UE-10 Pro finally arrived.
Jun 15, 2004 at 11:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Big D

500+ Head-Fier
At last I have my UE-10 Pro after 2 days of the package going "missing" at my local FedEx office, but suddenly reappeared today. The outer package was opened and the metal case scratched by the knife used to open the box the case comes in. Answers on a postcard as to what happened to it!!
rolleyes.gif
Suffice to say that FedEx will be paying for a new case.

Rant over, now onto the rave!

I ordered a them in clear with the full-soft option.

I have been using them for a couple of hours straight out of my iHP-140 using 228kbps Ogg files. Having made the mistake before with commenting on sound quality with the Shure E3 I will only go as far as to say I am not disappointed at all. The seal is incredible and they easily pass into the ear canal, about 5-10 seconds per ear to get the perfect fit. The metal case itself is so much smaller than I imagined from Gorman's pictures.

When I get a chance I'll post some pictures. I want to have a really good play with them before I post any real opinions on the sound quality. My intention is to compare to the Shure E5 and Ety ER4-P which I previously owned.

Jun 15, 2004 at 11:03 AM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Big D
The metal case itself is so much smaller than I imagined from Gorman's pictures.

That's why I took a shot with the Karma standing on its side... I too, from Welly's pictures, believed it was bigger. My intention failed...
smily_headphones1.gif
Quote:

My intention is to compare to the Shure E5 and Ety ER4-P which I previously owned.

I hope you will enjoy them. And I'm really sorry about your case being scratched...
frown.gif

I'm particularly interested in your comparison with Etys, specifically regarding details.

Jun 15, 2004 at 4:24 PM Post #3 of 10
Big D -- that is wonderful news! You'll need to take some serious time off from work now to pay attention to your new toys!

Fed Ex can be awful. I once ordered racing skate cross-country skis and they were RUN OVER by Fed Ex! So the top of the box was at a right angle, as were the skis inside. They paid for replacements, of course, but as with your new toys it's awful to wait for something you really want and have them arrive damaged.

Anyway enjoy your music! And yes, the box really isn't all that big and it's a beauty, isn't it?

ps Do your buds fit in the leatherette case? I've been using that of late going to and from the gym and it seems to work just fine!

Jun 15, 2004 at 4:28 PM Post #4 of 10
Cool, another review. I'm also very interested in the the ety comparison.

I have one question, did you have a preference for the etys or the shures before? I just want to get an idea of where you're coming from.

Jun 15, 2004 at 4:42 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamdone
Cool, another review. I'm also very interested in the the ety comparison.

I have one question, did you have a preference for the etys or the shures before? I just want to get an idea of where you're coming from.

I didn't have a preference for either to be honest. When I got the UE-10 Pro I was looking for the Ety detail and highs with the E5's bass response (or better). I will take my time over my detailed opinions but without going into too much detail I am very happy.
icon10.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by random person
Anyway enjoy your music! And yes, the box really isn't all that big and it's a beauty, isn't it?

ps Do your buds fit in the leatherette case? I've been using that of late going to and from the gym and it seems to work just fine!

The box is fantastic. It'll only be $20 plus shipping, which I can claim from FedEx anyway. It still functions fully bar the cosmetic damage - goes to show how good the case is!

If I take them out of my ears long enough I'll tell you about the leather case!! I've waited so long to get these, about 3 months including the initial thinking time, since I first saw the UE-5c review on iPodlounge. Music first....
icon10.gif

Jun 15, 2004 at 5:02 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Big D
I didn't have a preference for either to be honest. When I got the UE-10 Pro I was looking for the Ety detail and highs with the E5's bass response (or better). I will take my time over my detailed opinions but without going into too much detail I am very happy.
icon10.gif

I can't wait to see you full review. That some up my feeling of what I'm expecting them to sound like. I did prefer the ety just because I couldn't live without the highs. I'm actually hoping they sound better than my hd650/zu if not on par.

I'll have to wait until August since I've got a vacation come up this week and then going on another one for half of July so I wouldn't be here by the time the headphones would be ready. Plus I'm not taking my ipod on that trip so the headphone wouldn't even be neccasary. Plus it give more time to read everyone's reviews. They already helped me rule out the ue5c.

Jun 15, 2004 at 5:19 PM Post #7 of 10
Yay for Big D! I hope you love your Ue-10 PRO full-soft earphones. They are uber comfortable and the sound only gets better with time. Please remember that they take approximately 125+ hours of constant burn-in time. This is my schedule:

48 hours at a lower than normal listening volume
48 hours at a normal listening volume
48 hours at a slightly higher than normal listening volume
24 hours at a high listening volume (optional)

After you break the first 75 hours, you will begin to notice that it opens up quite a bit but don't stop burning-in! Once you reach the critical 100 hour mark, then you may be tempted to stop burning-in but don't! Stick with it until you pass the 125+ hour mark. This is what I am still doing after I received mine back from UE a few weeks ago. A headphone amplifier is not a must but it will certainly be an additional luxury when used in conjunction with the Ue-10 PRO earphones.

Jun 15, 2004 at 5:27 PM Post #8 of 10
I think the cosmetic damage gives it a little character. Gives you a story to tell. As long as the earphones aren't damaged and the case still functions I'd keep it. It's all about the music anyway right?

Just my opinion of course...
etysmile.gif

Jun 15, 2004 at 5:36 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by superjohnny
I think the cosmetic damage gives it a little character. Gives you a story to tell. As long as the earphones aren't damaged and the case still functions I'd keep it. It's all about the music anyway right?

Just my opinion of course...
etysmile.gif

I'll be keeping it and FedEx will be buying me a spare!!
biggrin.gif

Jun 17, 2004 at 11:32 AM Post #10 of 10
I had a wnader into the city centre today to see if I would get any funny looks and to see how isolating they are in the real world.

Heel strike is very prominent as I expected having used the Etys before. Even on quite low volumes the isolation is superb and the music crystal clear. I only removed and reinserted once, which was actually quite easy.

Not one strange look or someone shouting at me. I suspect this is because they are wired and I take the cable over the ear and back to the front and into my jacket pocket making them look more like traditional earphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back