Turntable --> Audioengine A2s. Is an amp needed?
Jun 28, 2009 at 7:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

KayoDot

100+ Head-Fier
I am investigating the vinyl market, and the information suggests that a typical vinyl set up looks something like turntable > preamp > headphone amp > headphones/speakers.

However, I am looking to buy an entry level turntable (either Rega P1 or Pro-ject Debut III) and a pair of Audioengine A2s. The specifications of these speakers detail that they have a built in amplifier.

My question is, will I still need a preamp and a headphone amp? Or will I just need a preamp?

Thanks.

Jun 28, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #2 of 16
The Rega needs a phono pre-amp. Unless the speakers have a phono stage you'll need one.

Power amplifier for the speakers is not the same as phono stage. I'd probably look into a stereo analogue pre-amp with built in phono stage & headphone amp, so all that in one unit plus control volume. Maybe something like Arcam Alpha 9c with phono board upgrade?

Jun 28, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #3 of 16
Thanks for the quick reply. What would be the advantage of having something like the Arcam Alpha 9c, over say just having a pre-amp with built in phono stage? I have seen people raving about the Cambridge Audio 640p. Considering I'm in the UK as well, it's not difficult for me to get ahold of the aforementioned brand.

Jun 28, 2009 at 8:51 PM Post #4 of 16
One less box, one less pair of RCA cables. But external stage could be higher quality with seperate PSU. If you buy a Cambridge Audio 640p you still need a headphone amplifier. And something to control volume and switch inputs. So I'd look for a stereo analogue pre-amplifier. As to whether built into the pre-amp, then you could either go seperate headphone amp from the record output (fixed) then use a spare line level input for the Cambridge Audio 640P, with pre-outs going into your active speakers.

Jun 28, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #5 of 16
I don't have an awful lot of money to spend, so would Rega P1 > 640P > Audioengine A2s be a temporary solution, until I can buy a headphone amp? The speakers have a volume control on. I'd rather have a speaker setup to start with, and then introduce the ability to listen on headphones later.

Jun 29, 2009 at 4:15 AM Post #6 of 16
How much do you want to spend?

1st skip the Rega p1 and pro-ject debut III
Get a music hall MMF 2.2. Higher quality platter than both the Rega and Pro-ject, better arm than the pro-ject, questionably better than the rega too.

2nd look for a b-stock denon PMA 2000ivr. B-stocks are certified by denon and can be had for 1/2 the price. They put out plenty of power, beautiful detailed sound and have a great phono section for MM and MC carts plus a good sounding headphone out. (i had one and loved it)

but again... how much do you want to spend?

Jun 29, 2009 at 8:12 AM Post #7 of 16
I don't want to spend more than £350 ($550) really. I looked at the Music Hall MMF 2.2, but it doesn't look like they are available in the UK. The Music Hall website definitely doesn't mention any UK distributors. If I was to order from overseas, firstly it would probably break in transit, and secondly I would get screwed over with import duties and taxes. I'll have a look for the Denon, thanks.

EDIT: I have looked at the Denon, although it does seem a bit out of my price range. The Marantz PM7200 does look quite nice, and seems to be within my price range if bought secondhand.

Does anyone have other recommendations? I don't really want to spend over £160 for the amplifier/phonostage. These integrated solutions seem to be a nice idea too.

Jun 30, 2009 at 12:22 PM Post #10 of 16
is there anything that converts the phonos rca out to rca line level voltage without having to get an amp? The audioengines are self powered so the amp would be a useless expenditure. Im interested in this too. Forgive the ignorance but is that what a phono stage does? sorry i havent touched vinyl since the 90s

Jun 30, 2009 at 1:05 PM Post #12 of 16
Does anyone have experience with the Pro-Ject Debut III Phono SB? I believe it's one of the newer offerings from Pro-Ject, but it's only available to the European market, so there is a paucity of reviews on it online. It seems to be like a Debut III, although with a built in speedbox and phono pre-amp.

If this was used, would a power amp be required to use it with the Audioengines?

Jun 30, 2009 at 1:09 PM Post #13 of 16
If the audioengines are active (internal poweramps) then you don't need anther poweramp. But since that project has built in phono stage, you just plug it into any standard active speaker, either low end stuff or higher end actives.

Jun 30, 2009 at 1:23 PM Post #14 of 16
If you are buying the AudioEngine powered speakers, it would seem redundant to buy an integrated amp or receiver just to get a phono stage. Not to mention the fact that you are likely to get a better unit if you buy a standalone vs something included in an integrated amp as a convenience feature.

Firms like MusicDirect offer some options for a standalone phono stage. This one is a Creek unit (haven't heard it) offered as a demo (in other words, used) for a pretty reasonable $179.

MusicDirect's entire list of phono stages is here. There's a (new) Music Hall unit for around $150, and a Pro-Ject for around the same price.

Please note that I am not recommending MusicDirect in particular; there are lots of other vendors out there. But they do stock a variety of phono stages at a wide range of prices; this might be a good place to look around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back