UE triple fi 10 and shure se530
Jul 17, 2008 at 9:37 PM Post #31 of 63
i NEVER use the eq on my ipod lol
tend to rely on the synergy of headphone, amp and source too much !!
loving both the 530 and trip fi
went to kids soft play area today with the triplefi and never heard a single screaming kid.
was great!!

Jul 18, 2008 at 4:17 PM Post #32 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Think about this: Upper mid range of SE530 is insanely detailed while midrange in TFP is very recessed.

I just tried correcting for the dip in iTunes via the eq (as well as smooth out the bass a bit):
w14v9s.png

Seems a little harsh at times, but it sounds like something to mess around with
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the inspiration!

Edit: Ok, that's interesting, but odd.

Jul 18, 2008 at 4:53 PM Post #33 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nano and a Sony mini system but it shouldn't matter as I am comparing them head on with SE530, same equipment.

Sony mini system? My wife had one of those....til I persuaded her otherwise
wink.gif

Not exactly doing either of these IEMs any favours.

Jul 18, 2008 at 6:55 PM Post #34 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by steviebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sony mini system? My wife had one of those....til I persuaded her otherwise
wink.gif

Not exactly doing either of these IEMs any favours.

I beg to differ. It's actually the single cd unit http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sony-...oductDetail.do

Circuit City and Target carries it for a whopping $110. This is a third generation of this model. I have two of these they are so good. Nothing fancy...I play cd's through it. The external sound is not all that great but it has the best headphone jack among 15-20 systems I auditioned over about a months time. Much better than even the $400 Dennon system I auditioned at Tweeter. Clearest circuitry/sound of ANY unit I tested with ample power.

I've heard other Sony's where the headphone jack sounded terrible (cloudy, no highs).

Jul 18, 2008 at 8:06 PM Post #35 of 63
My wife must've had one of those others
biggrin.gif
Altho to be fair the sound out of the phone jack was immensely superior to the sound out of the Sony speakers - man, they were bad.

Edit\ just looked at yr link. I see. My mistake. I thought you meant a mini midi-type system -y'know CDP, amp, tape deck allinone with separate speakers....ours was horrible.

Jul 19, 2008 at 12:22 AM Post #36 of 63
I own the triple fis and I want to try the SE530 but I am not very excited about them. I consider myself very sensitive the SSSSS and piercing highs, and i just dont hear them on the triples. Ive also read the bass is lacking, and I must say they triple's bass is the most impressive Ive heard, i consider it even better thna the bass of the HD650.

I am using the headstage lyrix as DAC/AMP. I think the lyrix might be a little dark sounding amp, but i dont know because i dont have any others, but compared to my incredibly bright panasonic receiver, it is definitely dark. But great.

Jul 20, 2008 at 12:22 PM Post #37 of 63
I'm choosing between the TF's and the e500/se530's. At first I was only looking at he TF's but the Shure's is looking more and more interesting.

My only issues with the shures are:
The rolled of highs - how bad is it? I'm a drummer and therefor cymbals is important for me. Are they clear and bright or are they set back with bad presentation?

The cable - approximately how long will it hold? Will buy used and live in EU so there will probably be no service

Clean sound - Which of the Shures or the EU have the clearest sound. Don't want any haze sound or lack of presence far away sounding.

thx for any opinions

Jul 20, 2008 at 12:53 PM Post #38 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by jegarn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm choosing between the TF's and the e500/se530's. At first I was only looking at he TF's but the Shure's is looking more and more interesting.

The rolled of highs - how bad is it? I'm a drummer and therefor cymbals is important for me. Are they clear and bright or are they set back with bad presentation?

The cable - approximately how long will it hold? Will buy used and live in EU so there will probably be no service

Clean sound - Which of the Shures or the EU have the clearest sound. Don't want any haze sound or lack of presence far away sounding.

thx for any opinions

I have to agree with someone who ;posted on this thread saying the vocals sound pushed back and your ears get used to it. It is pretty much like the HD650, (but i do think the vocals are NOT that pushed back in the triples as the HD650) the vocals sound as if they were coming from behind the musicians on a stage, but it is there, you dont have to struggle to listen them or miss any details. I can hear them breathing and even some mistakes in the chorus (on live performances). It is only about sound presentation, not SQ.

I think you should give any piece of equipment some time because everybody has EQ setting that it's THEIR thing, and that generally means that most of the times you wont get a pair of headphones/DAC/AMP that you love the sound inmediately because everything is colored...(do you know how the artist sound engineer wanted the music to sound when they were mixing? NO). I think it is all about trying to find the color that you like
biggrin.gif

I havent tried the shures, but the triple fis are very impressive. I havent got the comfort issues SOME report. I have even fallen asleep with them on an wake up several hours later without noticing only the music on my ears.

If the highs on the shure are not on par with the TFP then i dont wnt them. One of the things i was hoping for when i ordered the TFP was to get the same level of details on the hoighs i get with the HD650 ( i now know i had extremely high expectations), but that is quite a jump from what they offer.

I think that if your expectations are realistic, and by that I mean that they wont be equal to MOST full size cans of their price range in term of SQ, you will be more than happy with the triple fis.

If you have the cash do what OP did which was what i was going to do: get them both from headroom and send the one you dont like much back. Ask them, they wont have a problem with that. Youll even have the chance to returm both o them if you end up disappointed.

Good luck.

Jul 20, 2008 at 4:49 PM Post #39 of 63
i decided to go with the tripple fi's, everything about them just seems so great. i looked at the 530's but i was put off on the cord and the rolled off high problem.

