Tube Damper?
Mar 27, 2005 at 10:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

palchiu

500+ Head-Fier
Put the tube damper on the tube, is that will really effect the sounds?
confused.gif

Any one try the tube dampers?

Thanks!

Mar 27, 2005 at 5:01 PM Post #5 of 8
I find they make a small positive difference.

Biggie.

Mar 27, 2005 at 5:32 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by palchiu
Put the tube damper on the tube, is that will really effect the sounds?
confused.gif

Any one try the tube dampers?

Thanks!

First of all, you gotta use a good tube damper. Not all are created equal. Herbie tube dampers seem to hit the price/performance ratio sweet spot.

Also, tube dampers will show most benefit when speakers are used. It's the vibrations from speaker/room that's most detrimental to microphonic tubes. In a pure headphone system, tube dampers may not have such big effects, especially if the tubes aren't overly microphonic (all tubes are microphonic to some degree if fed enough vibration).

Mar 28, 2005 at 5:01 PM Post #7 of 8
If you have a set of tubes that are noisy or has microphonics, use tube dampers to silence them. As mentioned they can also improve sonic qualities of a quiet tube. I have Herbie's Halo tube dampers, they aren't expensive at all and does the job it was designed to do.

Mar 28, 2005 at 5:15 PM Post #8 of 8
My amp uses tube dampers on the 6AQ8 tube, and 2 of the 12AX7 tubes. They are a bit loose because of the tube rolling I did to the amp. I have tried to tighten them back as much as possible, but I don't think they are quite as tight on the tubes as they were before I messed with it. Will this affect anything?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back