Tube rolling my cd player ?
Jun 10, 2007 at 7:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

nc8000

Headphoneus Supremus
I have a Jungson cd player with (according to the seller) bog standard ECC82 tubes in the output stage. Would it be worth it replacing these tubes with something better and if yes, then with what and where to get them ?

Jun 10, 2007 at 10:49 PM Post #2 of 15
Jun 11, 2007 at 4:17 PM Post #3 of 15
Thanks, will start reading

Jun 13, 2007 at 4:24 PM Post #4 of 15
OK, I opened the player and found that the tubes were 6201 (3 of them). I have talked with Brent Jessee at audiotubes and ordered 3 A2900 NOS 1960's tubes. I hope I can tell the difference when I get them (and that the difference is to the better).

Jun 13, 2007 at 10:46 PM Post #5 of 15
WOW!!!! Those A2900 are uber-rare tubes, and not at all cheap. I do hope that their sound is greater than their cost.

Make sure to come by and post on how the new tubes sound once you get them. I for one am dying to know about their sound from an impartial person.

Jun 14, 2007 at 9:56 AM Post #6 of 15
Will do. I should have them in a bout 2 weeks time and Brent said to expect at least 75 hours burn-in before forming any opinion on them

Jun 20, 2007 at 3:56 PM Post #7 of 15
Have just received the tubes and put them in to the player. Even with no burn-in or much warm-up I think they are going to be just what I have been looking for. Will report back after the 3-4 days of burn-in.

Jun 20, 2007 at 8:44 PM Post #8 of 15
Sweet! Thanks for the update on what's going on with your new tubes. I'm glad to hear you found something you like, and am now really looking forward to hearing about these new tubes after a couple of days spent with them.

Jun 26, 2007 at 6:19 PM Post #9 of 15
The tubes now have 100 hours burn-in and they are proving to be what I hoped. The soundstage has opened up further in all directions and the warmth added especially to female vocal and solo cello is fantastic. The bass is nice and controlled but not dominating.

Is the upgrade objectively worth the price ? Probably not but I love the improvement (imho) and since they wil probably last like 10 years the price per play hour is next to nothing compared to the added pleasure it will give me. I will now not do any more changes to my home setup up until something breakes. Honestly .... Spend the money on more great recordings and enjoy the music.

Jun 26, 2007 at 8:17 PM Post #10 of 15
Glad to hear that the new tubes are what you were looking for. At a 10,000 heater life span these should last many, many years - all of which will be enjoying great sounding music.

And I agree with your advice - get the gear sounding good, then focus on the music and increasing the selection.

Jun 28, 2007 at 3:04 PM Post #11 of 15
I have had good luck with NOS from Ebay vendors with long feedback records and good tube testers.

Look for one that has the test results on the listing.

Jun 28, 2007 at 3:52 PM Post #12 of 15
I use Mullard tubes on my Cary CDP FWIW. Tubed output players are really the only players that really get me close to analog enjoyment.

Jun 28, 2007 at 7:54 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use Mullard tubes on my Cary CDP FWIW. Tubed output players are really the only players that really get me close to analog enjoyment.

I agree. I originally had the solid state version of the Jungson player but managed to do a swap plus money with the danish distributor to the tubed version wich in it self was a big step up and now with the new tubes it is even better. I absolutely love it. Problem is I'm not getting to sleep until 2-3 in the night for listening and having to get up before 6 this is getting problematic. Have to force myself to turn off earlier or my employer will start complaining.

Jun 28, 2007 at 8:16 PM Post #14 of 15
^ ha ha I know what you mean.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back