uDAC-2 or Zero
Jan 20, 2011 at 12:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

macrocheesium

Headphoneus Supremus
I've been trying to decide between these two for quite a while, and yes I did do my searching... yet I couldn't find a comparison. Or if there's a better one you could recommend me for less than $130 shipped (used is fine) , all suggestions are welcome.

What I am looking for most is soundstage, clarity, and tight powerful drums. Using the k240's out of my desktop, but I will be upgrading within the next few months to HD650's and eventually an amp (probably the Matrix M-Stage). Thanks!

Jan 20, 2011 at 6:36 PM Post #2 of 5
I looked at both of those too. I decided on the uDAC-2 based on the overall satisfaction of the reviews that I researched. I believe some Zero DAC's had some issues (don't remember exactly what). I also called and discussed this unit as well as the Icon HD with Nuforce tech support...they were VERY helpful and great to talk with. I will get my uDAC early next week.

Brian

Jan 20, 2011 at 8:11 PM Post #3 of 5
Cool, that puts the nuForce ahead right now. Do you remember if it was the newer or older Zero that had problems? Because I know they fixed something with the newer version...

I kind of assumed the Zero would sound better because it's so much bulkier and more expensive, but maybe not.

EDIT:: Decided to go with the uDAC2-HP. Thread closed. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 21, 2011 at 1:55 PM Post #4 of 5

Quote:
Cool, that puts the nuForce ahead right now. Do you remember if it was the newer or older Zero that had problems? Because I know they fixed something with the newer version...

I kind of assumed the Zero would sound better because it's so much bulkier and more expensive, but maybe not.

EDIT:: Decided to go with the uDAC2-HP. Thread closed. 
smily_headphones1.gif

If you want to buy a Zero i would advice to you to buy it from a seller with good after sales service (in case of faulty hardware), on ebay I know wsz0304 who is selling the Zero Newer version with OPA627 (the best version), just ask the correct voltage for your country 110V or 220V.

A Bulky DAC/amp not necessarily mean that it will sound better than a lighter one, but if you compare a DAC/Amp with dedicated Power supply and an unit only powered by USB there's no secret in 95% of the case the headphone output will sound better, especially if your headphone need much power... but sometimes there are exceptions.

Jan 21, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #5 of 5

Users who are viewing this thread

Back