Tube output
Oct 11, 2017 at 10:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

koover

Headphoneus Supremus
Ok, I'm new to the tube game and I mean new. So my question is.....

Are there tubes that do not put out the same power/volume/output as as other tubes do? I really have no clue.

I ask because I've rolled 3 sets of tubes with each having close to the same output in volume when I A/B with my Lyr2 and Jot.

I just rolled the latest tubes I have and there's a pretty big discrepancy between the 2 amps in volume but only with this particular tube.

Bad tube? normal? I should have the common sense to know this?

Oct 11, 2017 at 11:01 PM Post #2 of 4
If your rolling tubes in the Lyr2 then should not be a big difference as you are just rolling tubes on the input stage and not the output stage as that is solid state as with most hybrid amps.

Oct 11, 2017 at 11:20 PM Post #3 of 4
Would you have any idea why this would be? It's quite a substantial difference in output between the 2 amps.

OK, here's a confession. I misunderstood some direction from another head/-fier, entirely my fault. I used an adapter I shouldn't have, inserted into the socket, turned on the Lyr and obviously nothing happened. The tubes stayed cold, no glow. I didn't plug in the headphones though which probably doesn't make a difference. Was told to turn the amp off immediately which I did. Took out the adapter, fired it back up and it worked. Do you think I could have damaged the amp? It still sounds very solid quality wise but the volume is very subsided versus the Jot now, when it was very close in volume match before.

Oct 12, 2017 at 2:46 AM Post #4 of 4
Are there tubes that do not put out the same power/volume/output as as other tubes do? I really have no clue.

I ask because I've rolled 3 sets of tubes with each having close to the same output in volume when I A/B with my Lyr2 and Jot.

I just rolled the latest tubes I have and there's a pretty big discrepancy between the 2 amps in volume but only with this particular tube.

Different tube brands and types (if the amp can use several different interchangeable tube types) can have different gain levels.

Output power still depends on the circuit and power supply design.

Would you have any idea why this would be? It's quite a substantial difference in output between the 2 amps.

OK, here's a confession. I misunderstood some direction from another head/-fier, entirely my fault. I used an adapter I shouldn't have, inserted into the socket, turned on the Lyr and obviously nothing happened. The tubes stayed cold, no glow. I didn't plug in the headphones though which probably doesn't make a difference. Was told to turn the amp off immediately which I did. Took out the adapter, fired it back up and it worked. Do you think I could have damaged the amp? It still sounds very solid quality wise but the volume is very subsided versus the Jot now, when it was very close in volume match before.

Did you try the old tubes back on the Lyr? The new tubes could have lower gain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back