Tube rolling thread | UltraSonic Studios
Sep 10, 2021 at 8:54 PM Post #1,233 of 3,627
Now, well, honestly, UT if you consider higher IQ with classical you are off topic, in my humble opinion. :)

Edit:
I do not want to promote any genre of music. I am fully convinced that all are equal and we just need to enjoy.
I know that I have promoted heavy metal as personal opinion and I will stop doing this. It was just a personal touch on Eternity and what I am doing with it. I will try to stick with objective thread stuff.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2021 at 10:11 PM Post #1,234 of 3,627
I will end the evening with a story. We had debates about IQ or music genres which I consider irellevant. I was born in a musical family. One of my uncles was singing at cello in the local philarmonic orchestra. Now he is dead and I live in his house writing this story. As a kid I went many times to my uncle house. My father was more progressive with music but my uncle was not so. My uncle had brothers singing at several instruments like piano, violin and so on. And they all worshipped classical music. So I've grown with Beethoven, Mozart and many others. I was never a fan but I started to grow my own list. I liked a lot Tchaikovsky. Maybe he was more accessible to me, I have no idea but when my uncle was playing at cello I was loving it. Later I grew and started to like the Planets of Holst or maybe the 1st of Brahms. I love Brahms, hard to say why but I feel him close. I had a time when I loved baroque music, Albinioni, Vivaldi, Pachelbel or maybe Bach. I never studied or searched for music but I always had a feeling of time. I knew that was before that. And my uncle always helped me. He told me if that was before that and I was mistaking. I was just a kid. But in my heart I always felt need for speed, for intensity and this is why I started to love metal. I always found metal as a faster and more intense part of a chamber orchestra. I have no idea why, I always saw metal as the modern classical offering. Now I am a metal fan, I listen to heavy metal and drink a lot of beer. Besides that I have a career in IT and a beautiful family life. Why I have told this story? Because I felt I have a duty to explain my place here, my heritage and also why I consider heavy metal equal to classical music. You will judge me.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2021 at 11:05 PM Post #1,235 of 3,627
I will end the evening with a story. We had debates about IQ or music genres which I consider irellevant. I was born in a musical family. One of my uncles was singing at cello in the local philarmonic orchestra. Now he is dead and I live in his house writing this story. As a kid I went many times to my uncle house. My father was more progressive with music but my uncle was not so. My uncle had brothers singing at several instruments like piano, violin and so on. And they all worshipped classical music. So I've grown with Beethoven, Mozart and many others. I was never a fan but I started to grow my own list. I liked a lot Tchaikovsky. Maybe he was more accessible to me, I have no idea but when my uncle was playing at cello I was loving it. Later I grew and started to like the Planets of Holst or maybe the 1st of Brahms. I love Brahms, hard to say why but I feel him close. I had a time when I loved baroque music, Albinioni, Vivaldi, Pachelbel or maybe Bach. I never studied or searched for music but I always had a feeling of time. I knew that was before that. And my uncle always helped me. He told me if that was before that and I was mistaking. I was just a kid. But in my heart I always felt need for speed, for intensity and this is why I started to love metal. I always found metal as a faster and more intense part of a chamber orchestra. I have no idea why, I always saw metal as the modern classical offering. Now I am a metal fan, I listen to heavy metal and drink a lot of beer. Besides that I have a career in IT and a beautiful family life. Why I have told this story? Because I felt I have a duty to explain my place here, my heritage and also why I consider heavy metal equal to classical music. You will judge me.
Roll over, Beethoven!….🎸🎸🎸

Sep 10, 2021 at 11:25 PM Post #1,236 of 3,627
I saw a few metal bands in the early 90's when I lived in London. Back then there was no internet, but we'd see band posters for tours go up. As soon as we saw them being put up, we'd check out the London venue and head straight to the venue to get tickets. I'm not really a metal fan, but I did get tickets for Iron Maiden, WASP and a few underground metal bands. Have to admit I had fun at the concerts. I do like Motorhead and have seen them quite a few times. People who like metal are very passionate about the music, and its great to see that passion. It's not music that people grow out of.

In the early 90's I was more a fan of new wave, goth, alternative and then electronic music and festivals, underground raves and clubs. It was a great time to be in England for all of that. And I haven't grown out of any of that music either :)

Sep 11, 2021 at 2:52 AM Post #1,237 of 3,627
What is good with Ultrasonic Amp is that everyone can find the tone that match his preferred music style...Even with inexpensive tube (and a bit of luck) you can get great/addictive sound.

@OctavianH
To be honest, the tube sound is so enjoyable that each time i have to leave far from my amps it is always the same. When I'm back and can turn on tube amp it is always a joy. Currently it is Eternity and a year ago it was Euforia and same joy to be back to my setup with good headphone !
What i can tell, is that is not not the same wow effect with SS amps for me !

Sep 11, 2021 at 4:31 AM Post #1,238 of 3,627
I saw a few metal bands in the early 90's when I lived in London. Back then there was no internet, but we'd see band posters for tours go up. As soon as we saw them being put up, we'd check out the London venue and head straight to the venue to get tickets. I'm not really a metal fan, but I did get tickets for Iron Maiden, WASP and a few underground metal bands. Have to admit I had fun at the concerts. I do like Motorhead and have seen them quite a few times. People who like metal are very passionate about the music, and its great to see that passion. It's not music that people grow out of.

