[TUTORIAL] DIY balanced cable for HD 650
Jul 21, 2008 at 5:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Atchoum

Head-Fier
I first had issues building it but thanks to Germania and FallenAngel I finally managed to build a "cheap" balanced cable for my HD 650. So here is a quick tutorial/sum up :

[size=large]Material[/size]

You need :

- Neutrik's XLR connectors male or female depending on your source's output (like this : Neutrik - Audio - X Series - NC3FX )
- a standard HD650 replacement cable (see :Sennheiser HD650 Replacement Cable @ HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears)
- a soldering iron
- 10 minutes

[size=large]Step 1 : preparing the cable[/size]

- Cut off the end of the cable.
- You will find 4 cables : Green = Left+, Red = right+, copper cable sitting next to the green one = Left-, copper cable sitting next to the red one = Right-
- Put a small pool of solder on the tip of your iron and put each wire in that, it will burn off the epoxy insulation and tin the wires (thanks germania for this tip
wink.gif
)

[size=large]Step 2 : soldering the connectors[/size]

- solder green to left XLR connector pin 2, associated copper to left connector pin 3
- solder red connector to right XLR connector pin 2, associated copper to right connector pin 4

rgh1216716087m.jpg

[size=large]Step 3 : finishing [/size]

- Connect your new cable to your HD 650 (paying attention to Left / right) and voilà !

[size=large]Step 4 : enjoy
cool.gif
!!![/size]

Jul 21, 2008 at 6:17 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you sure that the copper cable you connected was the one for that driver and not the other?
tongue.gif

I tried to connect the copper cable first to the signal (did not work) and then to the inverted signal pin (did not work...)...
mad.gif
...Is that what you mean ?

Jul 21, 2008 at 6:39 PM Post #5 of 12
Red = Right, Green = left

The wire in those things needs to have the epoxy burned off or you will get nothing in the channels.

Put a small pool of solder on the tip of your iron and put the wire in that, it will burn off the epoxy and tin the wire for you. Try that and see what happens.

Jul 21, 2008 at 7:08 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Red = Right, Green = left

The wire in those things needs to have the epoxy burned off or you will get nothing in the channels.

Put a small pool of solder on the tip of your iron and put the wire in that, it will burn off the epoxy and tin the wire for you. Try that and see what happens.

I think you nail it... I'll try this
redface.gif

thanks

EDIT: it works !!!!!!!!!!!!! And it sounds pretty good! Cant wait to build my balanced JISBOS !
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 22, 2008 at 8:46 AM Post #8 of 12
Just changed the topic into a quick tutorial since I could not found a "complete" tutorial on the forum.

Dec 12, 2015 at 1:27 AM Post #9 of 12
I first had issues building it but thanks to Germania and FallenAngel I finally managed to build a "cheap" balanced cable for my HD 650. So here is a quick tutorial/sum up :

[size=large]Material[/size]

You need :

- Neutrik's XLR connectors male or female depending on your source's output (like this : Neutrik - Audio - X Series - NC3FX )
- a standard HD650 replacement cable (see :Sennheiser HD650 Replacement Cable @ HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears)
- a soldering iron
- 10 minutes

[size=large]Step 1 : preparing the cable[/size]

- Cut off the end of the cable.
- You will find 4 cables : Green = Left+, Red = right+, copper cable sitting next to the green one = Left-, copper cable sitting next to the red one = Right-
- Put a small pool of solder on the tip of your iron and put each wire in that, it will burn off the epoxy insulation and tin the wires (thanks germania for this tip
wink.gif
)

[size=large]Step 2 : soldering the connectors[/size]

- solder green to left XLR connector pin 2, associated copper to left connector pin 3
- solder red connector to right XLR connector pin 2, associated copper to right connector pin 4

rgh1216716087m.jpg

[size=large]Step 3 : finishing [/size]

- Connect your new cable to your HD 650 (paying attention to Left / right) and voilà !

[size=large]Step 4 : enjoy
cool.gif
!!![/size]

Wait, why are both the positive left and right channels being soldered to pin 2? What about pin 1?

Apr 1, 2017 at 6:38 PM Post #10 of 12
I looked up the 4-pin XLR pinout:

Pin 1 : Left plus (L+)
Pin 2 : Left minus (L-) 
Pin 3 : Right plus (R+)
Pin 4 : Right minus (R-)

https://robrobinette.com/images/Audio/HiFiMAN_Pin_Diagram.gif

I just built myself a cable for my HD650s, but my balanced amp isn't here yet to test it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back