Tutorial: How to micky-mouse a pair of Baby-Woody KSC
May 20, 2007 at 11:49 PM Post #16 of 32
Cool. How does it sound?
smily_headphones1.gif

May 21, 2007 at 12:17 AM Post #17 of 32
the sound has alot to do with the type of rings you use (what shape, how deep), what kind of wood, and what kind of sound absorbing material you put behind the drivers. Also the sound absorbing material requires a lot of experiment, can't tell you what is the best to use.
I'd like to say the Baby Woody sound is different, whether it is an improvement will depend on your tuning and personal taste. more info here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...=241283&page=2

these rings look nice, and the inner diameter seems to be about right:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Wood-Nap...QQcmdZViewItem

these might work too, not sure about the hole diameter though:
http://cgi.ebay.com/German-Wood-Egg-...QQcmdZViewItem

May 21, 2007 at 1:22 AM Post #18 of 32
I am definitely going to try this at some point. VERY cool.

May 21, 2007 at 1:52 AM Post #19 of 32
Awesome again!!! thanks for the inspiration. I have some extra UR40 drivers that have been waiting for a new home
biggrin.gif

You should give yourself more credit... nothing micky-mouse at all about this mod.
Garrett

May 21, 2007 at 3:37 AM Post #21 of 32
haha.... that's 1 creative mod... love it!! how heavy are they now though?

May 21, 2007 at 1:23 PM Post #24 of 32
Wow great work AudioCats!

I don't know why but I think of the ALL YOUR BASE when I read your name.

May 21, 2007 at 4:22 PM Post #26 of 32
Thanks guys.

The iGrado drivers have a diameter of 1.6", almost the same as this KSC55's 1.56", so in theory the iGrado can be woodied the same way. you might have to cut a round metal grill disc and glue the driver onto the metal grill, install the foam pad to cover the disc then press fit the driver into the wood ring. It will be more like a woody/grill combo-mod. Everything else will be the same as in this KSC mod.

update about the foam selection: so far the best configuration is to plug the hole with 1/2" high density foam, leaving about 3/4" space between the foam and the driver. It seems to be able to eliminate echo while still give good bass.

Joshatdot, "All your base r belong 2 us"?
blink.gif
Probably because of my bad grammar....
frown.gif
cool.gif
wink.gif

May 25, 2007 at 6:14 PM Post #27 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by D_4_Dog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
haha.... that's 1 creative mod... love it!! how heavy are they now though?

About the same as any light headphone with ear cups. The good thing about the TD60 headband is you can bend the steel piece and get the drivers to rest on the ear at a comfortable angle. The longest I have worn them is about 4 hours, pretty comfy.
rs1smile.gif

May 27, 2007 at 7:30 AM Post #30 of 32
Just got back from the Seattle meet, Great fun!!

Tried out the KSC55 woody(1/2" high density foam) with a few amps there, it was obvious that the woodies have GREAT synergy with the LISA (brought by Xtreme4099), sounds impressive especially when playing rocks.....
I actually prefered the woodies over the 555's when playing rocks, but that is just me
lambda.gif
Guess I have became a basshead after all
basshead.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back