UE TF10 by ... Dreamworks?
Dec 22, 2009 at 2:13 AM Post #18 of 30
I'm coming from an UM1, those things are so comfortable that the only time you notice that you are wearing them is when you see a silent train passing by....
I might go for a re shell too but I'm concerned about the side effect that it can be in the overall performance.
I believe that TF10 are like this because they were designed to be like this, so I don't know how a new case would affect the sound compared to the original.

Dec 22, 2009 at 3:03 AM Post #19 of 30
Use the old flip trick. Works great

Dec 22, 2009 at 4:21 AM Post #20 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by ibis99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Use the old flip trick. Works great

That mod decreases sound quality unfortunately. It makes the UEs sound weird - out of phase.

Dec 22, 2009 at 4:32 AM Post #21 of 30
I have been trying the flip mod and maybe I am doing it somewhat wrong with fit or something, but the difference in size appearance seems really negligible. Anyone else, same thing/observation?

Dec 22, 2009 at 4:40 AM Post #22 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That mod decreases sound quality unfortunately. It makes the UEs sound weird - out of phase.

If you keep the polarities consistent it won't make it sound out of phase. After you swap sides make sure the bump on the plugs line up with the bumps on the monitors. If one lines up but the other doesn't it will sound out of phase.

Dec 22, 2009 at 5:14 AM Post #23 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you keep the polarities consistent it won't make it sound out of phase. After you swap sides make sure the bump on the plugs line up with the bumps on the monitors. If one lines up but the other doesn't it will sound out of phase.

Just got my TF10 today. I used to have a pair of Super.fi 5pro and I know the flip trick. I believe I am doing it right without messing up the polarities. However, I do notice the difference of sound quality. The sound stage is narrow and feels "not right". The sound difference on TF10 is more obvious than on 5pro. And the Shrek-look is almost the same.
L3000.gif

So I switch back to the normal mode.

Dec 22, 2009 at 8:08 AM Post #24 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChanSP1970 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got my TF10 today. I used to have a pair of Super.fi 5pro and I know the flip trick. I believe I am doing it right without messing up the polarities. However, I do notice the difference of sound quality. The sound stage is narrow and feels "not right". The sound difference on TF10 is more obvious than on 5pro. And the Shrek-look is almost the same.
L3000.gif

Not sure how you can retain Shrek(this is new!)/Frankenstein/Dumbo look after FF mod. The unit sits closer to the ear and does not stick out as far as before the mod. Also in theory, the insertion angle should be almost same, too so I don't understand the sound quality issues, either.

To me, the comfort increase was more than enough to not look back...
icon10.gif

Dec 22, 2009 at 9:31 AM Post #27 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChanSP1970 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
L3000.gif

How do you mess up the polarities? If you keep the bump on the inside as it was before, it should be fine right?

I quickly read through the SF5Pro threads years ago when I did the flip mod on my SF5Pros. I did the mod on my TP10s today using the same methodology. I just flipped them back because now I'm doubting myself.

Dec 22, 2009 at 3:09 PM Post #29 of 30
just got mine this morning and i feel ridiculous wearing these things, but they sound so awesome though!

the idea of reshelling does sound more appealing, but unfortunately i don't have the money at this time to do so...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back