UE-10 PRO vs Sensaphonic 2XS (and RS-1): First Impressions
Mar 5, 2005 at 12:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 95

iamdone

Headphoneus Supremus
NEW EDIT: I think I made a final decision: THE UE10. This is based on extended listening sections. The sensas just get a stuffy sound the longer I listen but the ue10 seem to improve the longer I listen and don't have that stuffy quality. The ue10 just has this extra cripness to it.

EDIT: Remember this was just my first impressions. If you read the thread, I'm currently undecided. I don't mean to mislead or give any advice for anyone deciding between these two iems.

First off: THE CLEAR WINNER: UE-10 PRO

Second: THE EVEN BIGGER WINNER: The Grados RS-1

Third: THE SOUND

When I first put them in I expected to wowed. That didn't happen thanks to how great the RS-1 is.

They sounded similar to the sensas at first but everything is more forward. The vocals and treble are more present but are not harsh like the etys can be. In fact, I don't think they sound too much like the etys at all. They'e much more like the sensas but improved upon.

They are also very musical and not analytical. It's more of a forward vs recessed aspect than anything else. With their forward nature, they bring out more details. I also don't hear any problems with the vocals as lindrone described in his review. They are more forward but so is everything else. Somehow the ue10 just sound louder and it's not a volume thing. As you turn up the volume on the sensas everything goes up but the dynamics don't improve. The ue10 seems to have much better dynamic range. As far as the bass goes, I'd say they are very close with the ue10 being a little leaner and deeper but it's not something I can tell without really listening for it.

Although they have a forward nature, there are not exactly like the Grados. This is probably due to the fact that Grados have spikes in their treble region. The Grados still do guitars better and have that airy sound. I'd definately choose the RS-1 over the ue10 for sound alone.

Fourth: FIT AND COMFORT

I'd give the ue10 the win because they are both just as comfortable but the ue10s are easier to insert. They just twist and stop in place. The sensas have some grip (especially in the morning when my ear are freshly cleaned) and don't lock in quite the same way. You tuck the top piece in. Also my ue10 are just as flush as the sensas. The sensas might even be a little recessed (just like their sound) but when I press on my ears, both are just as comfortable. I'll have to try them later laying down to make a real judgment.

Fifth: CORD

I actually like the ue10 cord better. It's a thicker and doesn't get tangled like the sensas. I also got the 64" length which is much better for work. No need for an extention cord. They also come in different colors. I wanted to get the sensas in black put they only come with the clear cord which I thought looked funny so I got the clear one.

I got the ue10 in all black so they look like headphones. When you take the sensas out, they looks kind of ugly. Once they're in your ears they dissapear so it doesn't really matter.

Last: I guess I expected them sound almost as good as the RS-1 so that was kinda of let down but they do sound much better than the sensas. I'd say definately say they are worth the extra money. As I continue to listen, they seem to be improving. I'm listening to the Flaming Lips and keep turning around because the sounds really seem to come all around me. I am now trying the sensa and don't get the same effect. I guess that's it for now. Ask whatever questions you feel like and I'll try to answer. After that, so long head-fi.
eek.gif

EDIT: Just to note the equipment: Ipod photo w/apple lossless files and SR-71 amp. Mostly alternative music in my collection. Oh and I prefer the RS-1 over the hd650/zu. I might even say the hd650/zu beat the ue10 as well.

So here's my lineup of headphones I've heard: RS-1> HD650/zu> UE10> Sensas> Ety ER-4S>Shure E5.

Oh, one last thing. It almost looks like a wrote a review. Not what I expected to do. Maybe not the best one but close enough. Maybe this can go in the full feature section just to have another point of view.

Mar 5, 2005 at 12:23 AM Post #2 of 95
No self-banning! You have to stick around and give us more thoughts over your extended use.

It's interesting that you do find them musical and not analytical. It sounds like you consider them improved Sensaphonics (at least for the qualities you like). How is the bite and edge on the guitars (particularly for rock), and how is your emotional involvement with them on the music you like?

I know it's maybe too soon for some of these questions....just curious on the initial impressions.

Mar 5, 2005 at 12:30 AM Post #3 of 95
Good to hear the UE-10 Pro came out on top, I have a pair coming. I know, I know, these kind of things come down to personal preference and one may not be better than the other. Which Flaming Lips album were you playing?

Mar 5, 2005 at 12:34 AM Post #5 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzula
No self-banning! You have to stick around and give us some more thoughts once you use them some more.

