Turtle Beach Z6 mods.
Jun 20, 2013 at 4:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Tripzter

New Head-Fier
Howdy folks, a while a go i bought a set of the z6 TB headphones.  Saw tons of comments that say they arent durable but i'm pretty handy so i went through and bought a pair.

Upon first use i saw the problems people were talking about.  I waited about a month in case i needed to return them but they have been pretty good.

So here came mod one.  The headphones are very tight out of the box.  After an hr of wearing them you just felt fatigued from the pressure these things put on ur head.  The headphones felt like a mythological torture device.  This is probably why all the amazon reviews are bad.  The extreme pressure causes them to fail where the cups are connected to the top part.

There is a metal band on top.  Easy mod.  Grab it and bend it so they arent tight any more.  2 things when you do this...  You do not want to bend the wire out in the middle since then that would put a lot of pressure right at the top of your head... uncomfortable.  You want to bend each side.  Grab the wire at the top, then feel with ur fingers where the plastic bump ends and twist outwards to bend the wire.  

Thats for both sides.
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb210/Triple88A/Electronics/EarForce%20Z6a/DSCF0001_zps550d30ea.jpg

The next mod was the short cable.  The headset control box is made to clip on to the pocket of a shirt... Lovely but not very convenient since you cannot attach the control box to the desk.  The wire from the headset to the controller is some silly 18" long. 

From memory theres 9 wires since the headset has 5.1 surround in it.  Yes 4 speakers per ear.  I extended mine 3 feet.

DSCF0006.jpg

I ended up using 29ft of 26 gauge wire.  The wire is a little thick but it works great.  The blue net tubing is 1/8th i believe.

Found the wires using my ohm meter since they were all the same color.

DSCF0003.jpg

Shrink tubing worked lovely.
DSCF0007.jpg

DSCF0008.jpg

At last a the headset is working lovely.  3 feet of extra tubing + the 18" of the original wire.
DSCF0010.jpg

Those are my mods so far.

For some reason the images i posted are not getting embeded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back