UE Reference Monitors made me giggle and shoot a latte out my nose at Starbucks
Dec 17, 2010 at 3:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

joesuburb

100+ Head-Fier
I'm 260lbs, look a little cranky and have a goatee.  Plus I'm old!.  Needless to say, I usually reserve giggling for lapdances and the occasional hummer.  But, I was in starbucks and these things sounded so good I actually started giggling and shot some latte out my nose.

Of All things I was listening to War's, "Why Can't We be Friends" and "Low Rider".  The bass hit like a beast and I just started giggling.  Lots of people will think these lack bass without a bump of midbass, but it went so low I just started giggling.  

Thought I would share.  I know I had a good time.

Dec 17, 2010 at 8:43 PM Post #2 of 6
i read the review on the front page about these.  just curious, do you have the silicone layered or the regular acrylic ones?  do you know if they can add a layer of silicone on any of their customs to make a better fit?

thanks!

Dec 17, 2010 at 11:18 PM Post #4 of 6
I usually order my lattes extra-hot, so shooting some thru the nose would be an unpleasant affair - here's hoping your sinuses didn't get scalded!  And thanks for the story, it evoked a very entertaining mental image.  :)

Quote:
I'm 260lbs, look a little cranky and have a goatee.  Plus I'm old!.  Needless to say, I usually reserve giggling for lapdances and the occasional hummer.  But, I was in starbucks and these things sounded so good I actually started giggling and shot some latte out my nose.

Of All things I was listening to War's, "Why Can't We be Friends" and "Low Rider".  The bass hit like a beast and I just started giggling.  Lots of people will think these lack bass without a bump of midbass, but it went so low I just started giggling.  

Thought I would share.  I know I had a good time.

Dec 17, 2010 at 11:36 PM Post #5 of 6
I heard 30 days ago that they were 30 days away.  I'd check.  I went with the hard acrylic.  3 reasons.  

1.  I wanted it now.
2.  I heard that with other product lines, nothing specific to UE that the soft material isn't as durable.
3.  I spoke to an audiologist and she said gel is used in hearing aids for people with the larges hearing loss.  She said the downside was that it absorbs high frequencies.  I have no idea if that impacts these or any IEM.

It was mostly that I just wanted them NOW and I used the reasons as an excuse to not wait.  If I did it again, I'd get the gel.  The acrylics don't block sound any better than my other IEMs in the past did.

I see all this talk about other customs and don't know why more people aren't talking about these.  I would describe them as pure perfection.

Feb 1, 2011 at 1:52 PM Post #6 of 6
Hey joesuburb,

So, I'm debating the UE IERM or ES5 (I currently have the ES3X). I'm liking what I'm reading about them UE. I'm sure the ES5 is also good, but I'm not looking for anything "hyped." I'll be driving them via a highly modified DNA Sonett, sourced with hi-rez media through (yet another modified) Wyred 4 Sound DAC.

Anything that you could shed some light on would be welcome (especially coming from another "older" set of ears--like mine 
wink_face.gif
).   

Quote:
I heard 30 days ago that they were 30 days away.  I'd check.  I went with the hard acrylic.  3 reasons.  

1.  I wanted it now.
2.  I heard that with other product lines, nothing specific to UE that the soft material isn't as durable.
3.  I spoke to an audiologist and she said gel is used in hearing aids for people with the larges hearing loss.  She said the downside was that it absorbs high frequencies.  I have no idea if that impacts these or any IEM.

It was mostly that I just wanted them NOW and I used the reasons as an excuse to not wait.  If I did it again, I'd get the gel.  The acrylics don't block sound any better than my other IEMs in the past did.

I see all this talk about other customs and don't know why more people aren't talking about these.  I would describe them as pure perfection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back