Turntable Wall Mount Tips for Thorens TD160
Apr 5, 2006 at 1:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

bobzemuda

New Head-Fier
Anybody have any tips on wall mounting my turntable?

After a year of not having a TT as the belt broke on the old one, and it really wasn't worth fixing, I found a Thorens TD 160 at a local vintage audio shop beautifully looked over and set up.

Anyway...I had to have it, even with my knowing about the isolation issues with this TT. It's a beauty for sure, but now I need to isolate it from the floor.

I know that Apollo makes a few rebuilt racks, but they seem quite pricey to me for what they are.

Any thoughts...what have some of you done?

Apr 6, 2006 at 1:08 AM Post #2 of 5
Are you a headphone listener? If so, wall mounting may not be necessary and you could probably get by with a sturdy, level shelf type situation... IME footfalls are not much of an issue if (A) you tread lightly and (B) the suspension is tuned reasonably well. Otherwise, wall mounting may be necessary (but I can't help, mine isn't wall mounted).

Apr 6, 2006 at 3:49 AM Post #3 of 5
I do both, so footfalls are a bit of an issue. One reason is that I have two dogs. So even if I'm seated, they might not be.

The screach as they run through the room while I play my Mastodon picture disk is enough to send me in vicious pursuit.

Apr 8, 2006 at 10:51 PM Post #4 of 5
Actually, there should be a lot less isolation issues with your subchassis table than with one of the comparatively light solid plinth models (Rega, Pro-Jekt...). Anyway, all you need is a nice, thick wooden board (I'd recommend some multiplex type - birch, for example) and two mounting angles, and that's it. I'd recommend to make it a bit wider and deeper than actually needed, so you can later on experiment with additional, possibly decoupled board layers (maybe a glass one or whatever...).

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Users who are viewing this thread

Back