Jul 20, 2008 at 9:14 PM Post #40 of 63
Quote:

thx for any opinions

As far as your issues with the Shures, its not nearly as bad as you think. The highs are rolled off compared to the UEs, certainly, but I have never found them to be lacking, personally. I clearly hear cymbals and a nice range of highs, they are just a little subdued.

As far as clean sound, do you mean neutral? The Shures certainly aren't neutral, but then again, neither are the UEs. I find the Shures to be nicely musical, not quite as cold and analytical as some (Etys). Concerning far away sounding, as someone else also mentioned, I don't view that as a negative. As you know, it is very difficult for headphones and IEMs in particular to provide expansive soundstage. I find that this is the Shures biggest strength. Their soundstage is so much bigger than the UEs, in my opinion, its really pleasant. I wouldn't discount the SE530s.

As far as worrying about them breaking, the newer version cables are pretty rugged. In the event they break, Shure has very good customer service and quickly repairs and replaces as needed.

Jul 20, 2008 at 10:00 PM Post #41 of 63
both headphones have their pros and cons.

the triple fi isn't in the same league when it comes to comfort, i also like the shure tips better as well and the fact that the se530s can separate and come with a super short extension, EXCELLENT for working out with an ipod armband. i swear it is the perfect length that it's not in the way nor does it tug on your ear.

plus the triple fis are God awfully ugly compared to the shures. the only reason i mentioned the cosmetics is because you will be walking around or working out with these babies so it is a factor.

onto sound. the se530s sound like you are sitting in a studio editing each and every track. you can hear every little nuance in the music. excellent separation which the triple fis simply don't have.
the triple fis sound like a concert with you in the crowd.

i feel the shures are more personal. as someone eluded to in a previous post, the se530s feel like the vocalist is sitting right next to you crooning you your own little dittle with the band surrounding you two.

now i like the triple fis as well, the vocals are recessed compared to the shures and the treble is much better. in the end it depends on your tastes. do you want a concert or a private session?

i recommend listening to both since they don't sound alike. so you will choose which sound you like better...or you could go with both. i chose the se530s but i'll have triple fis on the way soon as well.

Jul 20, 2008 at 10:19 PM Post #42 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by AgainstTheGrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
both headphones have their pros and cons.

the triple fi isn't in the same league when it comes to comfort, i also like the shure tips better as well and the fact that the se530s can separate and come with a super short extension, EXCELLENT for working out with an ipod armband. i swear it is the perfect length that it's not in the way nor does it tug on your ear.

plus the triple fis are God awfully ugly compared to the shures. the only reason i mentioned the cosmetics is because you will be walking around or working out with these babies so it is a factor.

onto sound. the se530s sound like you are sitting in a studio editing each and every track. you can hear every little nuance in the music. excellent separation which the triple fis simply don't have.
the triple fis sound like a concert with you in the crowd.

i feel the shures are more personal. as someone eluded to in a previous post, the se530s feel like the vocalist is sitting right next to you crooning you your own little dittle with the band surrounding you two.

now i like the triple fis as well, the vocals are recessed compared to the shures and the treble is much better. in the end it depends on your tastes. do you want a concert or a private session?

i recommend listening to both since they don't sound alike. so you will choose which sound you like better...or you could go with both. i chose the se530s but i'll have triple fis on the way soon as well.

I am in complete agreement with your assessment. You and I are in the same boat, I love my SE530s, but I just ordered Triples...

Jul 20, 2008 at 10:29 PM Post #43 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by DARKHAVEN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am in complete agreement with your assessment. You and I are in the same boat, I love my SE530s, but I just ordered Triples...

yeah i guess you gotta have the best of both worlds lol. i wouldn't trade my shures for triple fis...though if i did i would have a new pair asap anywayz lol

Jul 21, 2008 at 12:54 PM Post #44 of 63
Thanks for a great explanation AgainstTheGrain
will the shures's be personal on live recordings
tongue.gif
?

Won't have the opportunity to test both, and don't have the money. Probably won't be disappointed with either one going from the e2c's.

About the "clean sound" - what I have to compare with are porta pros, MS1, HP890, e2c and HD200. The ones I don't think sounds clear imo is the e2c's and the hd200. e2c sounds like something is between the sounds, something filling up and removing clarity. The HD200 sounds far away and boring sometimes, like the music is coming from another room and therefor lacks clarity from being so far away. Hope you understand..

The highs don't seem to be a problem if you don't a-b compare them. How are they compared to MS1?

Will Shure fix the cable even if I buy them used?

Jul 21, 2008 at 1:09 PM Post #45 of 63
Quote:

Thanks for a great explanation AgainstTheGrain
will the shures's be personal on live recordings
tongue.gif
?

Won't have the opportunity to test both, and don't have the money. Probably won't be disappointed with either one going from the e2c's.

About the "clean sound" - what I have to compare with are porta pros, MS1, HP890, e2c and HD200. The ones I don't think sounds clear imo is the e2c's and the hd200. e2c sounds like something is between the sounds, something filling up and removing clarity. The HD200 sounds far away and boring sometimes, like the music is coming from another room and therefor lacks clarity from being so far away. Hope you understand..

The highs don't seem to be a problem if you don't a-b compare them. How are they compared to MS1?

Will Shure fix the cable even if I buy them used?

From your description of the sound you don't like, I can't tell if that's a midrange problem or if you are discussing Shure's characteristic treble roll-off. Some describe the Shure sound as muffled or veiled because of their treble. If that's what you are describing, the SE530s won't quite do it for you. I love my SE530s and have no problem with the treble at all, but just know that. By the way, the difference in sound quality between the E2Cs and the SE530s will absolutely blow your mind... If you find that the treble is your problem, consider the UEs, they hit it higher.

I don't know about the cable when buying used, but Shure's customer service is known to be very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back