Turn table Preamp
Nov 5, 2007 at 2:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Little J040

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I just posted this similarly in the DIY section, but im looking for a Preamp, with both MM and MC capabilities. Im considering building my own, or buying looking to spend 100-200$ let me know if you have any input
icon10.gif

Nov 5, 2007 at 10:50 PM Post #3 of 8
I had been using a Graham Amp 3 Fanfare along with the Graham Slee PSU1 power supply and was fairly happy with it.I later put together a Hagerman Bugle with an LM4562 opamp in the U3 socket configured for the standard 40db gain to be used as a MM phono stage.I was so impressed with the Bugle that I wanted to somehow compare it with the MC only Graham Fanfare amp.I then ordered a pair of Cinemag CMQEE-344OA transformers and wired them in a plastic box with some female RCA jacks.The Bugle and Cinemags performed so well that they knocked the Graham Fanfare out of my system which was a major shock to me.It wasn't even a very close call.From my point of view,any one who buys one of the standard recommended $500 phono stages without considering the $75 Bugle is making a major mistake.

Nov 6, 2007 at 12:40 AM Post #4 of 8
Im strongly considering the Cambridge, however I am uncertain if it is worth the upgrade, as I will still be using the aux or cd input of my older Kenwood amplifier as the main amp.... Will a bad pre-amp section on this amp give it noticeably more problems than that of the full amplification schematic?

Nov 6, 2007 at 11:24 PM Post #5 of 8
any oppinions on this?

Nov 7, 2007 at 1:58 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Little J040 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
any oppinions on this?

If you are unwilling to build yourself, the MM/MC Cambridge Audio 640P phono stage is a good option.The DIY Hagerman Bugle though less expensive should be a fairly large upgrade over the Cambridge Audio phono stage.The standard configuration is a 40db gain MM only that operates on (2) 9 volt batteries.It can be configured for a higher gain and different load for MC cartridges but tends to sound a bit more grainy and eat batteries faster at the 60db gain.Mine is built at the standard configuration but with the better LM4562 OPAMP in the U3 socket.I am using a pair of Cinemag step-up transformers so that I have enough gain for an Audio Technica AT-OC9ML/II moving coil cartridge.More upgrades exist.Some use Blackgate or Auricap capacitors.Some use Cardas or Vampire female surface mount RCA jacks.Some build the 15V power supply or use 12V SLA batteries.I have 2 AA 10-cell battery holders on order and who knows what this will do?The Bugle should serve you or any one well until you buy your first $2000 tonearm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back