Tube Amps
Jun 20, 2005 at 1:56 PM Post #2 of 29
Interesting. The pro model would handle the lower impedence of many headphones. But what is the price?

I would do a search, which I just did, and you find quite a bit of information on the Earmax. If you were to get one I would only go with the Pro model. Having said that, at the price there is much available.

John

Jun 20, 2005 at 2:03 PM Post #3 of 29
the earmax pro is one of the best available tube amp in comm. market .
attack , balance and timbre - moreover it shines on changing tubes .
don't know where I read the std. earmax is really not on par with it..
moreover few people really give notice about it ..

Jun 20, 2005 at 4:41 PM Post #4 of 29
The owner's selling a good condition and well taken care Earmax but its been used for almost 7~8 years? He's selling it around $160....

Jun 20, 2005 at 4:58 PM Post #5 of 29
I have the Earmax Pro anniversary edition, and its very good, musical, liquid midrange, good soundstage, and when you change tubes you can hear it. I have Siemens Cca'a in there now and the pleasure is great. For $160, why not, even though its the standard model. And get some nice tubes to play with. I might be able to sell you some.

Jun 20, 2005 at 6:09 PM Post #6 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by razer
The owner's selling a good condition and well taken care Earmax but its been used for almost 7~8 years? He's selling it around $160....

ok , give me the link
very_evil_smiley.gif

160$ is worth getting it ! if no taste for your hears / equip you can try it and resell it on ebay at least for the same price

Jun 21, 2005 at 6:45 AM Post #7 of 29
I have the EarMax A.E. and this is the most natural sound I have listened in my life (with the DT 880). The stock NOS tubes are great, now I have ordered a set of NOS Telefunken, just to see were the sound go...

Best!
Nicola

Jun 21, 2005 at 9:55 AM Post #8 of 29
The Earmax amp (not the Earmax pro) was made to be used with high imp. phones. If your using Sonys or Grados, or other low imp. phones you should look elsewhere. Maybe hold out for one of the pro models.

Jun 21, 2005 at 11:45 AM Post #9 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins
The Earmax amp (not the Earmax pro) was made to be used with high imp. phones. If your using Sonys or Grados, or other low imp. phones you should look elsewhere. Maybe hold out for one of the pro models.

you beat me to it, tom.
wink.gif

if you ARE using a low-Z phone, perhaps an eddie current hd-25 or mapletree audio EAR++ may serve you better. from member feedback here, the EarMax (non-pro/AE) and WooAudio3 distort with low-Z phones.

Jun 22, 2005 at 11:27 AM Post #11 of 29
I have the Jasmine T200, it serves both as a headphone amp and as a computer/gym integrated amp. Pretty neat with the USB/DAC interface. The only comparison I made was with an Antique Sound Lab and I prefered the Jasmine. I changed the Chinese tubes for Russian NOS, more liquid mids...

Here is the link to the company and us distributor:

www.jasmineaudio.net
www.hawaiiaudio.com

Cheers.

Jun 23, 2005 at 2:15 AM Post #12 of 29
Wow, I'd take it at $160 and I absolutely do NOT need it!
tongue.gif
It should be a great intro to tubes assuming that it is in decent condition.

Jun 23, 2005 at 2:26 AM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by daycart1
Wow, I'd take it at $160 and I absolutely do NOT need it!
tongue.gif
It should be a great intro to tubes assuming that it is in decent condition.

agree. something like this dont come up often, and its a great way to get started with tube amps. if you decide to upgrade to higher impedance headphones later on, you'll have a pretty decent amp on hand.

Jun 23, 2005 at 4:54 PM Post #15 of 29
Ok, so other than the Earmax, anyone knows any cheap and good tube amps? I mean, I don't mind getting a cheap tube amp with good internals but lousy tubes cause I can always change them right? The Little Dot from china seems good but the colour scheme is really horrendous...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back