UE triple fi 10 and shure se530
Jul 13, 2008 at 9:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 63

hatethatgiraffe

100+ Head-Fier
Ok folks here goes......
due to vodka and some upgrade pangs i now have both of these on the way!!
Just spent close to £450 between the two and really hoping it proves to be a worthwhile exercise.
Either way my visa bill is going through the roof!!
What can i expect from these two?
I listen to a bit of everything and most of my music is on 160gb classic at 320kbps mp3 or apple lossless although will be used on a more compressed touch and iphone on occassion.
Have i done the right thing going this high up the scale or is this just plain madness?

Jul 13, 2008 at 10:14 PM Post #2 of 63
I had both for a while. I just sold em to pay for a pair of UE-11s
biggrin.gif

I couldn't really listen to them both at once. I found listening to one or the other for a prolonged period was great though. They seem to bring out each others weaknesses rather than complimenting each other when A/Bing...

In the end I preferred the Shures for comfort & sound FWIW

Jul 13, 2008 at 10:34 PM Post #3 of 63
I sold the SE530s and purchased the Triples. Have been really pleased with the triples and they're here to stay.

Jul 13, 2008 at 10:42 PM Post #4 of 63
I take it the one you don't prefer goes back? Or are you planning on keeping both for futureproofing
wink.gif

It's a personal thing - trust yr ears. My ears told me in no uncertain terms: Triple Fi!
Both will be fine w/ your sources but I'd lose the 128 fast.

Jul 16, 2008 at 3:16 AM Post #7 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by the_eleven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just save yourself the trouble and cancel the 530's.

X2--also save yourself some bux

Jul 16, 2008 at 3:20 AM Post #8 of 63
How about just getting the UE-11 instead?
I spent what seemed like hours auditioning the UE SF5/TF10, 530s and UM2 with my iQube.
In the end, I decided to save money on intermediate upgrades, and ordered the UE-11 last week.

Jul 16, 2008 at 4:31 AM Post #10 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now there's a smart man
biggrin.gif

Having owned both related to this thread, however, I can easily say the TripleFi was superior to the Shure. The treble rolloff on the Shure is ridiculous.

For me the SE530s are really high on my list of guilty pleasures. 1st for comfort.... the SE530s are to me the most pleasant fitting IEMs and can easily be worn for extended periods of time. I've tried some UE 10s but the test was too short to really be fair - still I felt the SE530s were more comfortable.

While the treble rolloff in the SE530 is noticeable, it's also something that works in my favor. I have some hearing damage from years gone by and frequencies in the upper end can sometimes cause me a lot of grief. I've recently realized I can compensate for this by ensuring the use of cleaner sources (my Rockbox'ed Sansa with high rate MP3s and lossless is my favorite). In addition a headphone amp to properly drive things can be really beneficial. Right now I only have a Mini^3, but I am on the Pico wait list.

As I've gotten further into the hobby I've purchased more mid-range headphones/IEMs. I've found that the better driven they are, the less it bothers me. I've read a lot of reviews, especially here at Head-Fi and it does look like the UEs are the IEM winner across a broader population. Will I benefit from the TF10s or should I wait it out until I get my Pico and eventually give the TF11s a try? Only time will tell....

That's the only disadvantage of this hobby - as you make small steps towards your perceived audio nirvana, you will always see (and hear) things that will make your latest purchase seem like tin cans with string. The saying that one man's heaven is another man's hell also rings true. We all hear things differently thanks to our anatomically varied ear canals and ultimately, the way our brains are wired to interpret sound.

To the OP - try them both and go with your gut. Whichever pair you go with, just enjoy them and realize that the next big thing will always come around. All anyone of us can really say is that the credit card companies love the indecision and upgrade-itis that we all face.
biggrin.gif

Jul 16, 2008 at 4:48 PM Post #11 of 63
Unless you plan to go "amped", cancel the TFP's and go with the Shures as they sound much more natural. The dry, hazy, airy presentation of TFP's is pretty bad.

Jul 16, 2008 at 5:53 PM Post #12 of 63
I loved my TF10s but I felt inclined to also give the SE530s a try. I purchased the SE530s and a week later, I returned the SE530s.

The mids on the SE530s sound way too forward for me which made the singer seem right next to my ear and the accompanying band miles away. Then add on to that the treble roll-off and the non-user replaceable cable, it made it a no-brainer which one of these earphones would be returned.

Jul 16, 2008 at 6:46 PM Post #13 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unless you plan to go "amped", cancel the TFP's and go with the Shures as they sound much more natural. The dry, hazy, airy presentation of TFP's is pretty bad.

hazy to describe the triple.fi's?

never heard that before. these things are the opposite of hazy

Jul 16, 2008 at 7:39 PM Post #14 of 63
Have received both and plan is that they both stay!
Sound is indeed slightly more captivating with the triple first but struggling to
get a good fit!
Shute sound great too particularly vocally! And are so comfortable! Felt great straight out the box! Did mess around with tips but standard work beat fir me!
Both will be amped either with iqube or predator and suns great with both!
Thinking triple fi at home and shure on the move

Jul 16, 2008 at 8:09 PM Post #15 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by idiotekniQues /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hazy to describe the triple.fi's?

never heard that before. these things are the opposite of hazy

I had two pairs and they both sounded that same way. The ears get use to it after a while but there is a real lack of sparkle and "SSSSSS" to cymbals, even compared to Super Fi pro. I found it rather alarming. I think a triple driver should be brighter sounding. SFP is much brighter sounding but certainly not better sounding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back