tube source, tube amp
Dec 1, 2002 at 6:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

kelly

Herr Babelfish der Übersetzer, he wore a whipped-cream-covered tutu for this title.
Several of you guys warned me that pairing a tube source with a tube amp is a bad idea. Nick said that'd be "too much tubey goodness" and I believe it was Tweertinelle arguing agaisnt it from the pro audio "tubes are used to add coloration" point of view.

I sit here now listening to a modded CD player with tube output stage, the RKV II with Impedancer set to 32ohm and the Grado HP-1.

...and this is bad, huh?
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 1, 2002 at 7:12 PM Post #2 of 20
Well, it's a good rule of thumb, but it makes some assumptions. Like, the tube amp and tube cdp both have that traditional tubey sound. And that the average person likes a balanced sound. I guess that RKV of yours has the traditional tubey sound, but I'm also guessing that modded Sony doesn't. Or maybe you're just enjoying the ultra-rich sound for awhile. Please correct me if either of those guesses are mistaken.

Dec 1, 2002 at 8:13 PM Post #4 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by dhwilkin
Well, it's a good rule of thumb, but it makes some assumptions. Like, the tube amp and tube cdp both have that traditional tubey sound. And that the average person likes a balanced sound. I guess that RKV of yours has the traditional tubey sound, but I'm also guessing that modded Sony doesn't. Or maybe you're just enjoying the ultra-rich sound for awhile. Please correct me if either of those guesses are mistaken.

I agree about the assumptions, but I'd guess that most comtemporary tube gear do not fit with the "traditional tube sound".

As far as the rule of thumb--I don't agree. Too many different systems and tastes out there. Only one way to find out.

Dec 1, 2002 at 8:18 PM Post #5 of 20
Whadoyamean? I've been as happy as can be for the last three months listening to an Ah! Super 4000 with upsampler (tube analog stage) through an RKV MkII and smurfed HD600s. I guess nobody could listen to headphones and music at all before there was solid state . . .

Dec 1, 2002 at 8:52 PM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by pigmode
Only one way to find out.

Fear not, my man. Soon you'll savor the vintage tube sound...and I mean the late "50's- early 60's tube sound without the noise and funk of tube amps from that period.

I grew up with this stuff...

very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 1, 2002 at 9:32 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by Old Pa
Whadoyamean? I've been as happy as can be for the last three months listening to an Ah! Super 4000 with upsampler (tube analog stage) through an RKV MkII and smurfed HD600s. I guess nobody could listen to headphones and music at all before there was solid state . . .

The AH! has a somewhat forward and not overly tubey sound, and the tubes are not used for output, but as buffers.

Rick,
Got Telefunkens already, and some Holland Bugle Boys on the way.
smily_headphones1.gif

Kelly,
You might achieve fame and fortune if you could directly compare the stock to modded XA777.

I'm not particularly after a tubed digital source, but noticed that ModWright has just come out with a "truth" type tube mod for the SACD 1000. I recall that he is not after the "traditional tube sound", but was more concerned with maximizing the design by selective parts replacement, as well as eliminating digital glare and moving towards an analog-like sound. He also puts great focus upon PSs.

Dec 1, 2002 at 10:02 PM Post #8 of 20
Hmmm...My Ariston RD11s now runs through a Cary LPP-1 phono amp into the MicroZOTL. If this is bad, I guess I'll just have to suffer
tongue.gif

Dec 1, 2002 at 11:54 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by dhwilkin
I guess that RKV of yours has the traditional tubey sound, but I'm also guessing that modded Sony doesn't.

i have not heard kelly's modded sony, but the rkv is NOT a "tubey" amp in sound, only in looks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 3, 2002 at 9:30 PM Post #12 of 20
I think it would be wrong to call the RKV completely neutral or transparent. Obviously the amp does have its own signature but its signature isn't a strong one and it's certainly not the murky syrupy flavor that a lot of you guys associate with tube equipment. (Ie: components designed to sound "tubey.")

The RKV is clean enough to give you largely whatever you put behind it. If the source is harsh, the RKV is capable of being harsh. If the source is smooth, the RKV is smooth.

I would also say that the tube output stage on my CD player is not designed to sound "tubey." I don't know how the Tjoeb Noeb sounds and whether other tube output stages have a certain sound signature in mind so maybe the bias has credibility. I only wanted to respond with a "toldyaso" to those who thought it was a really bad idea in general.

It's probably not a permanent pairing, anyway, though. If I ever manage to get a source in my bedroom, the RKV strikes me as the kind of amp I'd like to have back there. A little rolled off on top, huge soundstage, a little bit soft - very relaxing. I'm sure whatever source I end up with in my bedroom will not be of the same calibre as my main system and the RKV won't sound quite as good as it does there, but I think in general something a little more pristine and precise might be more appreciated for the system in which more critical listening is done. The Prehead is probably a better fit there, for now. But right now, until I can afford to pick up a bargain DVD player or something for the bedroom, I'll have the option of both in the main system. Overkill in the extreme.

(Sorry if this came across as bragging - just telling you guys what my thoughts are on it all.)

Dec 3, 2002 at 9:45 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
Nick said that'd be "too much tubey goodness"

Obviously Nick has never heard of this wonderful peice of audio equipment. A turn of the dial and you can get just the right amount of tubeiness.

Dec 4, 2002 at 5:04 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by CaptBubba
A turn of the dial and you can get just the right amount of tubeiness.

Heh
wink.gif
Actually, if you run analog into an ART DI/O, hook the digital I/O's to each other, and run analog out again, you can dial in "tubiness" that way. For real.

Dec 4, 2002 at 8:00 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by CaptBubba
Obviously Nick has never heard of this wonderful peice of audio equipment. A turn of the dial and you can get just the right amount of tubeiness.

Not to mention being able to dial in just that right amount of soundstage and resolution!!! Those might come in handy also!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back