Turning flat bass response into tight and punchy with EQ
Jan 25, 2022 at 7:24 AM Post #16 of 25
As I said before… How speakers are tested is irrelevant to how we actually listen to speakers.

Feb 3, 2022 at 8:38 AM Post #17 of 25
Hey there! As a bass music lover, I'm struggling with turning the flat bass response of my LCD-2 Classic into tight and punchy. But my question I guess would apply to any headphones.
I started with oratory1990's, then mixed in AutoEQ. As a result, I got something I like in the mids and highs regions but not the lows.
Yes, I have much stronger and bigger lows, but they're still a bit flat and bummy. I need more presence of the lows, not the overwhelming bummy sound. Sometimes IEMs produce such sound, but they don't have the benefits of full-size planar magnetic headphones. I believe this is possible to achieve with an EQ.
Almost every EQ preset has a very straightforward manipulation with the lows: low-shelf and add some peaks around 100hz.

I wonder if one of the options is attainable after all:
1. Follow good EQ preset examples to adjust the lows. (Couldn't find any)
2. Send headphones to an engineer in order to create an EQ preset. (Is kind of people even exist?)

PS I've talked with some engineers already who told me that flat bass response is a much better option compared to colored headphones because with flat response any result is achievable.

BTW, I've recently found a manual. Not sure if it's legit.
Need more guides like this :relieved:

Another stance is to possibly look at other headphones as a way to achieve your goals. All I’m saying is over the years I found headphones to have their own unique bass response which comes naturally to them. I don’t want to get into a debate at all about to EQ or not to EQ. I do EQ at times.

But my point is, some believe there is a unique sound profile to each and every headphone that is it’s intrinsic personality. Thus you can’t always put lipstick on a pig and end up with something beautiful.

Ultimately finding that bass profile is part of the journey at Head-Fi. It’s truly amazing how many different sound characteristics there are of the headphones of the world.

The other half of the equation comes from the complete up-stream equipment. Thus normally amps have a damping factor which will also be an area of discovery if your searching for styles of bass texture!

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2022 at 9:02 AM Post #18 of 25
Meanwhile, my new EQ settings are showing much better results. All the dulling is gone. Bass became stronger and more focused.
Anyway, I need to dive deeper. I found some bass compressors. Looks like I have to investigate how to implement the same effect with an EQ.

Attachments

• 1643896952737.png
    1643896952737.png
    645 KB · Views: 0
Feb 3, 2022 at 9:05 AM Post #19 of 25
EQ works wonders. My advice is to make small corrections one at a time and chip away at it until you’re happy.

Feb 5, 2022 at 8:21 AM Post #20 of 25
All I’m saying is over the years I found headphones to have their own unique bass response which comes naturally to them.
Firstly, it doesn’t “come naturally to them”, they’re designed/engineered that way.

Secondly, sure there certainly are significantly different bass responses with different HPs but there are also quite a few that are very similar.

We also have to be careful that we’re actually ascribing different bass responses to the HPs themselves. For example, different positioning/fit of the HPs or IEMs can cause far more significant differences in bass response, even with the same HPs/IEMs and same listener, than any bass response differences between different HPs.

The other half of the equation comes from the complete up-stream equipment.
Assuming you’re talking about the audio reproduction up-stream equipment, then No, it’s not! Assuming any half decent DAC and the correct amp for the HPs, it’s not even a tiny fraction of the equation, let alone half!

Thus normally amps have a damping factor which will also be an area of discovery if your searching for styles of bass texture!

That’s very poor advice. Firstly, even large differences in damping factor may have little or no audible effect on bass response, depending on the design of the HPs. Secondly, even if it does have an audible effect on bass response, the effect isn’t always limited only to the bass.

Anyway, I need to dive deeper. I found some bass compressors.

Careful with that. Depending on the genre/s of music you listen to, the bass may already have been heavily compressed on the recording. Adding even more bass compression in such cases will increase the distortion. You’re better off with EQ, providing of course you’re not boosting so much that you push your HPs into distortion.

G

Feb 5, 2022 at 8:25 AM Post #21 of 25
Firstly, it doesn’t “come naturally to them”, they’re designed/engineered that way.

Secondly, sure there certainly are significantly different bass responses with different HPs but there are also quite a few that are very similar.

We also have to be careful that we’re actually ascribing different bass responses to the HPs themselves. For example, different positioning/fit of the HPs or IEMs can cause far more significant differences in bass response, even with the same HPs/IEMs and same listener, than any bass response differences between different HPs.

Assuming you’re talking about the audio reproduction up-stream equipment, then No, it’s not! Assuming any half decent DAC and the correct amp for the HPs, it’s not even a tiny fraction of the equation, let alone half!

That’s very poor advice. Firstly, even large differences in damping factor may have little or no audible effect on bass response, depending on the design of the HPs. Secondly, even if it does have an audible effect on bass response, the effect isn’t always limited only to the bass.

Careful with that. Depending on the genre/s of music you listen to, the bass may already have been heavily compressed on the recording. Adding even more bass compression in such cases will increase the distortion. You’re better off with EQ, providing of course you’re not boosting so much that you push your HPs into distortion.

G
No comment.

Feb 15, 2022 at 7:41 AM Post #22 of 25
Hey there! As a bass music lover, I'm struggling with turning the flat bass response of my LCD-2 Classic into tight and punchy. But my question I guess would apply to any headphones.
I started with oratory1990's, then mixed in AutoEQ. As a result, I got something I like in the mids and highs regions but not the lows.
Yes, I have much stronger and bigger lows, but they're still a bit flat and bummy. I need more presence of the lows, not the overwhelming bummy sound. Sometimes IEMs produce such sound, but they don't have the benefits of full-size planar magnetic headphones. I believe this is possible to achieve with an EQ.
Almost every EQ preset has a very straightforward manipulation with the lows: low-shelf and add some peaks around 100hz.
1642611694965.png

I wonder if one of the options is attainable after all:
1. Follow good EQ preset examples to adjust the lows. (Couldn't find any)
2. Send headphones to an engineer in order to create an EQ preset. (Is kind of people even exist?)

PS I've talked with some engineers already who told me that flat bass response is a much better option compared to colored headphones because with flat response any result is achievable.

So you are using a DAW?

Feb 15, 2022 at 10:26 AM Post #25 of 25
I just checked foobar2000. It looks like it supports the vst.

Thanks a lot🙏🙌

Users who are viewing this thread

Back