Tube guys - are Siemens ECC81 12at7s any good?
Apr 21, 2002 at 12:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

dcg

Became Capt. Napalm tocombat apartment robberies!
Hope so, because I just grabbed some on ebay. I've become inspired by hearing Hirsch's tube rolled ZOTL and seeing his mammoth collection.
biggrin.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1345557971

Comments? (If I paid too much, feel free to tell me, I can take it.)

Apr 21, 2002 at 12:29 AM Post #2 of 5
Depends on year of make. Are they NOS (how old), used, are they labelled made in Germany, etc. Supposed to be very good tubes if thy're 50's 60's vintage. E-bay alway struck me as a scary place to buy tubes. Good luck!

markl

Apr 21, 2002 at 3:13 AM Post #3 of 5
You got a good deal on the tubes, if the ad is correct and they're NOS. What I don't know is how the tubes RFT made on Siemens equipment sound compared to true Siemens, which are my favorite 12AT7 (well, Amperex made by Siemens, anyway).

Incidentally, if you want to try any of my tubes in your ZOTL, just give a call. You're welcome to bring your ZOTL by to try some tubes, and to borrow interesting ones for a few days to get a better feel for them. I can also test your new tubes for you if you want (I found a tube tester to be an essential piece of equipment for buying off of ebay).

Apr 21, 2002 at 3:21 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
You got a good deal on the tubes, if the ad is correct and they're NOS. What I don't know is how the tubes RFT made on Siemens equipment sound compared to true Siemens, which are my favorite 12AT7 (well, Amperex made by Siemens, anyway).

Incidentally, if you want to try any of my tubes in your ZOTL, just give a call. You're welcome to bring your ZOTL by to try some tubes, and to borrow interesting ones for a few days to get a better feel for them. I can also test your new tubes for you if you want (I found a tube tester to be an essential piece of equipment for buying off of ebay).

Well, the guy had great feedback so I'm assuming (always a dangerous thing) that his description is accurate. the fact that they're made by RFT was my main concern. Guess I'll just have to wait and see (hear?). I'm heading home around May 9, but maybe I can find some time before then to stop by again, I would like to test them out on your tester, and maybe even get your impression of them, as you've obviously heard a lot more than me. Plus, I don't need four, so if you do like them maybe I can swap them for a pair of something you've got extras of (there've gotta be some extras in that collection).

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back