Two New (new for me at least) Patricia Barber CDs
Jul 18, 2001 at 6:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4
A while ago I bought Patricia Barber's Nightclub, and have been enjoying it tremendously since. I decided to pick up a couple more of her other CDs today:
  1. Companion and
  2. Modern Cool
I've only had a chance to listen to the first couple tracks of Companion, but, wow, what an album so far! Track 1 is "The Beat Goes On" (the one written by Sonny Bono), and Ms. Barber and the band do a really fun job with this well-known tune -- Sonny Bono's version just won't cut it with me ever again. Track 2, titled "Use Me," is just an absolute jam. Michael Arnopol opens up the track with some bass-playing that is just out of this world -- you have got to hear this on my Sony MDR-7506's, as it is just out of control (in a good way). That's about as far as I've gotten because I keep re-playing Tracks 1 and 2.

Modern Cool is still in its wrapper, but I'll likely be giving that a listen tonight, as I've still got a few hours of work ahead of me that should allow me some good listening time.

By the way, also noteworthy is the recording quality. So far, Companion is showing itself to be every bit the audiophile album. In fact, in listening to Nightclub and what I've heard so far of Companion, it's not surprising the writers at Stereophile often praise Patricia Barber's albums. I fully expect Modern Cool to be of the same great recording quality.

Oh, here's an interesting tidbit, friends: Michael Arnopol -- the bassist in Ms. Barber's band -- is our very own fellow Head-Fi'er mikejazz!

Michael, phenomenal job. Can't wait to hear the rest of Companion and Modern Cool!

Jul 18, 2001 at 2:56 PM Post #2 of 4
Jude, run out and get "Split." I picked up this CD a couple of days ago and it has become my favorite Patricia Barber CD yet. It is a very "Jazzy" sounding CD with some incredible playing on it. I'm actually listening to it right now through my Philips EXP 103 CD/MP3 player, Total Airhead, and Beyer DT-231 headphones and it sounds great! I promise you won't be disappointed.
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah, I received a PM from MikeJazz and couldn't believe it. That's so cool!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back