Tube amp recs for Shure SRH840
Apr 8, 2010 at 8:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Elorian

New Head-Fier
So its time to buy an amp for my SRH840s and I would like to hear people's thoughts on a good tube amp for these in the <$450 range.

My short list is currently:
Audiotailor Jade
Little Dot MKIII
Little Dot MK IV (or IV SE)

I want to be sure I don't get any hum (the Jade is rumored to be totally silent, not sure about the LDs). Also, I don't mind spending a little on NOS tubes down the road (Raytheon 5751 windmill getter, GEC 6AS7G for the Jade assuming I can find them, not sure if I go with a LD).

What does everyone think of these options for the 840s? Any help will be much appreciated
L3000.gif

Apr 8, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #2 of 8
Make sure you get one with a decent volume pot with least "channel imbalance at low volume" issues. This was a major headache for me with my old SRH840 and Head-Direct EF1, which uses a cheap pot and had imbalance at low range (and by the point of balance, it'd be too loud).

Anyways, do note that SRH840 is of both low impedence and high sensitivity (relatively speaking compared to other headphones out there), and that low end OTL tube amp will not be the best choice for it (look up "impedence mismatch" "OTL" "tube" "solid state" etc for more info). My 840's did sound great out of my WA6, but this is transformer coupled and bit over your budget... so for that budget I'd try to go with Solid State if possible.

Apr 8, 2010 at 9:01 PM Post #3 of 8
That is definitely one of my main concerns, and one reason that I have been leaning towards the Jade as it is evidently able to handle low imp cans. Thanks for the search tips- I'll take a look under those topics and see what people have said.

If I do get a Jade I'll add the alps pot upgrade for sure. Anyone tried the 840s w/ little dot?

Apr 8, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #4 of 8
My Firestone Little Country 3 just arrived today. I plan on using with RS1s I have on order but I do have a set of 840s at home so I can give this combo a try for you.

Apr 9, 2010 at 3:43 AM Post #8 of 8
Okay...

I have to say I am impressed with this Little Country 3.

My signal path prior to the plugging in the LC3 was this:
iTunes/iMac --> Presonus Inspire DAC/ADC --> Behringer MiniFBQ --> Behringer MiniMON --> Grado SR125/Shure SRH840

Since the LC3 has a bypass out I put the LC3 in between the Inspire and the MiniMON.

I really don't know how to describe what I'm hearing but it's definitely good. Real good.

With the old signal chain I can get a bit of hiss. The LC3 is quiet, no his or hum.

I haven't had enough variety and exposure to this type of stuff so its hard for me to describe the differences I am hearing. But a few words come to mind: crisp, detailed and full. Separation seems much improved as well.

I'm quite glad I picked this up.

Darcy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back