Ubuntu Amarok vs WinXP cPlay
Dec 21, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #31 of 33
I made a blind test video and scored 99+%, the accuracy dropped at the end because of fatigue. It was 99,9% at one point, this should be proof enough. The differences were as big as WinXP vs Ubuntu. However, these differences are very far from the HUGE differences of tweaks, most of my music is still mp3 because of this reason, I feel no need to upgrade my mp3's because each of my tweaks make a bigger improvement than mp3 vs wav.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/bl...0-kbps-461878/

ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Dec 21, 2009 at 3:46 AM Post #32 of 33
hey Patrick, how about trying in xmplay or MPC+Reclock in WASAPI exclusive and/or KS/ASIO? many ppl say that foobar sounds ugly, and Reclock in KS definitely sounds different from foobar...and for FLAC you can use madflac. Even this guy measured the foobar jitter: Measuring XXHighEnd ...

the "foobar" name might have been very well chosen actually
noxauror.gif

Sep 10, 2010 at 7:19 AM Post #33 of 33

Quote:
I have dual boot on my undervolted Asrock nettop 330. I booted into Ubuntu (Linux) and listened to a track, then I booted into WinXP and closed all programs on task bar, then I started up cPlay and put only one track into the playlist, I have enabled "advanced ram allocation" which should give better sound. I also turn off my display before I listen.

There is clearly a difference in brightness and resolution. This is due to lower power consumption of the Ubuntu OS. The difference is about as big as FLAC vs WAV playback (1% CPU draw).

Ubuntu sounded very smooth with more low-level detail, WinXP sounded bright and edgy, I ended up covering my ears with my hands. The difference is so big that I need to restart my computer and boot into Ubuntu whenever I listen to music.

I'm using EMU0404 USB and Adam A7 studio monitors.

if  you  play
  1. UbuntuStudio
  2. RealTime   
  3. yes  yes  yes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back