Tube Amp Vs Solid State (My Questions)
post-490790
Post #16 of 20

george

Head-Fier
Reaction score
Tube amp clipping is generally thought to be less hard on the ears than when transistior go into clipping and it may be related to even order vs. odd order harmonics.

Here are a couple of links on tubes and impedance. It seems the answer is "it depends." Apparently OTL amps do not have as difficult a time with impedance matching as do other tube amps, but I may be assuming from the context of what I have read.

http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.pl?f...ce&r=&session=

http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.pl?f...ce&r=&session=

Have fun and enjoy the music...

post-491392
Post #17 of 20

D-EJ915

He...or is it she...is a......Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Quote:

All the power was going to woofers whilest tweeters were proably getting less than 1 watt.

haha, I was using speakers that use 1 Tang-Band 3" driver with Alu Phase plug each, they didn't sound very good with the Sharp, far worse than with the sub (Z-560)...haha

post-487320
Post #18 of 20

Habib

500+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Wow, that's really complicated set of questions. Well done mkmelt for the detailed explanations. I dont think I can handle that. But I can share with you my experience with SS/tube amps that are in the same class (Gilmore V2 and Head). I know Head can be have cheaper used but I am looking at the retail value + tubes required to make it sound good. In that case they come out roughtly in the same park.

For disclosure reason I will tell you that I like tube sound better. Warmth is the obvious reason for going tube. Another thing I really like about tube sounds is the extension. I really like how one note extends into the next. To me, the SS sounds more discrete. As in one note is followed by another but is not as continuous in between. The extension of the tube amp is a big plus for me especially for classical music. If they are instruments, SS is piano, tube is violin. Kind of like when you hit a key on the piano it makes a sound, whereas violin you have to continuously make contact between the bow and the strings. I realize it's very a very crude analogy but that's my take on the two types of amps.

post-487333
Post #19 of 20

markl

Hangin' with the monkeys.
Member of the Trade: Lawton Audio
Reaction score
Also, one thing to consider with tube amps is that you will want to add NOS (new old stock) tubes to your amp (new tubes are sadly not as good as many older tubes). These NOS tubes are getting extremely expensive, and they don't last forever, you have to keep shelling out for more tubes as they wear out. NOS stocks are drying up rapidly. Reliable dealers who will sell you what you paid for that have what you want can be hard to find. There are shady characters out there. You have to spend A LOT of time researching tubes so you know what to buy, this may be fun for you, may be hell. In the future you may have a KILLER tube amp, but no more good tubes available to put in it.

I love the tube sound, but it comes with a lot of baggage. You have been warned!

Mark

post-487338
Post #20 of 20

dd3mon

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Some new tube-amp designers are voicing their amps around some good current production tubes (for example, the upcoming HeadRoom tube amp line). These types of amps are nearly as 'plug and play' as SS amps. Just gotta watch for tubes going bad or burning out.

-dd3mon

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)