Tweaks for the Denon 370?
Aug 17, 2002 at 10:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

andrzejpw

May one day invent Bose-cancelling headphones.
I've heard that unplugging the headphone out will improve sound in the denon 370. Any thoughts on this? Anyone actually do this?

Aug 18, 2002 at 3:09 PM Post #2 of 18
Well, I just performed it. I have to say, Denon users of the world, UNITE! This really improves the player a ton. The HF are much less fatiguing, and the mid range is more natural. Even my hi-fi hateing dad(yes, the one that's helping me build the meta) had to agree: this is a noticeable difference. In fact, I've gone to best buy, and I've listened to the ns500v. The denon 370 is better in redbook. That may also stem from the fact that the denon is more expensive, but hey.

For a simple mod, this made a great improvement.

Aug 18, 2002 at 7:09 PM Post #3 of 18
Just performed the mod myself and must say on initial comparisons I like what I'm hearing. It certainly seems like the low end became fuller. Curious, where did you hear about this mod? Will continue to do some comparisons and report back.
The mod is extremely simple:
* Remove top cover of 370
* With the front of the 370 facing you remove the small white connector plug from the right rear underside of the top printed circuit board. Just carefully wiggle the inner plug connector side to side and outward to get it to release. Do not pull on the wires going to the connector to do this!

Aug 18, 2002 at 8:07 PM Post #4 of 18
Here's how I did it:

All I did, was opened the player up. Then, look where the headphone plug is. You'll see the power switch, and below it, a small board. On the board you'll see some a white connector attached to the board. Just wiggle it out! I've heard of people simply cutting the wire, but not unless you want the headphone jack lost forever.

Aug 18, 2002 at 8:50 PM Post #5 of 18
Now that you have started down the path of CDP modding, you shall be doomed to it forever! MUHAHAHAH!
evil_smiley.gif

Seriously, though, your next step will be to replace the crap opamp in the analog output stage with something better. Just look for an 8-pin chip with writing on it that looks like an opamp part number (i.e. TL072, TL082, OPA132, OPA27, etc) and look it up on the internet. If it really is an opamp, then carefully desolder it and replace it with a better one...

Aug 18, 2002 at 8:52 PM Post #6 of 18
andrzejpw,
I'm really beginning to love this mod! My combination Headmaster, Etymotic 4S, and Denon 370 never sounded so good! The bottom end has really been enhanced and as you stated any harshness has been toned down. It really sounds to me like everything opens up! The source material just sounds much less compressed. Where did you hear about this wonderful mod? Thanks for sharing it!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 18, 2002 at 9:41 PM Post #7 of 18
np! Actually, I found it using google. I was looking for something. Anything. To do with my denon.
smily_headphones1.gif
So I typed in denon 370 tweaks or mods or something like that. I read up on it, and I found out how to do it.

This makes the player AMAZING for the price. It was a great bargain before. This makes it even better.

Aug 18, 2002 at 11:20 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Even my hi-fi hateing dad(yes, the one that's helping me build the meta)

Does this mean you have two dads?
biggrin.gif

Seriously, I've done this mod a very long time ago. Too bad I still need the hp jack for most of my listening.
frown.gif

Aug 18, 2002 at 11:39 PM Post #12 of 18
Heres some other ideas on modifying the denon.

Replace power supply caps with higher-rated caps.

Replace output caps with boutique caps.

Replace opamp with opa 2132.

Got these from a website.
On further inspection of the Denon it seem that the board is upside down while being connected by about 4 long cables that may be impossible to remove without some cutting which I am too chicken to do.

Aug 18, 2002 at 11:51 PM Post #13 of 18
lol, yeah, me too. When I opened the board, it seems like it would be hard to gain access into the iniards of the cdp. I'm still thinking about a power cord upgrade though. . .

Aug 19, 2002 at 2:16 AM Post #15 of 18
loen,

welcome to head-fi!

if your cd player incorporates a headphone out and if it uses the same sort of connection (for example Marantz has the same set up in their cd players) then just follow andrze and flashbak's instructions.

flashback and andrze,

among all the great suggestions here, another cheap and easy mod is to dampen the chassis of your denon (or any other cd player with a flismy chassis). you can do this a variety of ways, but the easiest is to hit up your local best buy, circuit city, or car audio place and buy some dynamat. self adhesive, apply to the inside.

best,
carlo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back