It's interesting that you do find them musical and not analytical. It sounds like you consider them improved Sensaphonics (at least for the qualities you like). How is the bite and edge on the guitars (particularl for rock), and how is your emotional involvement with them on the music you like?

I know it's maybe too soon for some of these questions....just curious on the initial impressions.

They definately draw you in and have an emotional feel but they just don't have that same kind of energy the Grados have. The Grados just sound so live and natural to my ears. Like I'm at a concert. These are like I'm listening to a recording. I still get drawn in, it's just not a concert. They just don't have the Grado magic.

As for as rock music, they are much better than the sensas but still not quite good enough. Those damn RS-1 have spoiled me. I don't find them stuffy at all and there is an edge so it just something else that the Grados do that these don't. I can't figure it out.

As I said, the longer I listen the better they sound. The detail and treble seem to be improving. Mental burn-in, I don't know.

Mar 5, 2005 at 12:38 AM Post #7 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kieran Comito
Good to hear the UE-10 Pro came out on top, I have a pair coming. I know, I know, these kind of things come down to personal preference and one may not be better than the other. Which Flaming Lips album were you playing?

The Yoshimi album. I tried some Jane's Addiction, Depeche Mode, Elliott Smitt, Morissey, Jeff Buckley. So far all of them sound better on the ue10 but they also all sound even better on the RS-1.

Mar 5, 2005 at 12:48 AM Post #8 of 95
Oh, to be fair, I am comparing the RS-1 on memory alone and it's also hooked up to a better source and amp so I really need to test these all using the same setup.

Mar 5, 2005 at 1:41 AM Post #10 of 95
Man, is this the year of the RS-1's or what!
eek.gif

Mar 5, 2005 at 1:59 AM Post #11 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide
Man, is this the year of the RS-1's or what!
eek.gif

But haven't they been out for 10 years? So they're not the new flavor of the month like the SR-325i. I actually haven't heard those or the one's without the "i" so I can't speak about those. I don't know why I bought the RS-1. I had an urge a few weeks ago to try the SR-225 and ended up with the RS-1.

I'm testing the ue10 out at home now. I'm still not wowed by them. They also have more hiss with my ppa than the sensas but I already knew they would and only planned to use them with the SR-71, which is perfectly silent.

Mar 5, 2005 at 2:03 AM Post #12 of 95
Well, the RS-1 opinions have run hot and cold over the time I've been here. The "current" opinion just depends on who owns them and is the most vocal about it at any particular point in time. Just like a number of phones here, I suppose.....

Mar 5, 2005 at 2:07 AM Post #13 of 95
Using the iPod as the source, does the UE10 sound change significantly when the phones are amped? Listening unamped, would you still say the same in regards to the UE10 vs. the Sensas?

Congrats on the phones. Now I wish I had just gone full-throttle and gotten the UE10s.

Mar 5, 2005 at 2:22 AM Post #14 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzula
Well, the RS-1 opinions have run hot and cold over the time I've been here. The "current" opinion just depends on who owns them and is the most vocal about it at any particular point in time. Just like a number of phones here, I suppose.....

Yeah I mean what's with these RS-1 fanboys???? Do they hide in the woodwork and then springout every few years???? I bet you they like the woodern cups and never heard the phones.....
rs1smile.gif

Mar 5, 2005 at 2:32 AM Post #15 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbk
Using the iPod as the source, does the UE10 sound change significantly when the phones are amped? Listening unamped, would you still say the same in regards to the UE10 vs. the Sensas?

Congrats on the phones. Now I wish I had just gone full-throttle and gotten the UE10s.

I'll make sure I test this. I don't have time right now.

So far my take on things with my home setup is the ue10 are better than the sensas but not by a lot. It's not as big as of difference as I hoped. The RS-1 sound signaficantly better than both. My guess is it's the mids. Both the ue10 and sensas mids are week in comparison.

Didn't a read somehwhere that the Westone's triple driver had better mids? Hmmm. Anyway, if you already have the sensas, I don't think it's worth it to buy the ue10. Maybe just use the treble boost and save money. If you haven't bought either one, I'd recommend the ue10 (although I don't make recommendations anymore). Sorry.

Anyway, I'll let the burnin for a while, do some more testing and just give them a good listen and see if my opinion changes. If not, I swear I'm just going wear the RS-1 in public. For what I spent on the iem's, I could have 2 more sets and not worried about weather damage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back