Tutorial: Increase the "Treble Energy and Detail" of the Shure SE530's! [Pics Included]-[MAIN POST UPDATED 5/04/09]
Feb 22, 2009 at 4:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 345

VoLTaG3

Banned
After now have tried every tip and acknowledged their weaknesses and strengths I will share with you guys my collected information...

[size=medium]Silicone (Triple Flanged Sleeves) Vs. Foam (Olives and Yellow Foams):[/size]

Pros of Triple Flanged Sleeves:
  1. Easiest to insert.
  2. Increases highs presence dramatically.
  3. The bass is more punchier and deeper notes are more well heard over other tips.
  4. Can be modified to fit your specific ear needs.
  5. Provides the best sound isolation in my opinion.
  6. The only tip that gives me a true balanced sound in each ear.
  7. This tip lasts the longest of all other tips.
Cons of Triple Flanged Sleeves:
  1. Upon acquiring a new pair the surface of the tips is very rough and dry and requires moistening to allow for easier insert.
  2. Must be modified at least to allow actual use.
  3. May irritate some ear canals. I never experienced this

Pros of Olives and Yellow Foams:
Olives:
  1. The most aesthetically pleasing tip for the Shure SE530's.
  2. Provides sound isolation nearly as good as the triple flanged sleeve.
  3. By far the most comfortable tip to use, doesn't irritate your ear canal at all!
  4. Adds a little more weight and oomph to bass due to the dense material. May not be like by others.
  5. The most durable and long lasting foam tip.
Yellow Foams:
  1. Reduces the bass weight and makes the tone natural which will be preferred and disliked by many.
  2. Brings out the high presence more than olives particularly due to the decrease in bass weight. The highs are not as crisp and present as the triple flanges sleeves though.
Cons of Olives and Yellow Foams:
Olives:
  1. Particularly the reason why my many people dislike the Shure SE530's highs, this tips leans to the warmer sound signature reducing the highs presence.
  2. Ridiculously hard to remove from the nozzle when it pasts the barb, this has lead to many cases of nozzles snapping.
  3. Gives me unbalanced sound at times due to my funny ass ear canal shape.
Yellow Foams:
  1. Has the worst sound isolation of all the tips due to it's porous material.
  2. Reduces the bass weight, this results in life less music IMO.
  3. Must be replaced every month at most since it easily loses it's ability to expand.
  4. The most aesthetically unpleasing tips for the Shure SE530's.
  5. Can easily lose seal if the SE530 unit is accidentally touched or jerked. Also if you yawn, laugh, or do any other jaw muscle requiring activity.
  6. Gives me unbalanced sound at times due to my funny ass ear canal shape.

Now that you have an idea of how each tip has fared with me lets get to the mod I think completely changes the way the Shure SE530's sound.

[size=large]Step 1: [/size]
First you start with a simple triple flange sleeve. Cut the first flange off at the top as shown in the picture below...
step1vcj.jpg

[size=large]Step 2: [/size]
Now here is the more difficult part. Cut the stem as close as you can as you see in the picture below. I have a regular flange stem next to it to give you a better idea of how short to cut it...
step2z.jpg

[size=large]Step 3: [/size]
Push the modified triple flange tip so that the end of the stem is just on top of the nozzle barb.
gedc1180.jpg

[size=large]Step 4: [/size]
Your finished and it should look like this...
gedc1181.jpg

I've noticed something. The sound exit hole for the triple flanges is significantly smaller than any other hole of other tips. This could be the reason for the treble presence to significantly increase completely balancing the sound signature of the Shure SE530's.

[size=medium]NO REVIEW OF THE SHURE SE530'S ARE CORRECT UNTIL THEY WERE REVIEW WITH MY MOD APPLIED TO THEM...[/size]

Anyways thanks for reading and hope you enjoy the mod, later.
popcorn.gif

Feb 22, 2009 at 4:28 PM Post #3 of 345
None of these places are willing to ship to Canada!! And retailers near me only carry the e2c large stem foams!
mad.gif
And Shure Canada is offering these at a ridiculous price...

Anyone willing to order one for me and help me out? I got non-cc paypal...

Feb 22, 2009 at 4:32 PM Post #4 of 345
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
None of these places are willing to ship to Canada!! And retailers near me only carry the e2c large stem foams!
mad.gif
And Shure Canada is offering these at a ridiculous price...

Anyone willing to order one for me and help me out? I got non-cc paypal...

Have you tried any other places, like the Shure website?

Feb 22, 2009 at 4:37 PM Post #6 of 345
Shure Canada offers these at nearly double the price if you count shipping. Not sure if I am willing to spend that much... these are just FOAMS, for god sakes.

And yeah, those ebay peeps say they can't ship to Canada because of "manufacturer's rules".

Feb 22, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #9 of 345
Yeah, that seller is US-only as well.

Ugh, what did Canada ever do to the Headphone world? When did Canada do harm to ANYBODY? lol. The prices and restrictions here really pisses me off sometimes.

Feb 22, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #12 of 345
Feb 22, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #13 of 345
your welcome

i still think its messed up that so many manufacturers impose these ridiculous rules especially on the accessories, i mean what they hell does it matter where ear tips are sold to its not like your actually going to make a warranty claim on them

btw any one else commenting on how the yellow foamys sound?

Feb 22, 2009 at 8:27 PM Post #14 of 345
They sound great! But to be honest.. the same trick, only done with the triflanges, sounds even better! It's really amazing how just a few milimeters can improve the sound by THAT much!

Feb 23, 2009 at 12:23 AM Post #15 of 345
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonthouse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They sound great! But to be honest.. the same trick, only done with the triflanges, sounds even better! It's really amazing how just a few milimeters can improve the sound by THAT much!

What exactly did you do to the triple flanges? If you mount them on the nozzle barb they will be really, really long. did you cut them down to bi-flanges?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back