UE5c - Opinons/advice please...
Dec 23, 2005 at 5:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

rick1970

Head-Fier
I would be using these (most likely) unamped out of a 5G (video) iPod. I'm currently using super.fi 5 pros, which I rather enjoy. I listen to wide range of music, but mainly Marillion, Supertramp, Moody Blues, Steely Dan, Doobie Brothers, Pink Floyd, Beatles, Ben Folds (with or without the Five), Grateful Dead and Jimmy Buffett.

I'm considering customs mainly for comfort, and of course a step up in sound quality. Based on reviews, I think I would enjoy the 5c more than the 10pro. I want detail, but I think the 10pro may be a little too analytical for me. I like a little warmth and bass punch (not necessarily a basshead
basshead.gif
).

My questions are as follows:

What kind of improvement can I expect going from the super.fis to the UE5c?

What would I be missing by not going for the 10pro (considering my music preferences)?

Is there something else I should consider, such as the Westone ES2 or Sensaphonics?

For those that have UE custom IEMs, are there additional costs above the price posted on the UE web site (audiologist, shipping, custom designs, etc...)?

How long does the process take, from initial order to delivery?

Dec 23, 2005 at 6:46 AM Post #2 of 21
Hi, first of all, I am too was torn apart between UE5c and UE10 Pro a while ago, and the analytical description for UE10 Pro was bugging me, but eventually I still go for UE10 Pro, and I am very happy.

I do not think UE10 Pro is analytical. It is actually quite warm, and I would say it is warmer than Shure e4c, and the bass is a lot heavier, but not like Westone UM2.

You can use UE10 Pro for basically all genres of music, and you will find it does all of them quite well. If money is not an issue for you, I think you should just go for UE10 Pro. Compared to Westone UM2 or Shure e4c, I never feel UE10 Pro is analytical, which I believe you mean not fun and sounds very boring. It is extremely detailed, but at the sametime, it is quite fun to listen to. For example, on some of the rock albums, because of its neutrality and detailed nature, it makes me feel that I am actually in the concert. The vocal reproduced makes you feel you can reach your hand out and touch them. The bass is also really textured and impactful, and you can definitely distinguish different instruments used to produce those. I think UE10 Pro really presents this in a very fun way, and if it is analyitical, I am definitely saying it is still leaning towards the fun way.

However, if you really think the additional cost of UE10 pro is bugging you, I would say go for the UE5c. If not, and again, I definitely recommand you just go for the UE10 Pro.

You can definitely consider Westone ES2 or Sensaphonics, but tell you the truth. UltimateEars got the fastest turnaround time, and does not charge you extra for the custom designs. While there is no such thing for Sensaphonics (they do not do any custom arts for the earphone), and Westone charges you extra. If you go for UE, you can basically expect the turn around to be less than 2 weeks from the day you send them the ear impressions if you live in the states.

Dec 24, 2005 at 3:35 AM Post #3 of 21
Thanks for sharing your experience. I had pretty much planned on going with UE since they seem to have an excellent reputation on these forums. I'm still trying to decide if I really need to put out the extra $300 or so for the UE 10. The UE5c at $600 is really about the limit I wanted to stay with for something I can't demo first and has practically no resale value.

There is also the matter that I would have a far easier time justifying $600 vs. $900 to my wife (she's one of those that thinks the iBuds sound good
rolleyes.gif
). That's more of an issue than the money itself.

Dec 24, 2005 at 4:15 AM Post #4 of 21
I see.

Yah, I think you should be really happy with UE5c. It is a big improvement over the UE Super.fi Pro, especially in the treble region. However, it did left some improvements, and those are fixed in UE10 pro at the cost of $300 more. The improvements if I remembered right are mainly in the bass. It is really controlled in UE10 Pro, but UE5c is already really darn good compared to Super.fi Pro.

Dec 24, 2005 at 4:15 AM Post #5 of 21
I enjoy my UE5c's and felt they were a great step up from Shure E5's. Better clarity and balance IMO. The bass is the best I've heard in an IEM....but it's still not close to my HF-1's. I do feel they are particularly enjoyable for acoustic stuff (such as the Dead).

I haven't heard UE10's....so I'm not much help there. Good luck.

Dec 24, 2005 at 8:59 AM Post #6 of 21
You should also remember that there are people who having heard both: UE-5C and UE-10 Pro choose the former ones.

Anyway, knowing what I know now I would go for Sensaphonics or Westones (although I haven't heard the latter ones).

Dec 24, 2005 at 2:02 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by root
You should also remember that there are people who having heard both: UE-5C and UE-10 Pro choose the former ones.

