turntable noise floor?
Dec 1, 2007 at 11:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Little J040

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I played some records today, at a fairly loud (compared to normal listening volume), and heard a lot of noise in between tracks... any idea if thats a tracking thing or could it be my cambridge audio preamp?

Dec 1, 2007 at 11:48 PM Post #2 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Little J040 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all,

I played some records today, at a fairly loud (compared to normal listening volume), and heard a lot of noise in between tracks... any idea if thats a tracking thing or could it be my cambridge audio preamp?

Is the noise still there when you take the stylus off the record? If it isn't then it's coming from the record.

Dec 1, 2007 at 11:56 PM Post #3 of 18
If it's a static-y noise: preamp or wiring

If it's a rumble-y noise: platter bearings

Clamp your mouth around the plinth and start the TT - you should feel no rumble thru your teeth if it is working properly.

Laz

Dec 2, 2007 at 12:00 AM Post #4 of 18
If your turntable is anywhere near your speakers, it could be acoustic feedback. That sort of thing is made worse by too light tracking weights.

See ya
Steve

Dec 2, 2007 at 12:04 AM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus Short /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Clamp your mouth around the plinth and start the TT - you should feel no rumble thru your teeth if it is working properly.

Laz

Well, I learned something new today!
smily_headphones1.gif
That is good advice.

I was going to suggest you clean your record and see if that helps. You don't need a machine, I like to use the kitchen sink sprayer on records. Then I pat them dry with a soft, clean old t-shirt. If the noise is coming from gunk on your record, that should help.

Dec 2, 2007 at 1:35 AM Post #6 of 18
Surface noise is inherent to the media, so do not expect a miracle, you will always have it, regardless of how good and critical your setup is, that is physics, the neddle frictions the walls of the grooves and while you play loud any LP you raise also that noise floor, I have not heard any single LP setup in whch I have not heard the surface noise yet...and LPs are one of the worst in background noise, specially in quiet passages or non music sections...Also it could be as bigshot said a feedback noise from the speakers....

Dec 2, 2007 at 3:09 AM Post #7 of 18
If you decide to bite your turntable, please post pictures.

See ya
Steve

Dec 2, 2007 at 7:23 AM Post #8 of 18
The OP must be at the dentist's
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

If the noise is there when you turn the amp up loud ( without playing a record ) it could be electrical. I have a problem from a dimmer switch near my system.

Dec 2, 2007 at 8:11 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the noise still there when you take the stylus off the record? If it isn't then it's coming from the record.

Depends what you mean by that. Low end turntables have imprecisely machined bearing shafts, and other mechanical issues (like noisy motors) that cause distortion once the needle hits the groove. Think about amplifying a tiny mechanically generated voltage signal by a factor of many thousands, you're also amplifying the artifacts surrounding that mechanical interaction. However, a higher end turntable is capable of very good SNR. For that matter the OP's issue could also be in his tonearm or stylus, or partly so. Or in the tonearm alignment.

Dec 2, 2007 at 10:58 PM Post #11 of 18
The typical noise floor of a TT is about -70 dB whereas when the CD came out it had a noise level of -95 dB range or there abouts. Now with the new music compression we get about 10 dB of dynamic range at best out of that 95 dB available from the CD. Now when people go back to their TTs after listening to CDs with only a 10 dB dynamic range or less they think there is something magic in the LP. Go figure...with a dynamic range of 70 dB compared with the present dynamic range of 10 dB it is no wonder people are flocking back to the LP.

What you can hear with the LP is that noise at -70 dB comparing it to the -95 dB of the CD between tracks which should be dead quiet. This is noticeable. The greater dynamic range of the LP compared to todays CD is even more noticeable.

I may not have all the facts fully developed but there is something to what I have said.

Dec 2, 2007 at 11:36 PM Post #12 of 18
thanks for all the replies guys... i moved my preamp away from the turntable as much as i could, as i figured there might be some emf or something that could have been affecting the cart pickup. i'm still going to be tweaking my tonearm, as i am still debating messing with the vta on it....

Dec 2, 2007 at 11:42 PM Post #13 of 18
it seems as though i do have some inherent noise from either my preamp or integrated amp, as with the cart off the record, i get quite audible noise when i put the volume to halfway on my reciever... Is this just a filtering problem in the amp itself, or would a line conditioner help at all....

A side note, my integrated amp is about 25 or so years old, so my guess is some of the filtering caps for the PS are crapping out...
frown.gif

Dec 19, 2007 at 12:12 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by fran /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some one please post a pic with their teeth around a TT.

no really, please....

This website really does cover the bizarre to the rediculous...and now to the downright dangerous. Next thing we will be told to suck on our live mains connectors.

Dec 21, 2007 at 10:57 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by ADD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This website really does cover the bizarre to the rediculous...and now to the downright dangerous. Next thing we will be told to suck on our live mains connectors.

No, no... you just touch your tongue to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back