Tube pin cleaning, tube dampers, and other question...
Nov 17, 2008 at 9:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

Headphoneus Supremus
What is the best method of cleaning/polishing tube pins? They are usually steel, right? I have Brasso and Naval Jelly -- would either of those work?

Also, what are the best tube dampers that you can still buy (are still in production)?

Finally, with a SE OTL tube amp, they typically are poor matches for a low impedance headphone. Would using some kind of inline adapter to add impedance rectify this issue? If so, where could I get impedance adding adapters?

Nov 17, 2008 at 10:11 PM Post #2 of 35
As far as tube pin cleaning goes, put the tube in a flat bottom bowl, put clr in the bowl pin high. Let sit for 10 mins., wash the pins with warm water dry and then put caig de-oxit gold on the pins. I use Herbies's tube dampers.

David

Nov 17, 2008 at 10:56 PM Post #4 of 35
I presume he means "cleaner".

Go to Radio Shack and buy some DeOxit. Follow the instructions. I use a baby toothbrush for the cleaning step.

Nov 17, 2008 at 11:48 PM Post #9 of 35
Since it appear the OP's question was answered, perhaps I can ask a quick tube question here rather than starting a new thread . . . .

Does a tube's glow give any indication of it's condition or performance?
Like for instance should a matched pair of tubes glow at the same brighteness?

Nov 18, 2008 at 12:04 AM Post #10 of 35
I have used a cleaning brush to clear any solid oxidation, followed by acetone, rinse and dry with a soft cloth. The area I haven't tried to clean are the sockets. Anybody have an idea?

Nov 18, 2008 at 12:21 AM Post #11 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have used a cleaning brush to clear any solid oxidation, followed by acetone, rinse and dry with a soft cloth. The area I haven't tried to clean are the sockets. Anybody have an idea?

Pipe cleaners are also a great match for sockets..

Nov 18, 2008 at 12:24 AM Post #12 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since it appear the OP's question was answered, perhaps I can ask a quick tube question here rather than starting a new thread . . . .

Does a tube's glow give any indication of it's condition or performance?
Like for instance should a matched pair of tubes glow at the same brighteness?

No. The tubes filaments are what glow and sometimes an identical tube will have slightly more or less filament exposed because of normal production variations. Such tubes would have a different brightness level but be performing the same.

Nov 18, 2008 at 1:17 AM Post #14 of 35
thank you
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 18, 2008 at 1:19 AM Post #15 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatFan12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pipe cleaners are also a great match for sockets..

I like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back