uDac 2 and OSX El Capitan
Oct 6, 2015 at 8:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

blackzarg

100+ Head-Fier
Hi! Is anyone still using the Nuforce uDAC 2? I updated to OSX 10.11 and my audio no longer works. I did read a few other people with this, just wondering if any smart people here found a workaround :)

Oct 13, 2015 at 12:17 AM Post #5 of 11
I have the same problem with El Capitan and uDac2. I also have a SMSL M8 DAC and there does not seem to be any problems with that and El Capitan.

Nov 10, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #7 of 11
I have a Nuforce uDac2 and I use Audirvana Plus as my main player on my macbook pro...I kind of found a workaround, it's a bit annoying but it seems to work consistently:
When you first plug in the udac, it'll show up in the system as Nuforce uDac2, but when I press play it'll start up, and then immediately say 'stopping audio device'  at which time if you go into sound preferences you'll notice for some reason the Nuforce has changed to IOUSBHostInterface.  Now if you go into audirvana's prefs and set it to the IOUSBblahblah and then restart audirvana, generally it always works for me now.
Annoying to have to go through that but at least it works  :-\

Nov 15, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #8 of 11
So I was having the same problems, with the NuForce DAC 2. Googling the issue a bit, it seems USB Audio in El Capitan has major issues, the basis of which is Apple completely rewriting how USB Audio works (or so I gather). 

I was super frustrated with this, as I use 10 foot USB cable to connect my machine to my receiver – the DAC sitting at the receiver.
After reading antiproanti's post about IOUSBInterface coming up instead of the name of the driver, it occured to me that it may be a problem with my USB hub. 
It was!
Plugging the DAC directly into my machine I got the same thing as – shows up as Nuforce DAC in sound outputs, dissappears after one attempt connect, and reappears as IOUSBInterface. 

Mildly annoying, but a lot better than recabling my studio :•)

Mar 24, 2016 at 9:23 AM Post #11 of 11
Finally seems Apple fixed the issue with its latest update to ElCapitan.

As many of those who posted in this forum, I had problems with my USB DAC (an uDAC2 from NuForce) connecting and disconnecting after upgrading to ElCapitan.

Among other things, last update (10.11.4) "Fixes an issue that caused USB audio devices to diconnect" and at least in my case it did deliver on its promise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back