Typing abilities
Oct 31, 2002 at 3:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

CaptBubba

Not dumb enough fora custom title...so he thought.
I noticed the prodigious posting rates that some head-fiers have and I was wondering how skilled a typist everyone is. Myself, I can touch type some things but I don't use the home keys like I should, but I am trying to rectify that by forcing myself to touch-type using the home keys. Dang it is tough.

Oct 31, 2002 at 3:41 AM Post #2 of 49
Oct 31, 2002 at 3:41 AM Post #3 of 49
I took a typing class when I was in high school.
(a long time ago)
I know where the keys are but I type with 4 fingers.
biggrin.gif

Oct 31, 2002 at 3:47 AM Post #5 of 49
I don't use my pinky either, but it doesn't seem to matter. My hands dance around a bit more than someone who types perfectly, but I can still put out about 60 wpm or so.

kerely

Oct 31, 2002 at 3:53 AM Post #6 of 49
70 wpm here
biggrin.gif
cool.gif

I think I disagree with the teachers (whoever they are) a bit about what finger to press M with (index or middle finger?) but other than that, homing on everything... heck, on a good day I can touch-type backspace and numbers too
biggrin.gif
cool.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Oct 31, 2002 at 11:32 AM Post #7 of 49
When my daugter was in elementary school, I forced her to learn how to type with Mavis Beacon typing tutor program. Now she's always on the internet messaging and chatting with her friends. When she types, she goes so fast that It looks like she's faking it. Just running her fingers over random keys. I guess she's all set until speech recognition gets better.

Oct 31, 2002 at 12:16 PM Post #8 of 49
I took typing in high school as an easy credit and to be in a class with mostly girls. Then computers came along and it turned out to be the most practical course I took.

Oct 31, 2002 at 2:17 PM Post #10 of 49
i'm a dork and can get up to 90 words per minute. yay for the geeks!

although, i have always typed pretty fast and i remember when i first moved to college and i was helping people setup their computers, since most had not the slightest clue, people were amazed at how fast i typed. however, after a few weeks of aim (i swear that school RAN on instant messages), everyone seemed to catch up and not notice my typing much anymore. start using those home keys, once you do, you'll never go back.
biggrin.gif

Oct 31, 2002 at 9:24 PM Post #12 of 49
Quote:

Originally posted by skippy
any ever try to set up their keyboard for a dvorak layout?

i always wanted to try a dvorak keyboard, but i figure it would only destroy the space-time continuum and end life as i know it.

ah **** it, off to ebay!

Oct 31, 2002 at 10:06 PM Post #13 of 49
same here; looked at dvorak, but decided it would end life as I know it.
md
oh, about 30-40wpm here

Nov 1, 2002 at 1:27 AM Post #14 of 49
I never really learned to type "correctly", but I know where everything is and can type pretty fast. If I went back and learned all of what fingers to use with what keys, I might be more efficient, but I'm too used to doing it the way I do.

What's weird about how I type is I only use three fingers for each hand. I use my fourth finger of my left hand for "a", but other than that I don't use my fourth or fifth fingers at all 0_o

I never realized this until one day when I looked down at how I was typing and thought about it and...whoa, what the heck, I'm only using six fingers! Go figure. =P

Nov 1, 2002 at 2:20 AM Post #15 of 49
The sad thing is that if I place my left hand on the keyboard then I automatically go to the WSAD keys, with my pinky on shift/ctrl and my thumb on spacebar.
eek.gif

methinks I play a bit too much counter-strike.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back