Twisted Pear Buffalo Sabre DAC
Sep 19, 2008 at 1:34 PM Post #301 of 1,284
Could anyone give me the dimensions of the board? I can't find it anywere, but it would cool to have them, so I can think about a case.

About how long will it take for the boards to get finished? I'd really like to get one...

Sep 19, 2008 at 2:35 PM Post #303 of 1,284
Ah, thanks.

Do I need the IVY if I want to use the DAC for a single endet tube amp only?

Thanks

Sep 20, 2008 at 8:01 AM Post #304 of 1,284
tried my buffalo last night and i don't seem to be getting anything out of it. it does have the 1.65v dc offset on audio outputs, with ~5mV out of the ivy.

Problem is it just gives me noise, not like white noise, best i can describe it is digital sounding? Also i'm not sure what the leds (automute and lock) are supposed to do.

When i apply power it will have both leds on. When i connect something to the spdif in, the automute will turn off, if i disconnect the input it will stay with lock on and automute off.

anyone got tips for young players?

Sep 20, 2008 at 8:43 AM Post #305 of 1,284
You should only be getting the lock light when it has a SPDIF signal. Have you verified that your switches are in the proper position and the wires hooked up properly?

Sep 20, 2008 at 12:16 PM Post #306 of 1,284
yeah got the 4 switches set to +.
The spdif is set to on.
Signal from coax is on spdif and ground to ground. Actually tried reversing that and had the same result.

I have just tried straight from the buffalo into my amp (with cap for dc offset) and it had music at least, but both leds are on and automute comes off after connecting spdif like before. Problem was it would seem to drop out intermittantly and the sound was static like, definitely not how it should be.

i was haveing a good look at the ess chip on the buffalo and noticed some legs seem to not have much solder on them. I think there may be still a resonable connection and i might be clutching at straws. Amazingly i managed to get a pic of it.

PS go hawks!!! if your aussie you might understand me
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 20, 2008 at 2:05 PM Post #309 of 1,284
ok, a quick update before going to bed.

i also noticed pins that look similar to that on other sides, totaling 7 in all. In my searching i also noticed a possible bridge between 2 pins. i managed to get a knife in and cut it a bit.

Since then no noise and lock led is off when there is no input.
bigsmile_face.gif

the cutting in and out is only happening with the spdif from my computer. i can see the lock led will turn on and off. Funny thing is it'll have solid lock when the amp is off. i turn it on and the **** hits the fan.

When I use my cd player as a source the lock is on solid, no dramas when amp is turned on. weird.

i remember reading somewhere that spdif out of computers can be too hot or something, or not ac coupled. can't find that post, but i'm sure i read that somewhere. when tomorrow comes round i'll try ac coupling the spdif from the pc. Don't know how the amp being turned on could affect it but it's something i guess.

Sep 20, 2008 at 8:16 PM Post #310 of 1,284
Yes, I had that problem with a USB to SPDIF adaptor I used. Turns out the jitter from the adaptor was so high to be interefering with the DAC. I have since bought a soundcard with 24/192 SPDIF output so when it arrives I'll try it out again. What means of output are you using from the PC?

It seems that you do need to feed this DAC a good quality SPDIF, eg my monica DAC will lock on no problem, as will a fostex DAT machine I have here.

It works flawlessly though with any CDP and the squeezebox.

Fran

You are supposed to set switch 3 low I think......

Sep 21, 2008 at 1:50 AM Post #311 of 1,284
i have an auzentech X-Fi. It has a RCA connector for spdif out that will do both coax and optical. so far i have only used coax, i didn't think too far ahead and get the toslink module so i havn't tried optical yet.

did you find any way around the problems you had? Doesn't sound like you did. By the way i did find that post of yours, i have tried switch 3 low. No joy with that. I also tried putting it through D1 and spdif switch to low but that gives me nothing at all so i don't know what i'm doing wrong there.

doing these DIY projects is so much fun, even these little teething problems make it all fun. Just wish i didn't hate doing the enclosures!
biggrin.gif

Sep 21, 2008 at 9:22 PM Post #312 of 1,284
Enclosures are the bane of every DIYers life. Every time I start a project I swear I'm just gonna bite the bullet and buy a case..... but then meanness gets a hold and I end up using something else!

Anyway, no, I haven't sorted it out, but then I haven't tried to either. I have ordered a m-audiophile 192 and when that arrives I'll be working on it. SPDIF througha coax should be ok, but the SPDIF from a CDrom drive is often what is called TTL and is a higher level signal. Add a 200-500R resistor in series with the centre conductor of the coax and it will tame it enough for you to see if it makes a difference.

BTW, I have done some quick tests using a coax-from-3.5mm-minijack through an ordinary RCA cable and the positioning of the cable makes a huge difference. In other words SPDIF is susceptible to cable routing if you are using something rigged like this. Proper coax cable should be AOK though.

Fran

Sep 22, 2008 at 10:34 AM Post #315 of 1,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by fran /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Add a 200-500R resistor in series with the centre conductor of the coax and it will tame it enough for you to see if it makes a difference.

Fran

Yeah i tried that, no luck. It was more stable but still not %100. It's really disappointing that the spdif out from my pc is so crap, the PC is my main source
frown.gif

i wonder if the transformer coupled inputs on the 4:1 receiver/MUX module will be more tolerant of spdif from a PC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back