Turntable to Balanced Amp
May 10, 2020 at 11:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

dotashope

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all, I'm looking to buy a turntable in the near future. And I have a balanced amp THX AAA 789 to hook it up with. My question is normally turntables have RCA outputs, how can I hook it up with my balanced amp. I know some phono preamps with XLR outputs, but I need more knowledge regarding RCA to XLR and such. Because digital rigs are much more straightforward in that regard. USB in and XLR out on a DAC. I need to learn how does it work with turntables. Thanks!

May 20, 2020 at 6:42 AM Post #2 of 9
What kind of turntable are you looking to buy? Most turntables, regardless of whether they come with a built in phono stage or not, do not come with a balanced output. The few turntables that do have a balanced output (e.g. Thorens TD1601) and phono preamps with balanced inputs and outputs (e.g. Pro-Ject Phono Box RS) are usually quite expensive (prob around 4-5k for that setup). It might be possible for you to rewire a turntable without a balanced out, from the cartridge and tonearm and terminate it in an XLR or DIN output, but that is beyond my knowledge.

May 20, 2020 at 7:59 AM Post #3 of 9
Hi all, I'm looking to buy a turntable in the near future. And I have a balanced amp THX AAA 789 to hook it up with. My question is normally turntables have RCA outputs, how can I hook it up with my balanced amp. I know some phono preamps with XLR outputs, but I need more knowledge regarding RCA to XLR and such. Because digital rigs are much more straightforward in that regard. USB in and XLR out on a DAC. I need to learn how does it work with turntables. Thanks!

You need to purchase a plain TT, ie, one that requires a phono preamp. Then you hook it up to a phono preamp with balanced output.

https://hifiheaven.net/shop/Clearaudio-balance-v2-Balanced-Phono-Preamp-Headphone-Amp-Black

May 20, 2020 at 2:29 PM Post #4 of 9
Ok since @ProtegeManiac is suggesting the high dollar gear I'll save you 1500 bucks by suggesting the Mytek Brooklyn DAC+

And you will get a DAC/AMP with MQA support as a bonus :wink:

May 20, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #5 of 9
What kind of turntable are you looking to buy? Most turntables, regardless of whether they come with a built in phono stage or not, do not come with a balanced output. The few turntables that do have a balanced output (e.g. Thorens TD1601) and phono preamps with balanced inputs and outputs (e.g. Pro-Ject Phono Box RS) are usually quite expensive (prob around 4-5k for that setup). It might be possible for you to rewire a turntable without a balanced out, from the cartridge and tonearm and terminate it in an XLR or DIN output, but that is beyond my knowledge.
I'm thinking about Rega Planers at the moment. I'm leaning towards either a phono preamp with balanced output that also does the signal conversion or get a conversion box separately. An all in one preamp seems to save some space and spare me the extra connections.

May 20, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #6 of 9
May 20, 2020 at 7:34 PM Post #7 of 9
I'm thinking about Rega Planers at the moment. I'm leaning towards either a phono preamp with balanced output that also does the signal conversion or get a conversion box separately. An all in one preamp seems to save some space and spare me the extra connections.

That would work, as long as you're okay that the run from the cartridge to the phono preamp will be an unbalanced signal. Planars are great. If you have the budget, opt for the Planar 3. You can adjust the anti-skate, it has a great tonearm, and also opens the potential for upgrades if you wish to do so in the future.

May 20, 2020 at 9:12 PM Post #8 of 9
Ok since @ProtegeManiac is suggesting the high dollar gear I'll save you 1500 bucks by suggesting the Mytek Brooklyn DAC+

And you will get a DAC/AMP with MQA support as a bonus :wink:
It is out of my budget tbh, I'm thinking about keeping the solution within 1000 since it's not a big problem. I'm more looking into dedicated equipment at the moment. Mytek is definitely very good and I've heard a lot of great things about them.

May 20, 2020 at 9:16 PM Post #9 of 9
That would work, as long as you're okay that the run from the cartridge to the phono preamp will be an unbalanced signal. Planars are great. If you have the budget, opt for the Planar 3. You can adjust the anti-skate, it has a great tonearm, and also opens the potential for upgrades if you wish to do so in the future.
I'm quite fine with that. As long as the signal feeding the amp is balanced then it should be good. I'm not separating the gears over the limit for SE signals to create trouble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back