Tube rolling thread | UltraSonic Studios
Sep 7, 2021 at 11:40 AM Post #1,216 of 3,618
New experiment with border line pentode as input (bias -18V) i got some Visseaux 6U7G in a lot of EL32. This tube used as input with 6p7s give very clean sound even if it is not very powerful.. Nice listening with Madi Diaz "Do it Now" :thumbsup: song (last track of "History of a feeling" Album)
--- With Eternity all sound great !
--- Thx Thomas..

6p7s-6u7g_et.jpg
cover.png.jpg

Sep 8, 2021 at 10:14 PM Post #1,217 of 3,618
New experiment with border line pentode as input (bias -18V) i got some Visseaux 6U7G in a lot of EL32. This tube used as input with 6p7s give very clean sound even if it is not very powerful.. Nice listening with Madi Diaz "Do it Now" :thumbsup: song (last track of "History of a feeling" Album)
--- With Eternity all sound great !
--- Thx Thomas..

6p7s-6u7g_et.jpgcover.png.jpg
I have tried a bunch of different 6U7G (US and Australian made) in the Glenn OTL with an EL32 adapter. Can be found very inexpensive.
I have persistent problems with hum to the point that most of them are unlistenable, but overlooking the hum the sound is very nice with great mid bass.
When you look at old radios using this tube you often see a full metal shield around the tube. You can see such shields in the middle of this picture - the shield comes in two halves:
1631153605661.png

I don't have such shields, but tried aluminum foil and a Faraday cage but could not eliminate the hum enough to make these nice sounding tubes usable.
Any suggetions?

Sep 9, 2021 at 2:39 AM Post #1,218 of 3,618
I don't have such shields, but tried aluminum foil and a Faraday cage but could not eliminate the hum enough to make these nice sounding tubes usable.
Any suggetions?
Hi Mordy, the Visseaux 6U7G I use in Eternity are very silent even with HD650mod. Eternity is very silent with most tubes :) more than Elise.

What I was doing in Euforia was to add a faraday cage made with a small metal soup can with ground wire/contact. But usually this is well working for RFI noise but not with heating hum. I also added magnet cylinder on the cap wire near the base (the one you can clip are a bit too big but good for a try).

Some tube have hum due to glass vibration propagated from the filament, the only way I found was to add some ring on the glass. (You can get inexpensive Teflon ring/seal working as good as the one sold for vacuum tube. I know you like inexpensive stuff to have more to try just like me :wink:. I measure tube diameter and remove 10 to 15% to find internal ring diameter and choose 4 or 5 mm thick seal ).

Sep 10, 2021 at 3:08 AM Post #1,219 of 3,618
I took a break of almost 1 month from Eternity. I travelled a lot and forgot about electronics, audio and, most important, work. Now after all this time I came back and just started Eternity with the tubes I left one month ago on it and the Beyerdynamic T1.2 freshly refurbished before I left. It sounds incredible, more towards neutral side than I was remembering. Maybe the new pads? Maybe my brain? Maybe just a long break makes you settle your mind? I will never know, for sure the new pads are a little bit different in the first hours until they get used with my head, but it is not only that.

T1.jpg

Currently listening to the new Portrait album, a true masterpiece.

I missed music. I missed Eternity. But I also attended a fest and saw some very good bands, some of them unknown to me, so it was a time of discovery.

Sep 10, 2021 at 6:07 AM Post #1,220 of 3,618
And the EL34 which does not look like EL34: the Sophia Electric EL34!

SophiaEL34.jpg

Now we need a blue chasis and some blue inputs for it. Looks nice and sounds good, towards neutral like the Telefunkens, with extended highs and very detailed. The EL34 which does not look or sound like EL34, but still sounds good. Damn I love that blue.

Sep 10, 2021 at 6:42 AM Post #1,221 of 3,618
And the EL34 which does not look like EL34: the Sophia Electric EL34!

SophiaEL34.jpg

Now we need a blue chasis and some blue inputs for it. Looks nice and sounds good, towards neutral like the Telefunkens, with extended highs and very detailed. The EL34 which does not look or sound like EL34, but still sounds good. Damn I love that blue.
It's nice to hear you still enjoying Eternity! :)

Sep 10, 2021 at 6:14 PM Post #1,222 of 3,618
It's nice to hear you still enjoying Eternity! :)
Of course I am enjoying it. I think Eternity has a great potential.

This evening I investigated a little bit the glow of the Sophia Electric EL34 and I was a little bit disappointed.

SophiaEL34night.jpg

The blue glass does not have any effect on the glow, so that's it guys, normal lightning. Now back on Mullards and some well deserved heavy metal.

Sep 10, 2021 at 6:57 PM Post #1,226 of 3,618
I'll tell all one secret: I've always been into G'N'R. These guys were special to me since I was 12. I have no idea why :)
And one of the songs I've always had on my top 3 was Coma.

I listen to Coma for tens of years and it remains in present. This song tells so much.

Sep 10, 2021 at 7:11 PM Post #1,228 of 3,618
Mine is December, I was born in it. :D November Rain is a very good song and I've listened to it thousands of times but I am aging and I start to loose patience. 10 years ago I was able to listen to it, now I have no patience. It is too slow for me. There is a funny story, when I was a kid I was listening to 30% classical and 70% metal. I was always joking with my friends that when we age, I'll be 70% on classical and 30% on metal. But things got out of control and I am now on 100% metal. Why? Hell knows. I still like classical and if I have a chance I listen to it but I became with age more and more addicted to heavy metal. I still love and know my symphonies but I always prefer fast intense music. Maybe I feel that time is running out. Hell knows, that's what it is.

Sep 10, 2021 at 8:16 PM Post #1,229 of 3,618
Some years ago I read about a study of musical preferences and IQ. It showed that people with preference for faster 'heavy rock' music in general had a higher IQ. That is not my kind of music - I want silence between notes to build up the yearning for more. To me, the silence is as important as the sound. Some would call me dumb or slow. Some would understand. We are all moving towards death and I am not in a hurry.

Sep 10, 2021 at 8:24 PM Post #1,230 of 3,618
I doubt that the study was right. I also read about higher IQ on heavy metal but this is just a story. I was on this "scene" for more than 30 years and met a lot of people, some smart and some just enjoying a beer. And in the end, what means to be smart? This is also a question. I would say we just enjoy our life and have fun.

But we speak and in the real life stuff is happening and this is Judas Priest playing live in 2021. I make efforts to catch them live this year, we will see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back