In the early 90's I was more a fan of new wave, goth, alternative and then electronic music and festivals, underground raves and clubs. It was a great time to be in England for all of that. And I haven't grown out of any of that music either :)
I didn't knew you left England for Canada. Indeed you had interesting times. We were lucky maybe, now in the Covid times everything changes.

Sep 11, 2021 at 4:51 AM Post #1,239 of 3,627
What i can tell, is that is not not the same wow effect with SS amps for me !
I've just sold my Beyerdynamic A2 and I still have the TT2 integrated amplifier. From time to time I try some of my headphones on that (usually when I get something new). I never felt that Elise or Eternity had a counterpart. From time to time I wonder why I have upgraded from Qutest to TT2 since I use half of the TT2 features. Well, upgraditis. Whenever I recommend something I always say "Qutest".

Sep 11, 2021 at 5:20 AM Post #1,240 of 3,627
Agree - IQ studies are often way off mark. I just wanted you to feel comfortable and special :smirk:.
At least you are special.

Edit. This reply was aimed at you, OctavianH.
I am not special at all, just a guy wanting to obtain more from its relaxation hours with music. Luckily my job allows me to listen to music most of the time (well, except meetings which in our "homeworking" times are more and more often and less efficient). And I am not smart enough to make a triple quote LOL.
I sometimes mix personal stuff with music or our hobby just to create a bond between our experiences and the person behind, of course keeping a little bit of anonimity. I have a feeling that in order to understand ourselves we need in first place to know ourselves a little bit. Every opinion here is very personal, based on expectatios and personal taste and then strongly biased by our listening chain. This is why I always say just a few words about a tube combo like "more neutral" or "warmer". I have a feeling that even I say more we are far away from a similar perception. Another reason for letting others say more in terms of audio is that I am not a native english speaker as many here, I can describe to tell a story but when coming tu nuances or tone I feel I cannot express the thing I hear in proper words. It is a limitation which people like me, coming from a latin language, are facing toward the native english speakers from these forums.

Later edit:
A good example of perception is the Sophia Electric EL34. Reading here I get mixed feelings about them. Many praise their musicality and richness while in my ears these are more on the neutral / tight side of things (of course compared with other EL34). Maybe they compare them with tubes in general and indeed, they are rich and musical, but compared with other EL34 tubes these are a kind of "Psvane CV181T2 vs other 6SN7" and I find them neutral, detailed and very clean, with low distortion and a lot of extension in the treble area (on my Beyers they were a little bit fatiguing on specific tube combos). Now, comparing what I hear with the website, well, a matter of perception.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2021 at 8:06 AM Post #1,241 of 3,627
Everybody is special - even you OctavianH. In that way we are all similar, or the same. We might prefer different music but we all love music. No musical form or genre is better than the rest. We can sample it all and choose what we prefer. I grew up with acoustical music, just like you, and that tone speaks to me a lot. Some music is boring to me, no matter what genre, other music is engaging. I can fully understand the similarity between classical music and metal and had I been younger (I have been), metal could have been my choice. I guess there is a period in life that makes us pick our choice.

I feel the same difficulties as you when it comes to expressing nuances in a foreign language. This is extremely annoying.

Sep 11, 2021 at 8:25 AM Post #1,242 of 3,627
Music is a form of art and everyone perceives it differently. As every form of art I associate it with emotion. But I have no idea why for me emotion has to be directly proportional with intensity and speed. It might be adrenalin, like those drivers who feel happy only on the road. Because there are a lot of slow and emotional songs which normally should provide the same feeling. Someone said that if you read 100 books you live 100 lives. I think that this is valid also for our hobby, trying to roll and change and listen to all these types of equipment is helping us enjoy the same song in 100 ways. Rock music cannot match the complexity of an orchestra. But at the level of emotion and intensity might generate similar feelings. I guess emotion and those feelings matter not the source of them.

In the last month I was away of amplifiers, I doubt I will ever need more than Eternity which is very flexible and can provide a good experience also with cheap tubes. As I said in many posts I guess you can be 95% happy with the Tesla EL34 and the GEC L63 clear glass, these being sold around 40 EUR / piece. For me these have a great synergy. But because if you let something go something else takes your sight, I started to read several headphone threads. Of course, I could not miss the Meze Elite one, the headphone being announced around 2 weeks ago. But unfortunately the thread has not convinced me to try it. What convinced me was the Kennerton thread and the Thekk model. So we will have soon a new chapter in Eternity's story, the Thekk on a tube amplifier. Let's see what this will bring us to the table.

Sep 12, 2021 at 8:05 AM Post #1,244 of 3,627
@SonicTrance I found on Oblivion thread a remark that on the other Eternity Low-Z is a 4 Ohm tap and High-Z is a 8 Ohm tap. Is this valid also for me right?
It's 4 and 16 ohms actually for both. But, it also depends on what load is on the primary. But around that anyways. As you see by the power output measurements most power is had at 8 ohms. It's not important anyway.

Sep 14, 2021 at 1:50 AM Post #1,245 of 3,627
Enjoying my recently refurbished Beyerdynamic T1.2. I hope the leather headband will last longer than the original one.

BeyerdynamicT1.jpg

Listening to the latest Leprous album, quite a surprise and something different from what I am usually listening (so don't be afraid to try it, you might like it LOL).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back