Two Questions from a new member regarding Sound Stage and Dynamic Drivers vs Dual BA
Feb 23, 2013 at 4:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

ScaldedDog

New Head-Fier
I have done some searching previous to starting this thread but haven't found information that has satisfied my curiousity, or to be more honest, that I completely understood.  Simply put, is there a particular sound signature that creates a greater sound stage?  Also, what are the main differences between IEMs with a dynamic driver vs dual BA - thinking about sound quality as well as longevity.  

FWIW, choices I am looking at are TDK BA200, Yamaha EPH-100SL, Sony XBA3, VSonic07, TDK IE800, Earsonic SM1

Feb 23, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #2 of 3
Some IEMs offers fixed large soundstage and every song sound big and wide like SennheisernIE8, JVC FX700, Sony EX1000, UE TF10Pro. On other hand few IEMs sound may have above average soundstage like on RE272, UM3X but they shows greater space between instruments, better imaging and other has average soundstage.

Feb 24, 2013 at 1:17 AM Post #3 of 3
Quote:
I have done some searching previous to starting this thread but haven't found information that has satisfied my curiousity, or to be more honest, that I completely understood.  Simply put, is there a particular sound signature that creates a greater sound stage?  Also, what are the main differences between IEMs with a dynamic driver vs dual BA - thinking about sound quality as well as longevity.  

FWIW, choices I am looking at are TDK BA200, Yamaha EPH-100SL, Sony XBA3, VSonic07, TDK IE800, Earsonic SM1

There are long thread on differences between driver types if you search a bit, there tend to be exceptions for everything you might say about one driver or the other.

Some things to consider:
-Many of the cues for soundstage come from the recording so audio engineers I've spoken to sometimes say that audiophiles' discussion of the soundstage of earphones can be a bit overdone. I'm not sure I agree entirely, but there may be something to that.

-Other audio engineers point to the Haas effect and say that our sense of soundstage can be altered by including small fluctuations in the frequency response of an earphone--it's an interesting idea that I don't have the audio background to say more about, so just keep in mind that it's an interesting idea that is used by iem makers now.

-Dynamic driver earphones are almost always vented. Even if you can't see the hole (and sometimes you can), there's a little vent for air flow. This does tend to give a greater soundstage as well as better bass. There is even an armature iem with a vented shell for just these advantages. The disadvantage is a reduction in isolation, of course.

Hope that helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back