UE-10 PRO vs Sensaphonic 2XS (and RS-1): First Impressions
Mar 5, 2005 at 6:19 PM Post #31 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamdone
The problem with both of them is when I played Jane's Addition "Mountain Song" both don't come anywhere close to the RS-1. So even though I find the ue10 overall better than the sensas, it still doesn't do what I hoped it would do. I'm still let down on rock songs. I know how the songs should sound and that's not what I hear when I listen to the ue10. I put on the RS-1 and it sounds prefect.

So if you have $950 to spend on headphones and want both a home headphone and a portable one, I would prefer the etys and the RS-1, over the ue10 alone. To me the RS-1 is that much better. I'd be willing to sacrafice my portable listening pleasure to have the RS-1 in my collection.

I really like that you are able to be so honest with yourself and us about what you find lacking in your IEMs. My one concern while waiting for your review is that you would be compelled to like the UE10 as much as your RS-1, that the amount of money you spent could preclude an honest opinion. Not out of a sense of dishonesty, but out of a sense of getting your money's worth with these expensive IEMs.

I just wanted to thank you, because being honest is invaluable to those of us evaluating these purchases. Sure, it's just one opinion, but it's an opinion uncolored by a buyer's need for rationalization. You're a service to head-fi in being so objective, thanks again.

It sounds like you are reasonably settled early on in some of your conclusions, but in flux on others. I find it very interesting to follow your progress, I imagine as time goes and your listening experience increases, more and more of your impressions will become settled and we can see how someone progresses from initial purchase to final conclusion.

Mar 5, 2005 at 6:28 PM Post #32 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzula
I really like that you are able to be so honest with yourself and us about what you find lacking in your IEMs. My one concern while waiting for your review is that you would be compelled to like the UE10 as much as your RS-1, that the amount of money you spent could preclude an honest opinion. Not out of a sense of dishonesty, but out of a sense of getting your money's worth with these expensive IEMs.

I just wanted to thank you, because being honest is invaluable to those of us evaluating these purchases. Sure, it's just one opinion, but it's an opinion uncolored by a buyer's need for rationalization. You're a service to head-fi in being so objective, thanks again.

It sounds like you are reasonably settled early on in some of your conclusions, but in flux on others. I find it very interesting to follow your progress, I imagine as time goes and your listening experience increases, more and more of your impressions will become settled and we can see how someone progresses from initial purchase to final conclusion.

I thought I settled but for some reason the ue10 are not sounding as good as the sensas as the moment. Not sure what changed? Either I was so wanting the ue10 to sound better and now I'm finally hearing their true sound or there is some burnin going on that I'm not aware of.

I swore everything sounded better with the ue10 earlier this morning. Now the sensas even seem to have better highs.
eek.gif
All is fine in the end because I still own both and can listen to either one. I also had to hear both for myself. I did learn just how much I enjoy the Grados though. The honeymoon has not worn off with those!

Well I got things to do that don't involve headphones. Such a beatiful day in San Francisco, I have to get off this computer and get outside. I'll just let them burn in the rest of the day and try again later.

Mar 5, 2005 at 6:35 PM Post #33 of 95
Quote:

EDIT: I funny how just something as simple as volume adjustment can make all the difference.

Boy, you can say that again!

I've seen this time and time again at the meets I've attended. It's about the last thing people think about in their first encounter with new gear. It has to to with the impedence. The UE's are 13 ohms and the Sensas are 27 ohms, big difference!

Folks at the NY meet last May were doing quick, on the fly A/B type comparisons of the HE90's and Omega II's, both driven from the same source and amp. But they weren't volume adjusting, so everyone was declaring the HE90's the clear winner, saying things like "the Omega II's are way too recessed..." Problem is, the HE90's are 500V polarization, while the Omega II's are 580V.

Mar 5, 2005 at 6:40 PM Post #34 of 95
Quote:

I thought I settled but for some reason the ue10 are not sounding as good as the sensas as the moment. Not sure what changed? Either I was so wanting the ue10 to sound better and now I'm finally hearing their true sound or there is some burnin going on that I'm not aware of.

I think you're looking for a conclusion pretty soon (second day), but it'll take you a month or two to get intimately familar with the UE I'd wager.

Mar 5, 2005 at 6:55 PM Post #35 of 95
Quote:

So here's my lineup of headphones I've heard: RS-1> HD650/zu> UE10> Sensas> Ety ER-4S>Shure E5.

How would you say the Shure E5 compare to the rest?

Mar 5, 2005 at 7:39 PM Post #36 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by hackeron
How would you say the Shure E5 compare to the rest?

