Tube rolling thread | UltraSonic Studios
May 12, 2023 at 6:37 AM Post #2,477 of 3,621
I still have Fivre and Visseaux 6N7, 6N7G. Not sure what to do with them. Also 2 pairs of Mullard EL32 still in unopen boxes.
I have a ST shaped Visseaux and it is my brightest piece of 6N7 (which is in my view a warmer type of tube). But does not sound bad at all and might do the trick in specific combinations. Those are quite rare so I would store it, you never know when you will need one. Mullard EL32 are still cheap and easy to find, but in Eternity they sound very nice. So I guess you should try them or just keep them for the future, you will not be disappointed by them. I have here 6 pieces.

May 12, 2023 at 6:41 AM Post #2,478 of 3,621
Mullard EL32 are still cheap and easy to find, but in Eternity they sound very nice. So I guess you should try them

I don't want to use a pair of EL32 in an adapter like I did back in GOTL. So I don't know when I will use them again.

Also 11 x 6bx7gt and 4 x 6BL7gt. I have a pair of 1635 !

May 12, 2023 at 11:27 AM Post #2,479 of 3,621
I might actually get a pair of headphones soon
Definitely and I learned that on the hard way, when KT66 did not sound in the same way as on my previous amplifier. But my problem was not that it was not sounding good, the signature was too lean and bright for me, because of the neutral tuning of UltraSonic. So it was sounding good but I wanted a more powerful and warm sound, not only those sweet mids and british flavour. Luckily I was able to get that with Mullard 807 or GEC ATS25 and in that case, I found my rest. I also started to appreciate more EL34 which on Elise was not sounding as good to me, being too relaxed.

You should do this, 6N7 will be a nice surprise, believe me. What is interesting for me is that you cannot find a lot of listings on Ebay for 6N7. Were these produced for a shorter period of time? Since nobody cares about them I would expect these should be widely available.
I have a feeling that the 6sn7 and its miniature cousins were the most widely manufactured twin triodes. The 6n7 was probably not built in nearly the same quantity probably because so much less stuff used it. There aren’t as many “exotic” 6n7 tubes but there are plenty of American ones and its predecessor on the other base to be had. Tube dealers seem to have plenty of stock. So many of us got used to trawling eBay for rare tubes that we forget about tubes dealers. They have been my source of all of my best deals!

May 12, 2023 at 11:35 AM Post #2,480 of 3,621
There aren’t as many “exotic” 6n7 tubes but there are plenty of American ones and its predecessor on the other base to be had.
If you're referring to 6A6 it is on my radar. But I'll need an adapter to it, seems to bias the same as 6N7. Anyway hard to find.

Last edited:
May 12, 2023 at 2:00 PM Post #2,481 of 3,621
I do have 6A6 tube and adapters. Big chuncky adapters that I use as paper weight now.

s-l1600 (15).jpg

May 12, 2023 at 2:15 PM Post #2,482 of 3,621
Well, I'll think about it if I'll have some tubes. 6N7, 6SL7 and ECC40 are my top 3 at the moment for input stage. For output stage 807, EL81 and 4654K. So, at the question "What you'll take with you on a lone island?", the answer is "These and a couple of beers." since today is Friday Beerday. And since we are speaking about 6N7 here is my Visseaux one on a select company of a bavarian "weisse".

6N7_beer.jpg

Hmm, that 6A6 socket does not have a guiding pin, it seems similar with the ECC40 "rimlock" one.

Last edited:
May 14, 2023 at 2:03 PM Post #2,483 of 3,621
Well, I'll think about it if I'll have some tubes. 6N7, 6SL7 and ECC40 are my top 3 at the moment for input stage. For output stage 807, EL81 and 4654K. So, at the question "What you'll take with you on a lone island?", the answer is "These and a couple of beers." since today is Friday Beerday. And since we are speaking about 6N7 here is my Visseaux one on a select company of a bavarian "weisse".

Hmm, that 6A6 socket does not have a guiding pin, it seems similar with the ECC40 "rimlock" one.

Actually, two pins are thicker than the other five, so it's not possible to insert the tube wrong. :)

Last edited:
May 14, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #2,485 of 3,621
Got a package from @Deyan! First up, 2x triode wired Fivre 12j7.
IMG_0616.jpeg

Triode working should make these a 12v 6c5. Initial impressions compared to the Tungsol BGRP is that they have more space and are more mid forward. Will let these cook for at least the next couple of days. Here’s the current amp setup:

IMG_0617.jpeg

May 21, 2023 at 12:29 PM Post #2,486 of 3,621
I started to keep the same combination for days or even weeks. But from time to time I start to miss something. So today I went for Telefunken EL803 with Phillips ECC40 Sittard. Definitely an interesting combination. I guess the trick of EL803 is that higher gain Telefunken tubes are not so dry or bright as expected while keeping a decent level of detail retrieval. This is why I like ECC801S and also EL803. I have to dig in the storage for the EL34 ones because I haven't listened to them for a long time.

ECC40_EL803.jpg

May 21, 2023 at 1:53 PM Post #2,488 of 3,621
Nice glow there. Must sound wonderful.
It's a nice sound, the only thing I can dislike is that it's a little bit dense. But in that case I can easily switch to 6C4 which are spacious. The good thing with EL803 is that it let's me enjoy lower gain tubes on input. And this is a good thing, I have a few and always preferred to use higher gain ones instead of them.

May 23, 2023 at 8:59 AM Post #2,489 of 3,621
6C4 is very nice with EL803I have several pairs here but CV133 KB/Z are a very good match, so I remained with these for a few days. I find the sound somehow delicate but energetic. I know it might sound strange but this is how I would describe it. I am glad that I finally found a cure to my lower gain input tubes. Now I will listen more and more to these since I know that EL803 might compensate the relaxed signature and add a little bit of speed. The key to a good tube collection is diversity, and here EL803 earns a special place, and EL83 in general. Is this the sound of EL84? I have no idea, I never tried EL84, but it might be.

6C4_EL803.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back