Tube Rolling Guide?
Mar 8, 2008 at 2:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

fateicon

100+ Head-Fier
I just got a Darkvoice 332 and ordered some Mullard M8100s, but I'm new to this whole thing and want to be sure I know what to do before swapping tubes. Anyone know of a guide that explains all this tube rolling stuff?

Mar 8, 2008 at 3:04 AM Post #2 of 4
Not too much to it really. Turn off your amp and give the tubes time to cool off. For consistency I always allow 15-20 minutes, but in all reality, they will cool faster.

Be careful when removing the tube. Gently rock it from side to side while bringing it out of the socket. The rocking is actually where the phrase "tube rolling" originated from.

Line up the pins of the new tube with the socket and gently press it into place. Just be gentle. It doesn't take much force.

Turn on amp and enjoy!

Just a note, I tend to avoid touching my tubes with my bare hands, i use latex gloves. I do this to keep any oil from my fingers off the glass. The glass heats up pretty good sometimes and any oil, or whatnot, on the glass could possibly aide in the glass cracking. This is just me, so please don't take it as a must do. I have, on many occasions, used my bare hands. I just try not to.

Mar 8, 2008 at 3:32 AM Post #3 of 4
"The glass heats up pretty good sometimes and any oil, or whatnot, on the glass could possibly aide in the glass cracking. "

This isn't a problem. Halogen light bulbs get real hot and it's an issue with them but not vacuum tubes.

Mitch

Mar 8, 2008 at 10:11 AM Post #4 of 4
Check out this seller (eBay Seller: yen1233: Home Audio, Consumer Electronics items on eBay.com) on ebay, all of his EF95 tubes will work on the Darkvoice 332 and he usually has some very nice ones. I think he carries the upgraded Russian power tubes for the 332 as well. The Little Dot crowd here on head-fi recommends him very highly and he's one of the best tube dealers I've dealt with in my experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back