Sorry I'm the wrong person to ask. As you can see, they are at the bottom of my rating. These definately had too much drop in the highs for my taste. I found the boomy and the vocal were off. The only thing I like is they have more headroom than the etys.

Mar 5, 2005 at 8:11 PM Post #37 of 95
I stepped back in for a moment. I tried changing a few things. I hooked up the SR-71 to my emu-1212 instead of the PPA. It's sounds better for both of the iems. The PPA works better with the Grados. I also used the cleaning tool to see if any wax effected the sound. I don't know if it was blocked but there was some wax.

So after some changes, I think there about equal right now listening to The Clash "Charlie Don't Surf". This just goes to show you how close in sound I think they are.

Anyway, I off again. 70's and blue sky are calling. No reason to be indoors. If I wasn't leaving with my wife, I'd bring them with me and just walk around.

Mar 5, 2005 at 11:33 PM Post #38 of 95
1) now you know why i listen loud - the sensas at lower volumes have zero dynamics. it's like, the louder you make them, the closer you get to the live performance coming out of the iem's...so damn sweet. i was listening to anberlin out of my ipod at full volume, it was orgasmic. it was a little too loud but it was just so real.

2) you said, with the ue's it still sounds "like I'm listening to a recording." - with the sensas everything sounds "real." if you're looking for live music in your iem, the sensas give it to you.

later.

Mar 5, 2005 at 11:57 PM Post #39 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by toaster22
2) you said, with the ue's it still sounds "like I'm listening to a recording." - with the sensas everything sounds "real." if you're looking for live music in your iem, the sensas give it to you.

later.

Both the ue10 and the sensas sound like I'm listening to a recording. Go listen to a pair of Grados and you'll hear the difference. It's a big difference.

The other thing right now is I find both headphones have a similar sound signature. If you like one, you'll probably like the other. I'm just having a hard time figuring out the differences and which I prefer. So if you think sensas give you a live sound, so does the ue10.

I don't plan to make anymore opinions until I've spend a lot more time with them. Usually my first opinions have been right but this time, I'm still undecided. Maybe I'll remain undecided and actually use both. I know this doesn't help others make a decision, but that's the best I can do for now.

Mar 6, 2005 at 12:21 AM Post #40 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by toaster22

I've seen many of the bands I have cds for in concert, I've been to 15-20 or more concerts a year the last three or four years alone. I haven't heard anything, including the universal fit Sensaphonics, that sound just like live music. I don't think the CD format is really capable of that, is it? If it is, your setup must cost a ton.

Mar 6, 2005 at 12:24 AM Post #41 of 95
nah, just an ipod.

Mar 6, 2005 at 12:28 AM Post #42 of 95
I did listen to them out of an Ipod, and at least for the rock shows it wasn't anywhere near the same as live music.

I can see the claim that they're great out of the ipod, just not the live music claim.

It'll be interesting to see if Iamdone continues to see the UE10 and Sensa sound signtures similarly over time...

Mar 6, 2005 at 12:29 AM Post #43 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzula
I've seen many of the bands I have cds for in concert, I've been to 15-20 or more concerts a year the last three or four years alone. I haven't heard anything, including the universal fit Sensaphonics, that sound just like live music. I don't think the CD format is really capable of that, is it? If it is, your setup must cost a ton.

His setup is an ipod with lossy files at full volume. Maybe the full volume might give you the allusion of a loud concert but I'm not will to try. I can only make it to about 75% volume at most with the sensas and about 50% with the ue10. My guess would be hearing loss if he keeps that up. That's something I wouldn't wish on anyone, especially someone who loves music. Please be carefull.

Mar 6, 2005 at 12:31 AM Post #44 of 95
Seconded on the hearing issue. I listen at low volumes, and I didn't realize that the huge amount of time I was listening was possibly causing issues, and may have now done some damage. Both volume and exposure period are important, although I'm sure volume is the big issue for most.

Wish I had that to do over again....

Mar 6, 2005 at 1:03 AM Post #45 of 95
Listening to some stuff I arranged and was there playing, yeah, it comes closer to live than anything else I've heard. If you think about it, that's what they're supposed to do anyway. Anything less, they'd be useless for use by performers.

I'm referring to Sensas. But I'm confused, iamdone, about the comparison to rs-1s. I've not ever heard the rs-1, but a lot of people I know generally regard the sound of the rs-1 to have a coloration. So if that's the case, are you just liking this coloration about all else, and wanting the iem's to share the same characteristic? Do you believe the rs-1 to be completely neutral?

I'm asking because maybe I haven't heard the rs-1s, but a lot of people reading this have, and seeing your views here and how they compare to their views would answer a lot about how these iem's sound. It's always in the little perceptions.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back