at 4:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

JulesK

Head-Fier
This may be an odd question, but I'm looking an IEM to complement the ES5 I currently have.  The sound of the ES5 is spectacular, but perhaps a bit too refined (and too smooth in the treble).  Plus, and this may banish me from the site, I really find iDevice remote controls on the cable to be very handy (and the custom wired cable I got from Westone has a huge plug, requiring me to use a short extension cable when I plug it into my iPhone in its case).  I've been looking at the UE900 (and may just try them out when I get time), but from the reviews, they seem to have moved towards the sound of the W4, and that although the TripleFi 10 is less refined and perhaps more colored, it seems to have an energy level that is a bit tamed in the UE900.  What I really want, I guess, is something more dynamic, with more presense in the top end, even if I have to sacrifice some refinement.  I always have the ES5 if I want to go the other direction.

Would the TripleFi 10vi be a better choice than the UE900, given that I already have the ES5?  Also, and this is huge, on which side is the remote on the 10vi cable (I realize that it doesn't have volume controls) - left or right?  I need on the left because I will just cut off the right part of the cable as I only use the left earpiece - I'm partially deaf.  Can you plug the cable into either earpiece?

Many thanks for your comments.  I fully realize the ergonomic challenges of the TripleFi, but as they are selling out of stock, it's a risk I guess I may have to take.

Feb 27, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #2 of 6
Having owned both I think the UE900 is worth the difference in cost sonically and comfort wise.

Having said that the remote is on the right side. But you should be able to plug it into the left IEM or simply wear the right IEM upside down which was do able for me.

Feb 27, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #3 of 6
The UE TF10Pro are more dynamic with extended highs and deep punchy bass and has wider soundstage. Westone 3, JVC FX700 offers extra sparkles in highs and good punchy bass, FX700 has bright extended highs with deep reverbing bass and clear mids with wide soundstage(highly rexommended).

Feb 27, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #4 of 6
On my TF10 vi the mic is on the right but the remote button is just south of the Y connector.

Feb 27, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #5 of 6
Re-reading my post I needed to be more explanatory. I am a mids lover who won't compromise on bass or treble. So for me the UE900 has given me the best midrange while delivering on those other areas.

On the other hand the TF10 offers a very nice V shaped signature. I just found the V too deep for me causing the mids to suffer. If I compensated by turning up the volume I then found the treble to fatiguing and EQing did not work as well as I liked.

Feb 27, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
On my TF10 vi the mic is on the right but the remote button is just south of the Y connector.

Many thanks, all, for the responses.  I see from the images on the web what you mean.  Can you connect the left ear piece to the right cable (i.e., are the connectors side-specific)?  From what I can tell from images on the web, they plugs look symmetrical.  Were I to use these, I'd set my iPhone to output a mono signal, so I wouldn't care.  It would be nice to preserve the mic.  Because these are no longer made, I can't find them from a retailer with a return policy; pretty much ebay at this point. Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back