Tube storage?
Sep 6, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #16 of 23
  I switch tubes now and then on my headphone amp.
To prevent that the lettering of the tubes will be rubbed off by taking my tube collection in and out of the carton boxes, I want to make a storage system where this does not happen.
I was thinking of drilling holes in a wooden beam in which I mount tube sockets. The beam will be placed in a wooden box to keep out the sunlight, dust, etc.

Does anyone have tips or good ideas on how you can best store your tubes and keep them in good condition? (next to the solutions already discussed)

I have over 400 preamp, power and rectifier tubes.

What works for me is the tube boxes (in white) which can be bought from Ebay.
E.g. Ebay
Item number: 260983581327
Item number:260727842393

To prevent the fragile tube letterings ("silkscreen") from being rubbed away, I wrap my tubes with a sheet of paper before they are stored in the white box.

The required description e.g. tube name, mfg code , date code, etc.... is written on the outside of the tube box.
I also tie the boxes of matched tube boxes together with rubber bands so that I know instantly that they are matched pairs or quads.

Jan 25, 2014 at 4:18 PM Post #17 of 23
Reviving an old thread here. The Tube Cube was kinda neat. The Pelican case line with "Pick 'n' Pluck" is a good idea as well. Anyone come up with any others?

Jan 27, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #18 of 23
  Reviving an old thread here. The Tube Cube was kinda neat. The Pelican case line with "Pick 'n' Pluck" is a good idea as well. Anyone come up with any others?

Anything?

Jan 27, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #20 of 23
Jan 28, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #21 of 23
Should be stored upright.

Jun 25, 2023 at 10:51 AM Post #23 of 23
I know I'm reviving a very dead old thread here. This is being posted for the folks who, like me, didn't find any adequate responses while looking for tube storage containers. A friend recommended that warhammer figurine cases might work. So I measured out the types of tubes Ill be primarily using and found this. They have a lot of options on amazon, so just look for what suits your tube type. I also decided to wrap them in tissue paper to preserve the silk-screening when removing and returning tubes. I chose gold cuz all the paper cost the same, so.... gold. Works beautifully. Hope this helps someone
IMG_20230625_094600_826.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back