Two headphone jacks on Melos SHA-1
Jan 13, 2002 at 10:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

MirandaX

100+ Head-Fier
I've heard two stories about the headphone jacks on the Melos SHA-1. Some people say that they're identical, while some say that one's designed to drive low impedance phones and the other's designed for high impedance phones.

Who's right? If the jacks are different, is the low impedance one on the left or the right?

Jan 13, 2002 at 4:39 PM Post #3 of 10
Hehe... well, I don't know for sure as I haven't opened the thing up to look, but I can't tell a difference between the two jacks. And the manual says nothing about them being different.

I've driven HD600s from both with no problem and they sounded identical, so I say they're the same
smily_headphones1.gif
I do think that it was designed to drive both though, possibly with Grados in mind. I have yet to try any Grados with it, but I would really like to, I think it'd be fun
smily_headphones1.gif
Maybe sometime in the future when I have some money...

Jan 13, 2002 at 5:43 PM Post #4 of 10
Supposedly the Melos was designed to drive Grados. Probably a better way to look at it is that it can also drive Grados in addition to HD600.

There's plenty of power in the jack on my Melos Gold.

Mark

Jan 13, 2002 at 7:44 PM Post #5 of 10
The jack on the right has a higher impedance. It supposedly doesn't have enough power for the AKG K501s but it has more than enough for any other can. Although it sounds great with Senns (some dare say better than Max), there is still some strange amount of synergy with Grados.

Oh yeah, I opened my unit up and there is a resistor near the jack on the right.

Jan 13, 2002 at 10:41 PM Post #8 of 10
My SHA Gold has but one headphone jack. The manual sez it has a .5 ohm output so it will drive "any headphone".

markl

Jan 13, 2002 at 11:24 PM Post #9 of 10
The manual for the SHA-1 also says .5ohm, but not in direct correlation to the headphone out, just to the output in general. It also mentions that it can drive any headphones however.

Jan 13, 2002 at 11:28 PM Post #10 of 10
You can sort of tell that it has more than enough power because it opens up headphones so much. Lots of dynamic range, transients, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back