Tube rolling
Feb 7, 2013 at 8:04 PM Post #46 of 231
Quote:
Another good one... Have another carrot.

Thank you, Elmer. Have this cake I baked for you  - gosh, isn't that fuze - I mean candle - burning fast!

Lots of people think that beats are good headphones. Lots of people think that the Camry is a good car.
Personally, I drive a 911 (Model 997) and having experienced true quality can assure you that the Camry is junk for the money. So are the Beats.

No one cares what car you drive. (Personally I hate 911s because they're fundamentally poorly balanced. Plus the seats are designed for girly men with no shoulder muscles but fat bellies - no offense.) And the point, again, is that popular opinion is rarely good guide, which is why it was silly of you to appeal to it

Feb 7, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #48 of 231
OP: for $200 the Sunrise 2 is a great amp - and hell of a good time to build. You can get them pre-built if you prefer, but I think 3/4 of the fun is listening to something that you built.

I have 2 tubes for mine, it's fun to roll tubes, but I haven't run any tests to see what difference it really makes.

Good luck and enjoy - that's the real goal of this hobby. Don't let the BS in this thread steer you away from something that you like.

Feb 11, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #50 of 231
Personally, I drive a 911 (Model 997) and having experienced true quality can assure you that the Camry is junk for the money.

But then again is it true quality? As far as penile extensions go, I'd say there are some that are more fuel-efficient and lffer more bang for the buck.

Feb 12, 2013 at 3:48 AM Post #51 of 231
Quote:
But then again is it true quality? As far as penile extensions go, I'd say there are some that are more fuel-efficient and lffer more bang for the buck.

For instance:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/4947125/Penis-contraption-extends-manhood-by-a-third.html

[size=1.4em] A total of 21 "highly motivated" patients with an average age of 47 were recruited for the study, which involved using the extension device every day for six months.

[/size]
[size=1.4em] Five patients failed to complete the course for different reasons, including "pain and penile bruising".

[/size]
[size=1.4em] The men started out with an average flaccid penis length of 2.82 inches, which increased to 3.72 inches a year later. 

[/size]

Beat that, Porsche!

Mar 21, 2013 at 8:39 AM Post #53 of 231
Quote:

You reach the pointless-as-magic-cables level when you buy a tube amp. After that you're into "I'm concerned that my voodoo practioner may not be following FDA guidelines" territory.

That's not to say that you shouldn't practice voodoo - or tubedoo. But you've already gone outside scientific criteria when you do. (Basically, the spiel for tube amps is supposed to be that the distortions they produce make music sound better... To which to the scientific reply is "That's not what blind test's show" and the common sense one is "I want to hear what the musician played.")

Evidence eg

http://tom-morrow-land.com/tests/ampchall/index.htm

I don't have an opinion on tube rolling in any direction, but the 'evidence' you posted is nowhere close to being empirical or reliable. For one, the link you posted is the only site where the 'test' appears on, and everybody else simply links to it. Also, there is no test data, nor any results, nor anything that allows one to draw their own conclusions based on the data. It simply goes from "here's the setup" to "here's the conclusion". The page even states that, "He doesn't keep detailed logs of the responses because he said they always show random responses".

As far as I'm concerned, this is essentially the same as hearsay. It's well-written hearsay, but it's exactly the same as if I said "I ran a test with one million participants in a tightly controlled environment using ABX testing to test two different tubes using the same equipment, and my results show that over 90% of the participants could hear a difference between the two tubes and accurately identify which one is which." How is my statement any less valid than what is written in that article? Because the article was better-written? Unfortunately, a well-written article does not constitute as proper evidence.

Mar 21, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #54 of 231
This "boils down to -Subjectivism V-science. Valves/Tubes especially the older ones have a higher inter-electrode  capacitance this is not necessarily a "bad" thing as it could "soften" the actual reproduced sound and make it more  acceptable to the ear.
Just saying if its not right in science then you are all wrong!-even if it really does sound better. isnt the right way to go and would put off some people from bettering their systems.
Yes in Hi-Fi PAs into loudspeakers in blind tests it is hard to tell the difference.BUT-this is Head-Fi we are talking about. On any amp I built for headphone listening I had NO problem telling the difference in components fitted.
There again I follow the line of minimalism- no music signal running miles round tone controls-function switches/etc etc
I think if allowed I will in a post present an argument that puts the case of capacitor sound in a good light.Proven BOTH ways- Subjectivism/science.
How do we ALL listen??

Sep 16, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #55 of 231
Guys the Tube amps look very cool and i have a very a important question for me and will appreciate if you can guide me ^^,

so far i've been into amps and opamp rolling which got many nice options like opa627 , ad8610 and LM4562 and some were smooth and laid back, others were dynamic and with crispy nice highs ,

so any way if i were about to get a tube amp and find a tube that sound like an opamp that i like such as LM4562 or OPA627 then what will i gain or lose? all will be the same? i wana know if it is worth moving from opamps to tube rolling amps,

btw i use TH600 so lets stay with low gain tube amps such as Lyr :p  

Sep 16, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #56 of 231
Lol, welcome to headfi. The question....'what will I gain or lose', is a loaded one. You'll gain the frustration of wanting to hear another vintage tube...spending $120 on it, and then not liking the way it sounds. Then you buy another for a little less $ and think it sounds great. Then a friend suggests listening to the latest fad in old soviet tubes (the soviets made quality tubes ya know)....and you get a bunch of those. Before you know it, you have spent 2K on tubes and you still have an inexpensive amp whose sound changes drastically depending on the tube. Is it fun....some think so. You gain a bunch of tubes, and you lose the contents of your wallet. .....this coming from a tube guy. Some days I think I'd be better off getting a pair of Magni and using them as mini mono blocks. :).

If you're using $900 headphones, I'd suggest at least matching with a nice amp like the violectric v200.

Guys the Tube amps look very cool.......
so any way if i were about to get a tube amp and find a tube that sound like an opamp that i like such as LM4562 or OPA627 then what will i gain or lose? all will be the same? i wana know if it is worth moving from opamps to tube rolling amps,

Sep 16, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #57 of 231
ops double post :p 

Sep 29, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #58 of 231
what is the best tube amp that have a really nice sparkle with the treble, the tubes are with warm sig right? for me i like the opa627(warm + sparkiling treble) so what is the most similer tube to it?
it is for my Fostex TH600(32 ohms).

Jan 1, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #60 of 231
Hey guys. I have a Aune T1 with a 6922 tube. I am pairing with AKG Q701 headphones. I want to pick up a really warm tube, I think that will pair well with the headphones and I prefer a warm sound over harsh or "crisp" treble. What kind of tube would you guys suggest, the socket is the 6 pin circle (the socket name escapes me). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back