tube swapping on the X-CAN v2
Sep 20, 2002 at 8:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

peter braun

500+ Head-Fier
What are the best reasonably priced tubes I can use to upgrade my X-CAN v2 ? Where can I purchase them ?

Sep 20, 2002 at 9:50 PM Post #2 of 7
www.triodeelectronics.com has the JJ/Tesla 6922 (E88CC). That's probably the best current tube. My favorite tube of the 6922's vacillates between Amperex and Mullard, neither of which is reasonably priced. Older Siemens are good (but newer Siemens could be East German...not as good. A number of people like the Telefunkens as well (but I've never heard them). Very few of the older 6922's are reasonably priced, although the JAN Sylvania is fairly common (and cheap), and an improvement over the JAN Phillips 6922 that comes with the X-Can.

Sep 21, 2002 at 2:49 AM Post #3 of 7
I've swapped out the stock tubes with the JJ/Teslas, and I'm very happy with the results.

smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Very Good...four cans on a five can scale!!

biggrin.gif

Sep 21, 2002 at 11:19 PM Post #5 of 7
That was an early project. It demonstrates how easy it is to replace the tubes yourself. I didn't try many different tubes in the X-Cans, but of the ones I did, the JJ was best overall. Cheap, too.

I'm not sure putting a pair of $100 Mullards into a $150 amplifier is worth it... unless you plan to take the X-Cans to the limit with future modifications (like swapping out the opamps).

www.headwize.com has a killer thread about X-Cans modifications. Search and ye shall find.

Sep 22, 2002 at 3:05 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by Nick Dangerous
I'm not sure putting a pair of $100 Mullards into a $150 amplifier is worth it...

It is.
wink.gif

Sep 22, 2002 at 12:33 PM Post #7 of 7
Speaking of mods that "take the X-Cans to the limit", has anybody ever heard of anyone switching out that cheezy pot that this thing has?

I love my X-Cans, but couldn't MF have spent a few more dollars and got something a BIT better?

smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Not so good...two cans on a five can scale.

mad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back