Anyway, knowing what I know now I would go for Sensaphonics or Westones (although I haven't heard the latter ones).

As crazy IEM guy, I'd say the price diff. between the UE5c and the UE10pro is worth the money, no question about it.

Personally I would choose the Westone ES2 over the UE5c any day.

Based on your music preferences, should should also really consider the Sensaphonics. They might be exactly what you are looking for.

Basically if you want to stick to your budget, get the ES2s. A killer IEM for sure.

If you want to stretch it, then it is pretty much a toss up between UE10 and Sensaphonics. There are hundreds upon hundreds of posts about each and the differences between the two. With the Sensas you are going to lose a bit of high end sparkle in exchange for some more bass and a warmer more organic sound. UE10 will give you the clarity throughout, perhaps with a bit less bass (although personally I think they rock).

Dec 27, 2005 at 3:20 AM Post #8 of 21
Thanks for the replies. I'm not sure if I am any closer to making my decision, but I still have a couple months before I plan to purchase. So far I am at least convinced that I would get a reasonable increase in SQ and comfort with the UE5c. I am really trying to stay within budget, but if some things work out maybe I can consider the UE10 Pro
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 27, 2005 at 3:43 AM Post #9 of 21
Well I think anything you get will be a good model. Sensaphonics being alittle cheaper from what I have read are going to sound very close to the UE10s. Quiet a bit better then the UE-5s. But Sensaphonics don't have a replacible cord, which the UE-10s & UE-5s do. Along with more returns of Sensa. If money was tight and you could get the Sens 2X's, I do that. If it wasn't tight, I definitely go with the UE-10s.

Do the searches on the models to see of past issues. Not many people here Westones.

Dec 27, 2005 at 4:42 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisfromalbany
Well I think anything you get will be a good model. Sensaphonics being alittle cheaper from what I have read are going to sound very close to the UE10s. Quiet a bit better then the UE-5s. But Sensaphonics don't have a replacible cord, which the UE-10s & UE-5s do. Along with more returns of Sensa. If money was tight and you could get the Sens 2X's, I do that. If it wasn't tight, I definitely go with the UE-10s.

Do the searches on the models to see of past issues. Not many people here Westones.

Just to throw in my two cents on the build quality of Sensaphonics... I bought mine in April of last year and have dragged them to hell and back commuting to school downtown from uptown Manhattan by way of train and foot. I've not had any problems whatsoever. I even managed to snag the cord on stationary objects while wearing them on a couple of ocassions.

Seems like some people have had a very different experience with them. But I've found them to be the sturdiest of all the IEMs I've owned. Having said that, I'm dying to try some UE-10s
very_evil_smiley.gif
, but that's not likely to happen until after I'm done with grad school and return to the land of the full-time employed.

Dec 27, 2005 at 5:04 AM Post #11 of 21
What is the approximate total delivered cost of the ProPhonic SOFT 2X? I can't seem to find any prices on Sensaphonics web site. I am interested in these as well since the Sensas appear to be held in high regard here.

Dec 27, 2005 at 5:09 AM Post #12 of 21
heard both ue5c and ue10 universal fit at the UE facility. UE10 was too detailed compared to the UE5c which is a bit more fun too listen too. But I guess you can turn the UE10 to a UE5c by messing with some eq, but you can't turn a UE5c to a UE10 w/ EQ =D. So UE10 might be the best in the long run. However, I am really happy with my UE5c and my 5th generation iPod video combination, it sounds really goood together. Wait till Random Person go in this thread, she'll probably tell you how good the UE5c is. That girl is a UE5c fanatic =D

Dec 27, 2005 at 6:16 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

You can definitely consider Westone ES2 or Sensaphonics, but tell you the truth. UltimateEars got the fastest turnaround time, and does not charge you extra for the custom designs. While there is no such thing for Sensaphonics (they do not do any custom arts for the earphone), and Westone charges you extra. If you go for UE, you can basically expect the turn around to be less than 2 weeks from the day you send them the ear impressions if you live in the states.

Is UE doing Custom Art?

Dec 27, 2005 at 8:08 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by p0wderh0und23
Umm .. UE does not do Custom Art.

BRBJackson's custom art UE10 Pro.

UE10-Blk_1.jpg

Basically you just have to give them a image, and they will customize it anyway you want. Also the initials, I heard from some Japanese customer that you can give them a image of your initials, and they can do it in Japanese and etc -- this is not comfirmed though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by p0wderh0und23
Westone is the only one and we make the ear pieces in 3-5 days, not 2 weeks.

Oh thanks for the clarification. I was not sure about Westone, so I just said UE can deliver the thing in less than 2 weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back