UE Triple-Fi 10- Still worth buying?
Jul 4, 2014 at 1:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

NawiLlih

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all,

I have found myself in the market recently for a makeover of my current audio setup. As part of this, I'm looking to get some high-end IEMs. Currently, i am looking at the Earsonics SM64, Dita Answer or Sony H3.

However, I have noticed in my time on Head-Fi that the UE TF10 are probably the most-mentioned, and most-loved IEM here by a long shot. This has lead me to add it to the list of 'Things To Consider.' :wink:

So, I suppose my main question is, do the TF10s really stand the test of time, and would they punch well in the class that I am looking at? Do they out-perform, or perform close to, the other 3 pairs that I mentioned, or due they show their age and lag behind?

Secondly, how much should I expect to pay for a brand-new pair now, and when is the best time to buy? Have you come across any exceptional deals recently?

Finally, could someone give me a quick summation of the sound signature?

Sorry about the wall of questions, but I do hope that I can find some help here.
Thanks in advance :)

Jul 6, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #6 of 19
Only purchase TF10 now if you see one for around $100-$120 USD (hopefully lower).

There are far better options than anyone selling a brand new TF10 for $300 odd these days retail. 

Something like the Dunu DN-1000 for $200 walks over TF10 in clarity, soundstage and detail. Like you said in your OP: TF10 "were very cool" in their day and some may still love them, even myself owned x3 pairs. But we're now in 2014, Frankenstein bolts have been left behind by quite a few hybrid designs. 

Jul 7, 2014 at 3:01 AM Post #7 of 19
  Only purchase TF10 now if you see one for around $100-$120 USD (hopefully lower).

There are far better options than anyone selling a brand new TF10 for $300 odd these days retail. 

Something like the Dunu DN-1000 for $200 walks over TF10 in clarity, soundstage and detail. Like you said in your OP: TF10 "were very cool" in their day and some may still love them, even myself owned x3 pairs. But we're now in 2014, Frankenstein bolts have been left behind by quite a few hybrid designs. 

for rock music, i say tf10 still more enjoyable.

Jul 7, 2014 at 3:14 AM Post #9 of 19
  Hey all,

I have found myself in the market recently for a makeover of my current audio setup. As part of this, I'm looking to get some high-end IEMs. Currently, i am looking at the Earsonics SM64, Dita Answer or Sony H3.

However, I have noticed in my time on Head-Fi that the UE TF10 are probably the most-mentioned, and most-loved IEM here by a long shot. This has lead me to add it to the list of 'Things To Consider.' :wink:

So, I suppose my main question is, do the TF10s really stand the test of time, and would they punch well in the class that I am looking at? Do they out-perform, or perform close to, the other 3 pairs that I mentioned, or due they show their age and lag behind?

Secondly, how much should I expect to pay for a brand-new pair now, and when is the best time to buy? Have you come across any exceptional deals recently?

Finally, could someone give me a quick summation of the sound signature?

Sorry about the wall of questions, but I do hope that I can find some help here.
Thanks in advance :)

I have both the DITAs for some time, and here is the comparison with my TF10:
In comparison with TripleFi 10, The DITAs midrange sounds a bit laid back and relax, while TripleFi 10 midrange sounds a bit thicker with more forward presentation.
Let me list it from leaner midrange and more relax presentation on top of the list, down to the thicker midrange and more forward presentation:
The Answer
The Truth
TripleFi 10

The DITAs are relatively brighter with richer treble than TripleFi 10, but not by a large margin. DITAs treble is richer and has more sparkle. It’s not about which one is better, but which one better for which recording. For example, with some jazz recording, I generally like the DITAs better. Instrumental sound more lively and spacious. But for some pop recordings with treble rich vocal, TF10 has less sibilant, therefore a better choice. Although both are not my preferred IEM for classical, if I have to choose between TripleFi 10 and The DITAs for classical, I will choose the DITAs.

For fit and comfort, although different for every person, the DITAs will most probably get higher chance for better fit and comfort than TripleFi 10.

TF10 prone to high output impedance player / amp. So if you plan to use smart phones, or maybe 1st generation of AK100, TF10 is out.

I would say TF10 is a bit out dated now, as there are many more in competition. 

