TV: Sound bar or 5.1 ?
Nov 22, 2014 at 11:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Folex

Member of the Trade: PLAudio
I am looking to get my grandmother a soundbar or a 5.1 setup. 

She currently has a 42' 1080p tv. It only has 1 hdmi in. Her cable box is hdmi also. 

Looking to spend under $300 if possible. Any ideas ?

Nov 23, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #4 of 8
  Is there a setting you look for that the tv remote can control the sound bar ?

It's usually not something that you see; I've just been to some homes where the TV remote works and some don't (all in digital output to the soundbar BTW, I haven't seen one actually using analog). Best to ask the sales person or if you're ordering online, email the manufacturer. In our case granny already has trouble working the remote for the cable box, then has to call somebody to go over to the TV when she accidentally uses the TV remote and ends up browsing the internet on it.

Nov 23, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #5 of 8

It's usually not something that you see; I've just been to some homes where the TV remote works and some don't (all in digital output to the soundbar BTW, I haven't seen one actually using analog). Best to ask the sales person or if you're ordering online, email the manufacturer. In our case granny already has trouble working the remote for the cable box, then has to call somebody to go over to the TV when she accidentally uses the TV remote and ends up browsing the internet on it.

Do you have any suggestions for a good sound bad? There is a couple that look easy but I don't know how good the sound is. This one is perfect in terms of size, ease to setup etc. But I honestly have no idea how good the sound could be.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-HT-XT1-Channel-Built-In-Subwoofer/dp/B00IWQREOE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1416796972&sr=8-2&keywords=sony+sound+bar

Nov 23, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #6 of 8
The one I got to listen to and was kind of impressed was a Polk Audio with a separate subwoofer, but I had to use the separate remote on it. It made the siege of Minas Tirith sound fantastic though thanks to the sub module. I don't think your grandmother would really look to have her teeth feeling the impact of rocks smashing city walls though, so off the bat I'd say that Sony should work fine. Mind the space you'd put it on though - that one looks like you'd need to have space right in front of the display by its base. Even if you're grandmother doesn't look for SQ that much, if the off-axis response on this isn't too good or has a problem with a shelf above it, then she might perceive the bass-less, more direct sound off the TV to be clearer.

Nov 23, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #8 of 8
  It's designed to put the tv on top of it.

Part of my caution about it was in case her TV was wall-mounted or with a table just deep enough for the TV, and I haven't seen your granny's living room to know how it's mounted. In any case as long as it can be used as prescribed then the only thing left is to verify whether the TV remote can control the sound bar, if at least the master volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back