Tube vs Solid, Seperate DAC or combo
Sep 7, 2009 at 4:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

slbowing

New Head-Fier
So I have a pair of Ultrasone Pro 750. I now need to power them. I have a few issues first. I will be using my Laptop as my primary source for now but will be getting another source at some time. I have gotten a bunch of suggestions and it seems that even though a bunch of people like the Compass, the general consensus is to get a separate DAC and amp. Now that leads to to the topic of amps. Tubes or no tubes? If I were to get tubes I would either get a LD MK or a Darkvoice (pros and cons of either?). The nice thing about tubes is that they are upgradable but they are also those out there who would rather use a solid unit.

As for DACs I have heard good things about iBasso D10's but what are some other options out there such as a standalone DAC. My total budget is under $400 so what are gonna be some pairing options out there or should I just break down and purchase a Compass??? There is a lot to mull over but your input is greatly appreciated! I am willing to buy used from say the FS forum or ebay so that may expand my options even more.

Sep 7, 2009 at 4:10 AM Post #2 of 10
I just bought the AWESOME Millet Hybrid amp. So it's a SS and tube amp combo. And I'm using it with my iBasso D10 as a DAC, and my D2000s. It's an awesome combination and I'm extremely happy with my setup. I've listened to my D2000s with the Dark Voice 337 and the combination was beautiful.

Buying used will definitely save you some money on an already expensive hobby
smily_headphones1.gif

Be prepared to spend a lot of time researching on this site. Ask lots of questions. Oh, and sorry about your wallet!

Sep 7, 2009 at 4:54 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by punkaroo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just bought the AWESOME Millet Hybrid amp. So it's a SS and tube amp combo. And I'm using it with my iBasso D10 as a DAC, and my D2000s. It's an awesome combination and I'm extremely happy with my setup. I've listened to my D2000s with the Dark Voice 337 and the combination was beautiful.

Buying used will definitely save you some money on an already expensive hobby
smily_headphones1.gif

Be prepared to spend a lot of time researching on this site. Ask lots of questions. Oh, and sorry about your wallet!

Did you make you Millet or buy it already assembled?

One other thing, my brother is an electrical engineer so building should not be too hard especially since he has a bunch of equipment including an oscilloscope

Sep 7, 2009 at 3:11 PM Post #5 of 10
I bought mine used from a fellow head-fier.

Quote:

Originally Posted by slbowing /img/forum/go_quote.gif

One other thing, my brother is an electrical engineer so building should not be too hard especially since he has a bunch of equipment including an oscilloscope

Sep 8, 2009 at 5:00 AM Post #6 of 10
ughh i dont know about a tube amplifier.... I can only foresee a drunken roommate breaking it or something. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Sep 8, 2009 at 5:14 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by slbowing /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If your brother can build an amp, your options dramatically increase. You begin to have much better options, as well.

With commercial amps, the rule of thumb is that the parts are roughly 25% of the retail cost. If you were to build your own, you could put the entire $300 towards the best possible parts. It's not quite enough to get you into the high end (transformers get pricey) but you can build a Bijou, L'espressivo, or a number of the amps listed at Headwize. Any of those would be far superior to a commercial amp for the same price.

Sep 8, 2009 at 5:36 AM Post #8 of 10
There are also quite a few DIY DACs, such as the ones from Twisted Pair Audio if you're going the DIY route. I thought the Compass was a better match with low-impedance headphones and a reasonable DAC for a better HP amp, but again it wont be as good value as DIY.

Sep 8, 2009 at 5:11 PM Post #9 of 10
Yes the DIY route opens up a lot of new possibilities. It is a major plus that my brother is getting his masters right now in analog signaling and had made amplifiers in the lab before
beyersmile.png

I thought I had a lot of options before but this opens up a whole new realm. The only problem is that I will now go longer without a rig to power my 750's
confused_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back