Ubuntu Users: Anyone middle clicking on a touchpad in v11.10?
Dec 3, 2011 at 2:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

stevenswall

1000+ Head-Fier
I believe I will find the answer sooner or later, but right now its a race to see how fast. (Google+, Facebook, UbuntuStach, & Headfi.)

I'm trying to get a feel for whether or not any user of 11.10 Ubuntu Linux, or even Ubuntu Mint 12 would be able to see if they can middle click (eg: open link in new tab) by tapping their touchpad with three fingers.

I had this middle clicking function in Ubuntu 10.10, but it's gone now, and I want it back. Hopefully someone's in the same boat and has figured out how to fix it.

Dec 3, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #2 of 9
Bump.

I asked a question on justanswers.com, and hopefully I will get a response. The basic functionality of the site is that you place money on a question, and it's opened to a large group of experts to answer. Hopefully I have a response in 24 hours.

Dec 4, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #3 of 9
Holy crap! I have the exact same experience. Oddly enough middle-clicking still works on my usb mouse, but not on the touchpad. It feels like Windows XP all over again. 
angry_face.gif
 Hope there's an answer.

Dec 5, 2011 at 1:58 AM Post #4 of 9
I offered $50 on Facebook, a public Google+ post, and a Diaspora pod post. If it gets no response, it may not be possible, or, it may be so ridiculously time consuming as to to not be worth the coding time it would take.

Anyway, it's been over 24 hours, so I guess I'm sticking with 10.10 and Gnome2 with kernel 2.6.

Dec 5, 2011 at 2:11 AM Post #5 of 9
Dec 5, 2011 at 4:25 AM Post #6 of 9
The first thread is one I've seen already, and the end result is not what I want. (I want to use 3 fingers for middle click, not 2, because then I can't right click.)

I tried the second, third, and fourth ones on a live CD of Ubuntu 11.10 yesterday to no avail. I can get middle clicking, but not without sacrificing two finger right clicking.

Thanks for the suggestions, Hopefully I find an answer, otherwise I guess it'll be v10.10 for life, the last great Ubuntu.

Dec 5, 2011 at 4:42 AM Post #7 of 9
I figured you'd probably already seen them, but hey. They're not aimed towards the exact result we're looking for, but sometimes you can reverse engineer those kinds of things. I stayed with 10.10 when 11.04 came out, so I know what you mean. I've managed to become pretty comfortable with Gnome Shell in 11.10. I hate how 90% of the old features and customizations were suddenly removed in Natty, and are only slowly trickling back in.

Dec 5, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #8 of 9
No kidding. The should have either built on Gnome2, or when they released Gnome3 made sure to support the same feature set, especially with the panels and menus.

Nov 3, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #9 of 9

Users who are viewing this thread

Back