uDAC2 or Icon HD?
Jan 23, 2011 at 7:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

drhoooon

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I tried searching but haven't found a good answer.

I was wondering how the DAC component of Icon HD compared to uDAC2.
Is it worth upgrading?
Would I see an immediate improvement with only a grado 60? (I hope to try Senn hd 650 someday..hopefully not too soon)

HD has come under my radar with its price...sigh 
eek.gif

thanks!

Jan 24, 2011 at 11:03 AM Post #2 of 3
I don't know how it compares honestly, but the website mentions this much:

Udac-2
A D/A converter chip then translates the data to a two-volt analog signal.The NuForce uDAC-2's performance equals or exceeds that of a great many audiophile CD players.

Icon HD

The Icon HDP employs the same DAC as our high-end CDP-8 (MSRP $1450.00). The following design features contributed to the stellar performance of the Icon HD:​

1. Components along the signal path are minimized.
  2. The 24/96 USB interface outputs a I2S signal to a high-quality DAC.
  3. The digital circuit occupies a separate daughter board.
  4. The DAC chip consists of four internal 24/192kHz DACs that provide a fully differential and balanced output. The differential signal's DC offset operates without a need for decoupling caps.
  5. Digital and analog voltages each have separately isolated internal power regulations.

It might just be a lot of marketing speak, but the people at Nuforce are definitely trying hard to show off the DAC aspect of the Icon HD, and they barely make note of it in the product description for the Udac-2. There is definitely a difference, or why wouldn't they brag about the DAC element of the UDAC-2 as much as they do for the Icon HD?  

If it can be heard with your headphones, or at all; I don't know.  

Hopefully someone who has personal experience with both products can chime in!

Jan 24, 2011 at 5:56 PM Post #3 of 3
What I heard on my K701 and RS1 showed no big differences between the uDAC2 and the HDP as DACs. As you may already know, the amp on the HD is the same as the HDP and hence it is a lot better than the uDAC2 in that section. I'd say the amp can compete with anything within the $300-$400 region though synergy is a whole different story

Users who are viewing this thread

Back