I suggest you consider the following:
ATH-IM03
ATH-CKR9

But for your music, trance, EDM, etc, I think ATH-IM50 is the best, regardless of the price.

Or while considering the more expensive IEM, Narmoo S1 which currently has 40% discount lasting today, is a no brainer and a must buy:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/717275/narmoos-new-s1-dual-dynamic-supremus/105#post_10683520

Jul 7, 2014 at 6:45 AM Post #10 of 19
I'm afraid I hear things rather differently!

First, I would not term the DITAs midrange as behind by any means, certainly not compared to the TF10s. Second, the Answer has, to me, a fuller and more forward midrange accentuated by the more intimate soundstage. Hence, for me, the answer's mid range is less laid back than the truth.

That being said, both are great IEMs and for my tastes are certainly a step up from the TF10s. Or two.

Just my two cents!

Jul 7, 2014 at 8:12 AM Post #11 of 19
I got two from amazon during black friday sale for $99 each a long time ago. I would say for that price, the tf10 is pretty good, but not $300+, the technology it uses is outdated and I have heard the sweet mid frequency calling of balanced armature drivers, I'd say the sound quality of the tf10 is average to above average, average timbre, soundstage, detail, maybe below average fullness, nothing to write home about. The sound signature is V-shaped, making the tf10 good for low-volume listening, but not neutral. I found myself using $15 monoprice earphones (like all monoprice products they're quite decent for the price :p) most of the time instead of the tf10 because I much preferred the fuller and more flat sound signature of the cheaper earphone and because it was much more comfortable, even though it was probably below average to average in technical detail.

I was never really that fond of the tf10's sound quality level, which I felt was below my full-sized headphones and speakers, and most of the time I have a preference for how full sized headphones and speakers portray sound, and only used iem's when I wanted a very direct presentation and/or sound isolation. I have only tried one other serious iem, the single dynamic driver and dual balanced armature hybrid dn2000 ($315 shipped from amazon), but even then, I'd be hesitant to say I prefer it to the sound of similarly priced speakers or full-sized headphones. I will say for the dn2000 though, it does bring a few sound quality-related things to the table that makes me go for the iem instead of my full-sized headphones or speakers sometimes, which I think must be quite an achievement for such small form-factor, and that is the good neutrality, being very true to recording and source, very clear, effortless, and pleasant mids, and extremely flat bass down to subterranean levels (all the way down to 20hz baby).

So in a nutshell, I'd say the dn2000 for $15 more than the tf10 from amazon is several levels above the tf10, much better build quality and accessories, maybe less high frequency detail and less comfortable especially for people with small ear canals. But most importantly, the dn2000 brings something interesting to the table versus my full-sized headphones and speakers to the point where I sort of think it may have been worth the hefty price tag.

Jul 7, 2014 at 8:14 AM Post #12 of 19
I suggest you consider the following:
ATH-IM03
ATH-CKR9

But for your music, trance, EDM, etc, I think ATH-IM50 is the best, regardless of the price.

Or while considering the more expensive IEM, Narmoo S1 which currently has 40% discount lasting today, is a no brainer and a must buy:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/717275/narmoos-new-s1-dual-dynamic-supremus/105#post_10683520

Could you possibly give me a quick description of the IM50 sound signature please? It sounds like a good deal, but people often recommend V-shaped sigs for EDM, but I really don't like V-shaped signatures :frowning2:
I like my mids :)

Jul 7, 2014 at 9:50 AM Post #13 of 19
Could you possibly give me a quick description of the IM50 sound signature please? It sounds like a good deal, but people often recommend V-shaped sigs for EDM, but I really don't like V-shaped signatures :frowning2:
I like my mids :)

Please click my review for IM50 on my signature. In short, IM50 give you the 'sound big' impression that I find enjoyable. And the IM50 mids is so so delicious... :)

Jul 8, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #14 of 19
Thanks for the review, well done on that!

my question has been answered here, with a resounding 'maybe.' I've started a general Trance IEMs thread here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/726033/best-iem-for-trance-2014-edition#post_10695167

Jul 8, 2014 at 2:53 PM Post #15 of 19
My TF-10 are my most used headphones - they sound great with my choice of music (rock).  I also was able to get them for $99.  Hard to say if they'd be worth the full asking price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back